Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Scion iM  (Read 13964 times)

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: First Drive: 2016 Scion iM
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 11:26:33 am »
"we’re not getting the Mazda2-based iA sedan in Canada"

No loss there... :-X

Haha, while not a looker, the iA seems like a lot more fun to drive. It even comes with a conventional automatic transmission.

We are getting the Scion iA, but it's going to be called the Toyota Yaris Sedan.

Offline RaHorakhty

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Matrix
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 11:47:17 am »
This car is everything I want, but that's coming from a Matrix driver, so I'm biased. Yes, it's a dishwasher on wheels, but it just keeps on going. I don't care for loaded features because they stop working. <b>I also don't care for the cars this one competes with because they also stop working.</b> I was saddened when the Matrix stopped production because I wouldn't have a replacement, but thenI realized, I don't need a replacement because my car keeps on working. Plus, now this one is available. The other saddening thing is that as my family continues growing, one more kid and we'll have outgrown the car, so it's minivan time for me as my next set of wheels.
Really? So Honda Fit stop working???
The Fit is awesome and you still see older ones on the road. But, alas it's too small for kids and strollers and everything else that must fit in the car so I wouldn't call it competition with the iM. What would be awesome is the Corolla and Civic hatchback that they sell in Europe. Although this car may just be a rebadged Corolla hatch, I haven't been across the pond in a few years so I haven't seen the new ones.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 12:33:54 pm »
RaHorakhty,

We are getting the Civic hatch in about a year to go along with this new to us Corolla hatch.

What would be AWESOMENESS personified would be the Civic and Corolla (Auris) WAGONS that they sell to insufficiently grateful
Europeans. All the goodness of the hatches with an extra foot of cargo space and a real third side window!!!!

For some reason Autos.ca declined to publish the July story of the Civic Wagon (1.6 diesel) that averaged 100.31 mpg on a circumnavigation of Europe.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 01:08:00 pm »
This car is everything I want, but that's coming from a Matrix driver, so I'm biased. Yes, it's a dishwasher on wheels, but it just keeps on going. I don't care for loaded features because they stop working. <b>I also don't care for the cars this one competes with because they also stop working.</b> I was saddened when the Matrix stopped production because I wouldn't have a replacement, but thenI realized, I don't need a replacement because my car keeps on working. Plus, now this one is available. The other saddening thing is that as my family continues growing, one more kid and we'll have outgrown the car, so it's minivan time for me as my next set of wheels.
The Fit is awesome and you still see older ones on the road. But, alas it's too small for kids and strollers and everything else that must fit in the car so I wouldn't call it competition with the iM. What would be awesome is the Corolla and Civic hatchback that they sell in Europe. Although this car may just be a rebadged Corolla hatch, I haven't been across the pond in a few years so I haven't seen the new ones.

what about the HR-V?  Same platform as the Fit but a bit larger and taller and almost the same length as the iM.  FWD LX version in manual $20,690 and $21,990 in the CVT, exactly the same price as the iM  :D

Offline RaHorakhty

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 01:29:41 pm »
Here is the Corolla hatch SX version (likely S equivalent) that's being sold overseas.

Offline RaHorakhty

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 01:33:26 pm »

what about the HR-V?  Same platform as the Fit but a bit larger and taller and almost the same length as the iM.  FWD LX version in manual $20,690 and $21,990 in the CVT, exactly the same price as the iM  :D

HR-V looks like a sweet ride. If I don't add another kid to the brood before the Matrix runs out of figurative gas, I'll seriously consider it.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 02:07:29 pm »
"we’re not getting the Mazda2-based iA sedan in Canada"

No loss there... :-X

Haha, while not a looker, the iA seems like a lot more fun to drive. It even comes with a conventional automatic transmission.

We are getting the Scion iA, but it's going to be called the Toyota Yaris Sedan.

You're right.  It seems much more interesting to me.  It's basically a Mazda 2.  Article should be updated as right now it says we aren't getting the sedan. 

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 04:34:34 pm »
You're right. That's fixed.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »
Still not understanding the need for the Scion brand.  But, this is an interesting product - "Corolla-mostly-hatch."

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 05:34:04 pm »
Toyota dealers have been rightly ticked off by the demise of the Matrix which was one of their best sellers in Canada.

They will probably sell these iMs  as fast they can unload them off the ship in Vancouver.

As for the Scion brand across North America, I can only say that when Motorweek refuses to gush out hyperbole at the launch
of TWO new models you know you're in trouble.

Only the upcoming small Scion CUV can really resuscitate the brand Stateside.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 05:52:38 pm »
Coupled with the fact that not every Toyota dealer can sell Scions.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »
Some vehicles are cars. This is one of them. Devoid of any pretension whatsoever and any semblance of a unique-selling-proposition. Even the name is underwhelming. iA. Wonderful.

It deserves to  be forgotten.

Then there's the foreshortened ant-eater proboscis of the iM/Yaris  restyle of the pleasant Mazda2. Makes it look like the saddest little bucket on the road, permanently sniffing the ground for scraps to be vacuumed up. I wonder why Toyota even bothers sometimes.

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 06:44:33 pm »
What happened that the iM "Well, it’s pretty gutless but it’s good on gas" when the Corolla gets good reviews.  Gear down to third to pass is really a lack of power more like a Lada then a modern auto.

Offline Bruins7

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Audi A5, 2015 Kia Forte EX
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 11:54:56 pm »
This seems to me to be for the most part more of the same from Toyota lately. None of their vehicles are class leading. Most have powertrains that are closing in on a decade old. I know the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" works to some degree, but they may find themselves left behind in the future (like the old GM did).

This car should not have the essentially the same output as a 2003 Corolla, especially in the day of 138 hp subcompacts like the Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, and Chevrolet Sonic. At least have optional engines, to elevate the model range, like the VW GTI, Focus ST, Civic Si (R).

I give them some credit for trying to inject some youthful styling into their lineup, and this one looks "OK" but many look awkward.

It seems like Toyota is resting on the "reliability" laurels. All the more reason to sell this as a Toyota, some buyers may skip over it if all they want is boring transportation with a reputation for past reliability.

After reading many US magazine reviews of the iM and iA, it is kinda sad that the most enjoyable Scion (outside of FR-S) is a rebadged Mazda (iA), of which the biggest complaint was front end styling......which is the only part Toyota did.

Come on Toyota, you are capable of better. Get back to what got you to be the #1 car maker.....start pushing the envelope a little. This car had potential...but they blooped one over the infield rather than swinging for the fences.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 05:59:15 am »
There's many reasons why Toyotas are not popular in many parts of Europe.

My German colleagues have similar reactions to you guys: "Why would you buy a Toyota? There's no effort put into the design or engineering? And they're not that much cheaper than a Skoda or other entry-brand cars"
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline stargazer68

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2015, 10:46:30 am »
The test car is some shade of yellow, but the closest to that primary colour in your list of available shades seems to be Blizzard Pearl?
Or was the yellow left off the list?

I also can see Lexus CT200 in this car. Is there a familial connection (other than the similar outline)?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2015, 02:54:16 pm »
Unfortunately, as with so many Toyotas as of late....all show and absolutely no go.
This car should not have the essentially the same output as a 2003 Corolla, especially in the day of 138 hp subcompacts like the Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, and Chevrolet Sonic. At least have optional engines, to elevate the model range, like the VW GTI, Focus ST, Civic Si (R).
Have either of you actually driven a Corolla?  Fack, try driving a 3.1L V6 1998 Buick Century at elevation FFS.  I got into the RX400h at the airport this morning (I landed at 6am) and had to seriously slow down.  Then driving the 2010 Corolla to work?  I was practically flying.  These cars aren't slow.  The 1.6L in the Kia/Hyundai products is NOT the superior engine between itself and the little 2ZR-FE.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2015, 08:41:44 pm »
Toyota only needs to looks at all the people who swap Toyota badges onto their FRSs to see that the brand screams cheap, and many people seek to avoid it.  Just put Scion out of its misery already...  This is the GEO of toyota...

Offline sly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2015, 09:33:41 pm »
I have driven this car in Australia (Labelled a Corolla with various models available). They sell like hot cakes here. The dash is ill-designed and the visibility isn't great (all-around), but the space is good and I was amazed at the performance for a Toyota. The drive is truly spirited with the CTV (especially in sport mode), the handling is nothing short of a Golf and it has the best electric steering I have ever experienced (I rent and try a lot of different cars). You indeed feel connected to the road.

I would buy one.

P.S. Why buy this over a VW Golf? Well, it is no longer the boring Toyotas of yore. This one drives really well and feels as solid as any German car, but even better, it won't give you electrical gremlins everytime you drive it, it will actually always start and it won't catch fire.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 09:40:32 pm »

Have either of you actually driven a Corolla? Fack, try driving a 3.1L V6 1998 Buick Century at elevation FFS.  I got into the RX400h at the airport this morning (I landed at 6am) and had to seriously slow down.  Then driving the 2010 Corolla to work?  I was practically flying.  These cars aren't slow.  The 1.6L in the Kia/Hyundai products is NOT the superior engine between itself and the little 2ZR-FE.

I have plus a Matrix and Vibe andd all of then were slow.