Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Honda Pilot Touring  (Read 6997 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Honda Pilot Touring
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:30:14 am »

Honda pulls out all the stops and presents a tech-rich new flagship for their model range that just happens to be a great family-hauling crossover too.
Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Honda Pilot Touring
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:57:14 am »
they all look the same...

Thought it was a Nissan....
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:33:55 am »

Yup...  That's why my neighbour bought a boxier 2015 model, because they felt the same way about the styling. 

Still, a crossover SUV isn't bought for fashion, it's bought for function.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline johnas

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:46:01 am »
I test drove a Pilot Touring yesterday. The vehicle looks much better in person. It definitely still looks like a Traverse or giant CRV but I was still pleasantly surprised after only seeing it in pictures online. I had similar issues with the driving assist technology as Jeff-however for the past nine years I have been driving a base model XTrail (which I still love but my family has outgrown) so technology beyond ABS is new to me ;D I don't think I will be buying the Pilot, as I liked the other vehicles I drove better.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:31:14 pm »
that looks like they took the CRV, and just increased the dimensions...meh...i much prefer the looks of the previous gen.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:39:28 pm »
Thats terrible....the old generation was much better looking. It was boxy, yes, but at least it stood out.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »
that looks like they took the CRV, and just increased the dimensions...meh...i much prefer the looks of the previous gen.
No different then Audi or MB, all their CUV's look the same

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 04:22:03 pm »
Gotta say I still like the look of the old first gen Pilot - a big box with big glass and purposeful looks.  That said, the CR-V look is popular so this will probably sell well.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 04:26:21 pm »
The looks are growing on me, but at first I was very disappointed.  I took the wife to look at one, she was "meh, it looks like a big CR-V, kinda van-ish." Haven't driven one yet, but we will probably be getting rid of the V within a year so I'm sure it'll be on the drive list.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 05:13:28 pm »

Yup...  That's why my neighbour bought a boxier 2015 model, because they felt the same way about the styling. 

Still, a crossover SUV isn't bought for fashion, it's bought for function.

I feel the opposite is true.  These are bought for fashion vs function.  If you need more than 5 seats a minivan is way more functional.  But, most people wouldn't be caught dead in one so a more stylish CUV it is.  If 5 seats will do one can argue most larger wagons do just as well in the function department. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 05:29:17 pm »

I feel the opposite is true.  These are bought for fashion vs function.  If you need more than 5 seats a minivan is way more functional.  But, most people wouldn't be caught dead in one so a more stylish CUV it is.  If 5 seats will do one can argue most larger wagons do just as well in the function department.

Sort of.  I considered a Sienna AWD, but don't need the extra seats and really wanted the extra ground clearance of the Highlander.  Remember than no mini-vans other than the Toyota come with AWD and none have additional ground clearance.

So, I don't really see vans ans SUVs as interchangeable.  But, for most people, I suspect they could be.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 05:34:47 pm »
The looks are growing on me, but at first I was very disappointed.  I took the wife to look at one, she was "meh, it looks like a big CR-V, kinda van-ish." Haven't driven one yet, but we will probably be getting rid of the V within a year so I'm sure it'll be on the drive list.

Any particular reason you'll be replacing the V so soon?  I'm asking because it's on my to-drive list for next year.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 06:51:32 pm »

Any particular reason you'll be replacing the V so soon?  I'm asking because it's on my to-drive list for next year.

Its been a great vehicle for what it is designed.  However, after downsizing to it from our Pilot, we are missing the extra room.  We are a family of four with a large dog and on long trips loaded with hockey gear or traveling for Xmas it gets a bit cramped.  Additionally, even though the V is much newer than our '03 Pilot, its missing something special.  We loved our Pilot, the V is just there.  Hard to explain, maybe its because the Pilot had a beauty of a V6, felt more substantial, I dunno.  We'll probably end up with something a little larger and luxurious next go around.  A used MDX will be on the top of the list me thinks.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:08:42 pm »
As much as I like the CRV/RAV/Forester size of vehicle, I hear ya on the size.  The extra room of the Highlander has been appreciated on every trip we've taken - usually with four and sometimes five people and all their gear.

I'd have to look carefully at the cargo space on the new Pilot - I like boxy spaces that hold a lot.  One thing I really didn't like about the Lexus RX was the sloping hatch door - we tried loading gear in the back and was disappointed - the Highlander otoh easily fit five expedition packs plus duffles.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:27 pm »

Its been a great vehicle for what it is designed.  However, after downsizing to it from our Pilot, we are missing the extra room.  We are a family of four with a large dog and on long trips loaded with hockey gear or traveling for Xmas it gets a bit cramped.  Additionally, even though the V is much newer than our '03 Pilot, its missing something special.  We loved our Pilot, the V is just there.  Hard to explain, maybe its because the Pilot had a beauty of a V6, felt more substantial, I dunno.  We'll probably end up with something a little larger and luxurious next go around.  A used MDX will be on the top of the list me thinks.

Oh I didn't realize you downsized from a Pilot. That would be quite a compromise by comparison. Pilot is probably a little too large for the two of us and just the small dog now.

Offline dymond

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Honda Pilot Touring
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 11:48:46 pm »
This review makes me so happy that I bought a 2015 Durango R/T. I sort of get the Pilot, but it's really just like buying a fridge. After the 5 minutes of excitement after you purchase wear off its really a very plain, sensible automobile that does very little to stir the soul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 04:31:17 pm »
This review makes me so happy that I bought a 2015 Durango R/T. I sort of get the Pilot, but it's really just like buying a fridge. After the 5 minutes of excitement after you purchase wear off its really a very plain, sensible automobile that does very little to stir the soul.

I like the looks of the Durango R/T better, and the sound of that V8 definitely makes it feel like a whole other vehicle.  Amazingly, my observed fuel economy in the R/T wasn't much worse than the Pilot's (though the Honda did see a little more city driving).  http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2015-dodge-durango-rt/?all=1

There is a level of luxury and refinement in the Pilot that the Durango doesn't match.  Two very different ways to achieve the same thing. 

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 07:35:58 am »

I like the looks of the Durango R/T better, and the sound of that V8 definitely makes it feel like a whole other vehicle.  Amazingly, my observed fuel economy in the R/T wasn't much worse than the Pilot's (though the Honda did see a little more city driving).  http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2015-dodge-durango-rt/?all=1

There is a level of luxury and refinement in the Pilot that the Durango doesn't match.  Two very different ways to achieve the same thing.

I see why you like the Durango:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1408_the_big_test_2014_three_row_crossovers/?fullsite=true