Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagon  (Read 19579 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagon
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2015, 12:48:16 pm »
Urea is not required to achieve the Euro 6 emissions category. My Ford Mondeo has no urea tank yet meets the Euro 6 targets.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2015, 01:35:46 pm »
Even a "jacked-up" Golf Wagon/Alltrack isn't all that high. The ground-clearance is said to be 0.8 inches higher than standard so around 6.3 inches.  That's a lot different than the Legacy/Outback comparison where the Outback of today is around 2.5 inches higher than the Legacy-of-old.

For comparison .. the spec. for my '95 Legacy Wagon is 6.1 inches - which has been a nice height to be car-like but still get around the winter-rutted back lane or occasional rough-dirt-backroads (think .. Utah).  I prefer that to vehicles that are in the 5 - 5.5 range.

For me, a Golf Alltrack w/o all the "cladding and upscale-interior is the spiritual successor to Legacy - although a regular AWD Golf Wagon would come pretty close too (just want that extra 0.8 inches).

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2015, 02:21:51 pm »
Even a "jacked-up" Golf Wagon/Alltrack isn't all that high. The ground-clearance is said to be 0.8 inches higher than standard so around 6.3 inches.  That's a lot different than the Legacy/Outback comparison where the Outback of today is around 2.5 inches higher than the Legacy-of-old.

For comparison .. the spec. for my '95 Legacy Wagon is 6.1 inches - which has been a nice height to be car-like but still get around the winter-rutted back lane or occasional rough-dirt-backroads (think .. Utah).  I prefer that to vehicles that are in the 5 - 5.5 range.

For me, a Golf Alltrack w/o all the "cladding and upscale-interior is the spiritual successor to Legacy - although a regular AWD Golf Wagon would come pretty close too (just want that extra 0.8 inches).

^ Yup. I've read the same thing about the Alltrack and think it will feel noticeably more car-like than an Outback. Looking forward to test driving one when they come out.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2015, 04:44:13 pm »

i would agree with that.  good for vw for offering both options and not turning the all track  into a SUV.  too bad audi didn't keep the avant and the allroad both in NA.

wrt the urea system, who knows what vw is going to do.  audi announced the 2L tdi for the 2017 a4 sedan but hasn't mentioned if that's going to be dropped into the allroad here in NA.

^^^ unfortunately that's not so good news because the market has moved away from wagons. CUVs is where the hot spot is: riding high.
Subaru is lucky that the Outback is considered a CUV, I bet they get a big chunk of their sales from that.

Offline northernont

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Golf Wagon tdi
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2015, 05:01:08 pm »
The Outback currently has 8.7" of ground clearance and the upcoming 2017 vw golf wagon Alltrack is supposed to have less than an inch higher ground clearance than the current wagon ... so about 6.5".. thus it will definitely not be as high as the outback but also the Outback has a CVT tranny.... and reviews have stated that both the 4 cyl and 6 cyl lack any real gusto... not to mention the sewing machine-like sound of a CVT when you need some speed...

I currently own a 2012 tdi vw wagon and have started shopping for a new vehicle... the 2012 is a great car for 3 seasons but not great in the winter... I am looking at various models, A3 wagon TDI (too small cargo area vs vw), A4 allroad (again, smaller cargo area and no tdi), Jeep G. C. diesel (more expensive, not as good fuell economy but under consideration), Honda CRV (less fuel econ, ugly, and again CVT tranny, no diesel), audi q5 tdi (smaller cargo area), Mercedes GLE 350d, (more expensive, not as good on fuel but good quality/reliable, comfortable), and vw wagon alltrack....  possibly the vw tourareg but for some reason, perhaps looks and lack of prestige brand (which affects resale, like Jeep) for that amount of money, I am not too keen on it...

I would like the upcoming alltrack a lot better if they offered a tdi engine in the AWD car, and heated steering wheel option would be a nice touch, and power rear door too....if they don't offer the diesel, then I won't be interested....once you have had a tdi, difficult to return to a gas engine... less fill-ups, and passing gear on the highway is nice...     

I plan to test drive all vehicles I am considering and go from there.... however, I definitely feel that vw needs to offer a tdi version of the upcoming alltrack to differentiate itself from the subaru and all other awd crossovers out there... otherwise, it is just another awd vehicle among many... and vw might want to add a little more ground clearance rather than 6.5" (but I assume they are trying to conserve fuel consumption like the honda crv which has only 6.8" on clearance) 

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2015, 05:50:26 pm »
In Canada you can still get a manual transmission on the four-cylinder outback. That's what I did since I also couldn't go down the whiny CVT route. However, the 2.5 engine is really gutless, so it's certainly "relaxing" to drive rather than fun. The manual also isn't available on any trim higher than Touring, so if you want leather, nav, upgraded audio and manual, you're out of luck.

I don't know why Subaru doesn't offer the turbo engines from the Forester or Impreza in the Outback.

The Outback currently has 8.7" of ground clearance and the upcoming 2017 vw golf wagon Alltrack is supposed to have less than an inch higher ground clearance than the current wagon ... so about 6.5".. thus it will definitely not be as high as the outback but also the Outback has a CVT tranny.... and reviews have stated that both the 4 cyl and 6 cyl lack any real gusto... not to mention the sewing machine-like sound of a CVT when you need some speed...

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2015, 12:32:48 pm »
People don't rigidly cross-shop only within one category of vehicle. I considered the Outback, BMW 3-series wagon, BMW 428 and 435 gran coupe, used LR4, Golf wagon, GTI, even a used BMW 5 series GT. That's a pretty extreme range, but manufacturers themselves are encouraging this trend by diving into every niche.

Not sure why there's a comparison being drawn between the outback and the golf sportwagen.   Subaru should just bring the levorg. Who am I kidding, they'll just ruin it by giving it a CVT.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2015, 03:35:25 pm »
People don't rigidly cross-shop only within one category of vehicle. I considered the Outback, BMW 3-series wagon, BMW 428 and 435 gran coupe, used LR4, Golf wagon, GTI, even a used BMW 5 series GT. That's a pretty extreme range, but manufacturers themselves are encouraging this trend by diving into every niche.
I do.......I know I want "a compact 5-door hatchback", not "a vehicle in the 20-30k $ range".

But markets vary. Canada is practically 3 different markets within one country.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2015, 12:04:50 am »
I thought the TSI got the regular transmission that uses a TQ converter. Only the TDI get the DSG.

You're right. This is fixed. Cheers!

First page of the article, he refers to it as a "direct shift" transmission. ;)
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks