Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Subaru WRX STI  (Read 18062 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Subaru WRX STI
« on: August 14, 2015, 06:30:33 am »

Boy racer dream.
Read More...

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Subaru WRX STI
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 07:13:12 am »
The local dealer here in Fredericton has 3 black STi's on there lot that have been sitting there for around 6 months now.  When I was talking to a sales person there this past weekend and I asked why they've sat so long he told me that they were all the Tech packaged STi, so the price tag of over $45,000.  He said they've had loads of interest in them but people either can't afford the payments or the insurance (he claims yearly premiums are in the $3,000-$4,000 range). 

These are definitely excellent performance cars, no one can argue that.  Some won't like the boy racer looks and attention you get with owning a STi.  The main reason I didn't opt for a STi was because as a daily driver it's just too focused for me. 

No mention of fuel economy for this test drive.  I get that no one buys an STi for fuel economy but I would have appreciated a real life number to compare to my numbers I'm getting with my R.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:25:39 am »
Makes me wonder how many would still be sitting there if Subaru had launched it has a hatchback. 

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:03:30 am »
I said this when the new STi was released - there's a lot more competition now and they have lagged behind with this car. When you're in the $40K-$50K range now there are a lot of options. I haven't test drove the Focus RS or the Golf R but I suspect I would go with either one of those over the STi if I were buying in this class.

But really you have the new Mustang GT, New Camaro SS, the CLA45/GLA45, 370Z, 235.......there are a lot of cars in this type of range (depending on your age) that I would either choose over the STi or think about spending $5K more to get myself into.

Yep.  This car just doesn't read to be that much better than the previous model released 9 years ago.    So many options depending on whether you value:  2 vs 4 doors, RWD vs AWD, Hatch or not, "lux" or raw....

Though I'd miss the hatch, I still like the new WRX has a relatively inexpensive AWD option.  The STI price bracket opens up a lot of competition.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:12:28 am »
Competitors:
Mini GP - Is anyone really cross shopping an STI with a Mini ?
Mitsubishi Evo - Thought they were discontinuing this model. Either way I lack the confidence in Mitsu future in N.A. to spend this kind of money with better grounded competition.
Volkswagen Golf R - Now were talking a true competitor. Would be based on a test drive as the deciding factor.
Focus RS - Not on the list but definitely a competitor at this price point, even if not for me.

Vmango brings up some good points. For 5K more your into some real competition. Or for similar money the Dodge Charger R/T ROAD & TRACK Starting At $42,495 or 2015 DODGE CHALLENGER R/T SHAKER 2015. If you like muscle for instance.  5.7L HEMI 470 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:25:59 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:24:27 am »
No mention of fuel economy for this test drive.
Come now - you didn't truly read the entire posted article then ;)

...and if you left it in S# all week, Jacob, then damnnnnnn I'm facking impressed.  Less impressed, I am, that you did not invite me out to test drive the epitome of what Noto would want.  For shame.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:00:05 pm by Noto »

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 10:44:13 am »
Yeah that 10.6L/100 km is on there but in now context.  That could have been at any point in the drive, it could be after a road trip.  I guess what I was looking for was a bigger break down of what he averaged over his time with the car, how much city and highway driving, and we're all assuming he drove rather aggressively.

All this talk about the Focus RS is great and all, but until it actually hits here with a proper test drive, with performance numbers and price, I'm holding off saying it's the savior we've all been waiting for.

I think the addition of a much better head unit for 2016 was a key improvement in my book.  I wonder if they'll be offering Eyesight safety tech with the WRX or STi.

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:46:24 am »
  No hatch...no sale. Engine has stagnated development wise, there are 2.0L's putting out more power. The steering issue mentioned in the article would be a deal breaker for me, that's 3 strikes Subaru.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 10:52:09 am »
Having owned 3 generations of WRX/STi's over a period of 10 years I just could not bring myself to own another one unless significant changes were made to stay with the competition. Ever since Toyota has bought into Subaru the WRX/STi has become vanilla and went form a leader to an also ran to a follower. An not having a hatch is just pure stupidity.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 10:57:23 am »
  ^^^^^

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 11:56:28 am »
For 46K, I'd throw the GLA45 ($50K) into the ring as well. 

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 12:09:23 pm »
Having owned 3 generations of WRX/STi's over a period of 10 years I just could not bring myself to own another one unless significant changes were made to stay with the competition. Ever since Toyota has bought into Subaru the WRX/STi has become vanilla and went form a leader to an also ran to a follower. An not having a hatch is just pure stupidity.

Bah.

The improvements to the current generation STI were significant in terms of handling.  With over 300 hp the new STI didn't need more power -- it needed more refinement and finer tuning to maximize the capabilities of the car.  This generation does that.  Only now have the competition caught up.

Now, the absence of a hatchback IS definitely pure stupidity.  The lease on my brother's '11 STI comes due next month.  He's had 3 consecutive Subarus, but will be leaving the brand now because they no longer want his business if they don't offer a hatchback.  He's been into VW (though encountered an aloof :censor: of a salesperson who apparently doesn't want his business either and basically said he won't be getting a Golf R if he didn't order it months ago).  So, he'll likely pick up a new Tacoma and leave the road thrills to his bikes. 

Biggest improvement for '16 is FINALLY putting a proper infotainment system in.  The unit in my '15 WRX is disgustingly bad.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Northernridge

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 12:23:21 pm »
Other than FGC reliability (lumping them together), is there another car company that gets as big of a free pass for what it does wrong than Subaru? Humdrum looks, terrible infotainment/stereo, uncompetitive gas mileage, cheap interiors (some of that is more historical). It shows that sometimes you only have to be good at certain things

Reminds me of when I drove the Forrester XT, I had to keep telling myself to not judge that book by its cover and ended up really liking it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 12:26:13 pm »

The improvements to the current generation STI were significant in terms of handling.  With over 300 hp the new STI didn't need more power -- it needed more refinement and finer tuning to maximize the capabilities of the car.  This generation does that.  Only now have the competition caught up.

Completely agree.  The chassis is finally up to the engine.  Hey, the previous STi was a blast to drive, no mistaking that, but the new one is light years ahead in terms of true ability.

Now if only they'd have stuck something that looked like this on the chassis...

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 12:27:16 pm »
I think the addition of a much better head unit for 2016 was a key improvement in my book.  I wonder if they'll be offering Eyesight safety tech with the WRX or STi.

1.  Apparently the new head unit is vastly better in terms of connectivity (and maybe nav?), but is it actually any better for sound quality? Everyone b!tches about Subaru's awful stock stereos, and rightfully so.  But the complaints should be clarified. 
First, the sound quality is not very good (especially on the stock Clarion HUs, better but not great on the Harmon Kardon units).  But the stock speakers also deserve some of the blame here.
Second, the connectivity / nav in Subarus has historically been pretty awful. 
The new Starlink-equipped head units should (hopefully) solve the second problem, but that doesn't necessarily mean the sound quality has also been improved.

2.  Can Eyesight be added to a M/T vehicle?  It's not on any of the Outback/Legacy/Forester trims equipped with a manual, but I don't know if there is some inherent incompatibility there or not.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 12:27:43 pm »
Other than FGC reliability (lumping them together), is there another car company that gets as big of a free pass for what it does wrong than Subaru? Humdrum looks, terrible infotainment/stereo, uncompetitive gas mileage, cheap interiors (some of that is more historical). It shows that sometimes you only have to be good at certain things

Reminds me of when I drove the Forrester XT, I had to keep telling myself to not judge that book by its cover and ended up really liking it.

The STI is the only model now that gets "uncompetitive gas mileage".  The WRX is actually surprisingly good.  And the infotainment system they're using now are as good as any at this budget level (pricey iDrive or Audi MMI units are notably better of course).   Legacy's interiors are on par with the rest of that category too. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 12:29:20 pm »

When we bought our first Subaru, I wondered "WTF is with this thing and why does anyone want one?"  Then I drove it, and thought "hey, there's something to this."  Then after a lot of kms of driving I was full on the kool-aid. 

Northernridge

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 12:33:51 pm »

The STI is the only model now that gets "uncompetitive gas mileage".  The WRX is actually surprisingly good.  And the infotainment system they're using now are as good as any at this budget level (pricey iDrive or Audi MMI units are notably better of course).   Legacy's interiors are on par with the rest of that category too.

Those are all recent fixes. Subaru's reputation was built with the above deficiencies in place. We'll disagree about the Legacy's interior.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 12:43:57 pm »
This fellow makes a good case why the WRX is more often than not a better choice over the STI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dg3BeWFyys

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 01:05:03 pm »

No mention of fuel economy for this test drive.  I get that no one buys an STi for fuel economy but I would have appreciated a real life number to compare to my numbers I'm getting with my R.

LOL.

Jacob was almost finished, then mentioned that he hadn't yet worked in fuel consumption and trunk space... He found an easy place to cover trunk space, but I told him no one would care about fuel consumption and not to bother... d'oh!

Thanks :popo: for proving me wrong, and thanks noto, for spotting that shot! 

to give context - Jacob generally drives pretty aggressively, in the city and in heavy Toronto traffic, conditions were mostly hot and sunny, so I'd say 10.6 is actually very good for a 300-hp AWD performance car in those conditions.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman