Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Subaru WRX STI  (Read 18055 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Subaru WRX STI
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 01:07:10 pm »

No mention of fuel economy for this test drive.  I get that no one buys an STi for fuel economy but I would have appreciated a real life number to compare to my numbers I'm getting with my R.

LOL.

Jacob was almost finished, then mentioned that he hadn't yet worked in fuel consumption and trunk space... He found an easy place to cover trunk space, but I told him no one would care about fuel consumption and not to bother... d'oh!

Thanks :popo: for proving me wrong, and thanks noto, for spotting that shot! 

to give context - Jacob generally drives pretty aggressively, in the city and in heavy Toronto traffic, conditions were mostly hot and sunny, so I'd say 10.6 is actually very good for a 300-hp AWD performance car in those conditions.

yeah, that's not a bad number.

for in-traffic driving, i think i would get between 12~13 on my m.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 01:07:56 pm »

No mention of fuel economy for this test drive.  I get that no one buys an STi for fuel economy but I would have appreciated a real life number to compare to my numbers I'm getting with my R.

LOL.

Jacob was almost finished, then mentioned that he hadn't yet worked in fuel consumption and trunk space... He found an easy place to cover trunk space, but I told him no one would care about fuel consumption and not to bother... d'oh!

to give context - Jacob generally drives pretty aggressively, in the city and in heavy Toronto traffic, conditions were mostly hot and sunny, so I'd say 10.6 is actually very good for a 300-hp AWD performance car in those conditions.

It is indeed.. and could be much worse.  My brother's '11 STI (with full exhaust, COBB A/P with custom tune and new fuel injectors) averages around 14 I believe.   :o
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 01:37:39 pm »
For 46K, I'd throw the GLA45 ($50K) into the ring as well.

Have fun finding one for less than $50K.  Closer to $60K.

Just order one. I've ordered every new car I've had. If I'm spending the money on a new car I'm going to take advantage of picking it exactly the way I want.

Absolutely.  I never understand the argument of:  "you'll never find a base Porsche" or "never find a manual <car X>".   Unless we're talking about an exceptionally limited run car, I'm always ordering a new car from the factory.   Waiting a few months when you're spending that much cash is certainly worth it for your exact spec.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 01:41:07 pm »
I think the addition of a much better head unit for 2016 was a key improvement in my book.  I wonder if they'll be offering Eyesight safety tech with the WRX or STi.

1.  Apparently the new head unit is vastly better in terms of connectivity (and maybe nav?), but is it actually any better for sound quality? Everyone b!tches about Subaru's awful stock stereos, and rightfully so.  But the complaints should be clarified. 
First, the sound quality is not very good (especially on the stock Clarion HUs, better but not great on the Harmon Kardon units).  But the stock speakers also deserve some of the blame here.
Second, the connectivity / nav in Subarus has historically been pretty awful. 
The new Starlink-equipped head units should (hopefully) solve the second problem, but that doesn't necessarily mean the sound quality has also been improved.

2.  Can Eyesight be added to a M/T vehicle?  It's not on any of the Outback/Legacy/Forester trims equipped with a manual, but I don't know if there is some inherent incompatibility there or not.
I believe they've had this technology in manual equipped vehicles in Europe for a few years now.  I believe the 2016 VW Golf R manual with tech package has the same features as the Eyesite technology in Subaru's.  I'll definitely enjoy hearing what these systems are like combined with a manual transmission.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 01:44:26 pm »

LOL.

Yeah at 10.6 I think that's excellent fuel economy, in those driving conditions.  I have heard though that the WRX's fuel economy has improved dramatically in this generation where as the STi has pretty much stayed the same (which is to say not good at all).

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 02:14:13 pm »

LOL.

It is indeed.. and could be much worse.  My brother's '11 STI (with full exhaust, COBB A/P with custom tune and new fuel injectors) averages around 14 I believe.   :o
Lady Noto gets 13.2L/100km consistently in pure Guelph city driving (that is to say, short drives only, not much in the way of hills, not much in the way of speed, and not much in the way of traffic).  Sure, it's a Forester, but it's the XT - similar EJ engine, though with 81 fewer ponies and 54 fewer torques.  ;)

I think the addition of a much better head unit for 2016 was a key improvement in my book.  I wonder if they'll be offering Eyesight safety tech with the WRX or STi.
Can Eyesight be added to a M/T vehicle?  It's not on any of the Outback/Legacy/Forester trims equipped with a manual, but I don't know if there is some inherent incompatibility there or not.
I believe they've had this technology in manual equipped vehicles in Europe for a few years now.  I believe the 2016 VW Golf R manual with tech package has the same features as the Eyesite technology in Subaru's.  I'll definitely enjoy hearing what these systems are like combined with a manual transmission.
Subaru does not offer eyesight in any MT-equipped vehicle.  While VW may be able to do so, Subaru has not yet adapted the tech.  Keep in mind, as well, that Subaru's approach to autonomous functions differs greatly from VWs.  Pros and cons.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 07:36:57 pm »

LOL.

Yeah at 10.6 I think that's excellent fuel economy, in those driving conditions.  I have heard though that the WRX's fuel economy has improved dramatically in this generation where as the STi has pretty much stayed the same (which is to say not good at all).
my coworker has the 2015 WRX (traded in his FR-S) and gets about 7-8 L/100kms in regular city driving, which is a huge improvement on the previous model he had before (which was often in the 11-12 range).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 09:52:16 pm »
If you are achieving 7-8l/100km there is no fun involved  :P

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 09:59:54 pm »

This.  There's no way a 305hp 2.5L turbo car is going to match a Corolla in city driving unless you're driving like a dead person.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2015, 10:46:37 pm »

This.  There's no way a 305hp 2.5L turbo car is going to match a Corolla in city driving unless you're driving like a dead person.

Not the STI... the reg WRX.  Mine sees about 50/50 city/hwy and rarely shifts below 4,000 rpms.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 11:22:12 pm »
But you're a pill that can only wave your arms - how do you even drive a car?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 01:42:41 am »
it is regular city driving, with no real effort to conserve fuel...you don't need to beat the snot out of it to get moving (as mentioned in that video linked upthread), and he's not a Fast & Furious driver (how'd that work out for Paul Walker again?)...my point is, the new WRX gets significantly better fuel economy than the previous version.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 09:01:19 am »
it is regular city driving, with no real effort to conserve fuel...you don't need to beat the snot out of it to get moving (as mentioned in that video linked upthread), and he's not a Fast & Furious driver (how'd that work out for Paul Walker again?)...my point is, the new WRX gets significantly better fuel economy than the previous version.

I never pass on an opportunity to have fun so I will never see below 14. Im always one or two gears below what the ECU tells me to be in. Ask anybody who has driven with me  :)

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 02:11:52 pm »
For 46K, I'd throw the GLA45 ($50K) into the ring as well.

Have fun finding one for less than $50K.  Closer to $60K.

Just order one. I've ordered every new car I've had. If I'm spending the money on a new car I'm going to take advantage of picking it exactly the way I want.

Absolutely.  I never understand the argument of:  "you'll never find a base Porsche" or "never find a manual <car X>".   Unless we're talking about an exceptionally limited run car, I'm always ordering a new car from the factory.   Waiting a few months when you're spending that much cash is certainly worth it for your exact spec.

This is true.  But, we are not comparing the same thing.  $46k as listed in this article included accessories, freight/pdi.  Even if you order a very base GLA45AMG you're going to be around $53,000 before any taxes as MB adds on around $3,000 in fees. 

The reason why there is no hatchback (as per Subaru) is that they didn't want to compromise on handling.  They went all in with on body style.  To develop two apparently meant sharing components and compromising handling.  Subaru desperately needs to update the 2.5L.  I think at this point the Golf R engine will turn out to be way more reliable as STI still suffers from a high number of early engine failures. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:14:23 pm by greengs »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 02:20:57 pm »
If I were spending $40K on a car today, a base STi would be it.  I like the wing-less look and then I'd have some dough for mods - the old 2.5L has so much power hiding in there that can be found for surprisingly little money.  After driving it, I know it's possible to add 100-150hp without needing to touch the chassis.

Of course, if Ford brings the Focus RS here for $40K, well, then that might throw a wrinkle in...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 08:08:11 pm »

I talked to a local dealer the other day who is probably full of it but he mentioned $49 for the Focus RS and up to $53 loaded.  This is without PDI and freight and any mark up.

Wow...a $10K premium over the STI??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 10:34:00 am »
USA pricing has already been leaked.  $35000 USD for a base model RS.  I can't see the Canadian pricing being $49000 unless they only sell it as a loaded version or Canadian $ keeps tanking compared to USD from now until release.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 02:29:59 pm »
USA pricing has already been leaked.  $35000 USD for a base model RS.  I can't see the Canadian pricing being $49000 unless they only sell it as a loaded version or Canadian $ keeps tanking compared to USD from now until release.

Foolish to sell only a loaded version of the RS IMO. It should be a car that attracts younger guys with the whole boy-racer thing. I would offer a base model to keep the price down.

They didn't do that with the ST though.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 02:39:20 pm »

Foolish to sell only a loaded version of the RS IMO. It should be a car that attracts younger guys with the whole boy-racer thing. I would offer a base model to keep the price down.
Typically we Canadians get the loaded version of these vehicles.  I'm not saying it'll be $49,000, or even $40,000, just saying expect the version we get here in Canada to be of the fully loaded variety.

If they are building this to compete with the Audi RS3 I sure hope they add some luxury in that focus body.  I've also heard that the Focus RS will be a limited production run so I won't be surprised if these will be going for over MSRP. 

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 09:27:16 am »

Do you have the link?  All I have seen is an 'estimate of starting at $35K" which generally means no one knows.