Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2016 Mazda MX-5 vs 2015 Scion FR-S vs 2015 Ford Mustang  (Read 25307 times)

Offline jj72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-4
    • View Profile
Re: Comparison Test: 2016 Mazda MX-5 vs 2015 Scion FR-S vs 2015 Ford Mustang
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 11:59:50 am »
I've driven all three and at 6'3 I was quite hesitant on getting into the seat of the MX5 because its always been such a tight fit.  Not so with the new model.  Thankfully it has the adjustable steering wheel that had always been missing.  The clutch and shifter are as close to perfection as it can get.  That shift knob is sublime and fits so well. 

The only mustang I would purchase needs that 5.0 V8.  The FRS needs a better interior and a few more ponies IMO but surprisingly, the MX5 with so little hp is quite amazing and literally a blast to drive.  Sure, my V8 sedan will run away from it in a straight line but I would happily choose the MX5 if I had a choice between these 3 four bangers. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 12:07:30 pm »
Well then... Sorry to have disappointed you! We tried but when they unleash me to go all-out in the entertainment department, I have people in the forum complaining that they want it more straight-laced and humourless.

Which is it?!!?!
Humour.  Always humour.  If I wanted straight-laced, I'd go read something on the Car Connection.  If I wanted what is intended to be funny but really isn't, I'd read Vaughan and Cato's crap in the Globe.

I come here for Aussie humour, impeccable grammar (::), or not), and a different take on the usual specification blurt-out.

Much appreciated :cheers:!!!!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 12:11:39 pm »
Nice review, sure. But totally useless to me as it was detached from reality.

You don't think there is anyone shopping this trio who is buying for fun only?
That seems unlikely.

But yes, you're right, the test is harder when you focus on everyday living.
If only somebody did that...
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-affordable-everyday-fun-cars/

We do a lot of reviews, from a lot of different angles, our intention is a strong breadth of coverage that is fun, entertaining and informative. This angle might not be entirely relevant to you, but the angle above there might also not be relevant to someone shopping these cars.

:D

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 12:26:53 pm »
You don't think there is anyone shopping this trio who is buying for fun only?

:hello:

MX5 please.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 12:58:05 pm »
I would hope the authors put a spin on it to make it interesting and entertaining?

The spin is in there. It's spelled "Jacob Black".
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 01:20:47 pm »

RE: MX-5 - The hardtop would add so much weight. Way too much weight. It literally takes 1.5 seconds to lower the top right now. Why ruin it?

If I were to buy a MX-5 again, it has to come with a removable hardtop as in NA and NB (not NC) to make it usable in the winter...leave the top in garage during summer and put it on during winter...have you driven a miata in the winter with only the softtop???...frost will form on the dash for the three winters that I had mine...I daily drove it year around (only have means for one car)...
its ok with only the soft top if you have two or more cars I guess

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 01:51:22 pm »
I think I'd enjoy the MX-5 as an occasional use car. It sounds like it would be fantastic. I would have no interest in driving it through an Edmonton winter though. I'd need to be in a higher income bracket to justify the cost based on the limited use.

The FR-S interested me for about 5 minutes when it first came out. Before picking that one, I'd need some kind of time machine that could send me back 30 years while simultaneously providing the income to afford one.

I haven't spent more than 10 minutes in a Turbo Mustang, but it sounds like the most well-rounded, real world choice. The FR-S and the MX-5 are hard-core sporty machines while the Mustang is definitely soft-core sporty. I think the hard core market is orders of magnitude smaller. Actually, I'd be quite surprised if many Mustang buyers even considered these other two.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 01:55:04 pm »
But yes, you're right, the test is harder when you focus on everyday living.
If only somebody did that...
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-affordable-everyday-fun-cars/

Thanks for that. That was a perfect example of an ideal article that I want to read. I knew you could do it :D so felt this one was a letdown.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 03:07:42 pm »
instead earning a few wins in aspects like cargo capacity, ride comfort and rear seat space and access

And this is why the Mustang will beat the other two like a red headed step-child in the sales race.

Also commenting on performance without actual data is pointless. "it feels quicker". But is it quicker? Well no.

Commenting on performance without referring to data is pointless? What are you, a robot?

It's not always about outright performance... it's often about the sensation and the experience.

A fully loaded V6 Accord or a new Maxima SR is a hell of a lot quicker than a Miata or an FR-S, but I sure as hell feel like I'm going a lot quicker with the top down and in a thing that weighs half of one of those things.
I

I WISH!  ;D

You've kind of outlined the difference between a grand touring car, which this version of the Mustang pretty well fits, and a sports car, a category in which the other two definitely qualify. Depends on what a person wants
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 03:15:56 pm »
I think I'd enjoy the MX-5 as an occasional use car. It sounds like it would be fantastic. I would have no interest in driving it through an Edmonton winter though. I'd need to be in a higher income bracket to justify the cost based on the limited use.

Anyone wanting to keep their Miata won't want to subject it to our winters.  The cold would be no issue, even with the soft top - even my old NA could easily keep the tiny cabin toasty in the winter.  It's the roads.  Salt and rocks and ruts - ugh.  Sand? When was the last time Edmonton actually used sand on the roads?  The 80s?  ROCKS.  Now it's all rocks.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 05:51:48 pm »
re: mustang ecoboost - they should have detune the 4 cylinder and made it the entry model and leave the V6 in the middle
re: FRS - besides these two, it just look cheap and fisherprice-like
re: MX-5 - waiting til the removable hardtop comes out so i can daily it all year around then I will sell whatever I have to get one

RE: Mustang - They should most certainly NOT detune it. The turbo model is far more fun to drive than the V6 and I had the chance to drive a modded Ecoboost with exhaust and it was awesome. Considerably more power and it finally sounded awesome.

RE: FR-S - I guess that's subjective as I find it doesn't look cheap at all. I find the finish in the interior to be pretty good for the segment. The Mustang feels far cheaper to me.

RE: MX-5 - The hardtop would add so much weight. Way too much weight. It literally takes 1.5 seconds to lower the top right now. Why ruin it?

Absolutely!  Kinda defeats the purpose!  Winter driving a roadster...?  Why?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 05:56:12 pm »
  Winter driving a roadster...?  Why?

Why not?  I see plenty of Miatas and Boxsters in the winter.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Comparison Test: 2016 Mazda MX-5 vs 2015 Scion FR-S vs 2015 Ford Mustang
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 06:03:00 pm »
If I lived elsewhere I'd be tempted to drive something nice in the winter. But here, it's not just a Miata. It's anything nice at all. Every car gets peppered by shockingly large rocks all winter. Add in massive potholes that aren't repaired until April and a winter here is just so hard on anything.

We have slightly better plowing but everything else is horrid.

I don't mind driving the old Highlander and even a newer truck or SUV would be fine as they tend not to have large painted front surfaces that are close to the road.

Anything low or with paint near the road would not be winter driven by me if I liked it or wanted to keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 09:07:27 pm »
re: mustang ecoboost - they should have detune the 4 cylinder and made it the entry model and leave the V6 in the middle
re: FRS - besides these two, it just look cheap and fisherprice-like
re: MX-5 - waiting til the removable hardtop comes out so i can daily it all year around then I will sell whatever I have to get one

RE: Mustang - They should most certainly NOT detune it. The turbo model is far more fun to drive than the V6 and I had the chance to drive a modded Ecoboost with exhaust and it was awesome. Considerably more power and it finally sounded awesome.

RE: FR-S - I guess that's subjective as I find it doesn't look cheap at all. I find the finish in the interior to be pretty good for the segment. The Mustang feels far cheaper to me.

Absolutely!  Kinda defeats the purpose!  Winter driving a roadster...?  Why?

Agreed, no interest in driving a roadster in the winter.  Why?  I guess the question is why would I?  I'm highly guessing that the vast majority of folks that purchase a drop top doesn't require it to be their winter vehicle as well. 

I haven't driven any of these, but based on what I've read, it would be a very close choice between the Mustang or the open air experience of the MX-5.  Hmmm, would probably end up with the MX-5. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 09:27:17 pm »
  Winter driving a roadster...?  Why?

Why not?  I see plenty of Miatas and Boxsters in the winter.

I didn't say it can't be done.  Refer to the above two posts as they covered it well enough. 

I really like the fact that they kept the mx5 as simple as possible as well.  Very well done!   :thumbup: 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:32:15 pm by KDS2K »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 10:20:11 pm »
instead earning a few wins in aspects like cargo capacity, ride comfort and rear seat space and access

And this is why the Mustang will beat the other two like a red headed step-child in the sales race.

Also commenting on performance without actual data is pointless. "it feels quicker". But is it quicker? Well no.

Commenting on performance without referring to data is pointless? What are you, a robot?

It's not always about outright performance... it's often about the sensation and the experience.

A fully loaded V6 Accord or a new Maxima SR is a hell of a lot quicker than a Miata or an FR-S, but I sure as hell feel like I'm going a lot quicker with the top down and in a thing that weighs half of one of those things.

Meh, the Accord is a bit quicker, if all you do is straigh aways.  Throw a few twisties in there, and it's neck and neck.  Plus you have to make sure the baby seats and strollers are out the family sedan too!  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 10:36:40 pm »
Or buy an S2000 and be happier.   ;D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 10:35:00 am »

Anyone wanting to keep their Miata won't want to subject it to our winters.  The cold would be no issue, even with the soft top - even my old NA could easily keep the tiny cabin toasty in the winter.  It's the roads.  Salt and rocks and ruts - ugh.  Sand? When was the last time Edmonton actually used sand on the roads?  The 80s?  ROCKS.  Now it's all rocks.
Yep.  I think the windshield replacement industry is in cahoots with the city.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 10:36:33 am »

Yep.  I think the windshield replacement industry is in cahoots with the city.

Oh they are definitely cahooting.......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 11:01:55 am »