Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Ford Taurus, 2010-2016  (Read 10594 times)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Ford Taurus, 2010-2016
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 09:04:08 am »
Stupid direct injection.........that sucks because the SHO, I think, is one of the coolest full size cars out there.

Love that car. The SHO styling just jumps out when you see one on the road. Tauri13 appears to have bought the right model year as well.

DI is a big problem. My wife's Accent kept breaking down until carbon buildup was assessed on her car at 55k. After much fighting, Hyundai agreed to do a "goodwill warranty" which I found disturbing given that it's an ongoing problem in many DI cars. It made it sound like we were at fault and they were doing us a favour. Both of our DI Hyundais drink a very regular brew of fuel injection cleaner now...

Yes Direct Injection is supposed to be an advancement in engine technology. But it ends up you have to spend money on additives so that your car continues to run properly. It's strange because DI is supposed to give more power ,better fuel mileage ,lower emissions to a comparable engine without DI. It's kind of working against it self.

DI seemed like one of those no brainers that had people thinking "Why didn't they do this sooner?"
Now we know why....

I wonder if that  Shell V Power  gas would keep the decarbonization visits to a minumum. It's supposed to clean your engine,don't know if you can believe it or not. Then again it's costing you money to put premium gas in a car which is advertised to run on regular.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 11:08:58 am »
Stupid direct injection.........that sucks because the SHO, I think, is one of the coolest full size cars out there.

Love that car. The SHO styling just jumps out when you see one on the road. Tauri13 appears to have bought the right model year as well.

DI is a big problem. My wife's Accent kept breaking down until carbon buildup was assessed on her car at 55k. After much fighting, Hyundai agreed to do a "goodwill warranty" which I found disturbing given that it's an ongoing problem in many DI cars. It made it sound like we were at fault and they were doing us a favour. Both of our DI Hyundais drink a very regular brew of fuel injection cleaner now...

Yes Direct Injection is supposed to be an advancement in engine technology. But it ends up you have to spend money on additives so that your car continues to run properly. It's strange because DI is supposed to give more power ,better fuel mileage ,lower emissions to a comparable engine without DI. It's kind of working against it self.

DI seemed like one of those no brainers that had people thinking "Why didn't they do this sooner?"
Now we know why....

I wonder if that  Shell V Power  gas would keep the decarbonization visits to a minumum. It's supposed to clean your engine,don't know if you can believe it or not. Then again it's costing you money to put premium gas in a car which is advertised to run on regular.
I think running premium Vpower in a DI is a no brainer. Anything that can keep you out of the dealer, why not

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 04:27:32 pm »
While researching GMC Acadia's I came across this aftermarket solution to help with carbon problems on the DI engine.
http://marylandspeed.com/elite-engineering-pcv-oil-catch-can-2010-chevy-camaro-v6-36l-elite-v6-p-3562.html

I would imagine this type of thing will work on other DI units?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 08:38:06 pm »

And that fuel injector cleaner will do nothing to clean the intake valves where most of the carbon build up typically occurs because there is not fuel sprayed onto the valves.  It's all "directly" injected into the engine.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 11:36:05 am »
There is no reason to buy a Taurus beand new. But as used cars they are excellent values for anyone looking for a full-size car. Less than $25K for a year old SEL AWD under 15K km with Nav, Moonroof, and Leather is a good buy.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 12:24:27 am »
i would like to have a sho but with the interior of the pre-facelift models, exterior, brakes, quicker steering, paddle shifters and trans and diff cooler from the facelift. the interior of the facelift model with mft. I want normal gauges and I don't want my ford touch. The rpm gauge on the facelift model is so ugly and looks like a total afterthought.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 02:02:58 am »
You can run 10,000 Octane Shell V-V-V Power with extra Super V and pour cleaners by the case into the fuel, and it won't do a bit of good to prevent carbon build up in a DI engine.  The issue is that the fuel doesn't "spray" the problem area.

I don't know how design changes carbon build up, but some DI engines are less prone to it than others - but it seems that eventually they all must be cleaned.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 07:23:31 am »
Did Ford ever get around to stuffing that killer SHO motor into something that wasn't the size of a school bus?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 10:08:28 am »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 11:31:34 am »

Watch, this won't count, because domestic....