Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Mini John Cooper Works 3-Door  (Read 11718 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: First Drive: 2016 Mini John Cooper Works 3-Door
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 11:50:31 am »
*poke head out*
I would buy the JCW over the STI (because steering feel and handling), and the Golf F (because personality and styling and also steering feel)

*runs and hides*
*doesn't run fast enough*
*is murdered by the forum*
*is dead now*

I'd probably choose the Mini over the others for a non-primary car.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 11:56:21 am »
*runs and hides*
*is dead now*
NOOO, JACOB, CHOOSE LIFE!!  I still need to have some pints with you!!!

Perhaps I need to drive the new Mini, but I wouldn't take it over a Golf R or a WRX (since STi is 6MT only ;)).  Glowing reviews from automotive journalists must be taken with a grain of salt - you guys value things differently than most of the buying public.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 11:59:05 am »
At the shallow end, I'd have the Fiesta ST. At the deep end, the Golf R, STI or Focus RS. The Mini wouldn't be on the radar, especially considering its dismal reliability record.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 12:24:41 pm »
At the shallow end, I'd have the Fiesta ST. At the deep end, the Golf R, STI or Focus RS. The Mini wouldn't be on the radar, especially considering its dismal reliability record.

i don't have any axe to grind against Mini.

briefly i actually considered buying the new 3 cylinder...

but that dismal reliability record cannot be stressed enough.   go on any mini forum, and new ones, old ones, doesn't matter which, there's all kinds of thread going about this or that going wrong with it.

the sheer amount of problems people have is mind-blowing.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 12:28:18 pm »

i don't have any axe to grind against Mini.

briefly i actually considered buying the new 3 cylinder...

but that dismal reliability record cannot be stressed enough.   go on any mini forum, and new ones, old ones, doesn't matter which, there's all kinds of thread going about this or that going wrong with it.

the sheer amount of problems people have is mind-blowing.

Thats what they should put at the front of any mini related article, "Even though the following article is positive and the vehicle is fun to own, this vehicle has the reliability record of Lindsay Lohan with a garbage bag of cocaine"......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 01:06:24 pm »
*poke head out*
I would buy the JCW over the STI (because steering feel and handling), and the Golf F (because personality and styling and also steering feel)

*runs and hides*
*is dead now*

If you are still alive and reading this: The Mini has better steering feel than the STI? That's surprising to read. Is it because of the AWD?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 01:13:05 pm »
*poke head out*

*runs and hides*
*is dead now*

If you are still alive and reading this: The Mini has better steering feel than the STI? That's surprising to read. Is it because of the AWD?

i don't understand the hoopla about Mini steering feel.

i've tried their last greatest Mini (JCW with Hydraulic steering) and it feels like a FWD bimmer.

the new one is electric.  if anything, it will be more muted than that...

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 01:35:07 pm »

Nah it's more than that. I just got out of the STI and it had this horrible fake feeling that made it suddenly turn into spaghetti mid-way through any long corner. It made me sad.

RE: Aquadorhj, I don't know what you mean, the Mini feels direct as hell to me. It's beautiful. And the chassis reaction is instantaneous.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 01:51:03 pm »
Would the steering feel be better than the Fiesta ST Jacob?  I've heard the steering feel in that car is very good.

Speaking of steering feel, what current vehicle is tops in your book Jacob?

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 01:52:31 pm »
Would the steering feel be better than the Fiesta ST Jacob?  I've heard the steering feel in that car is very good.

I think the Fiesta ST is not quite on par, but its so close I know some people disagree with me.
The best thing I remember driving in terms of steering feel is perhaps the new MX-5. Maybe the FR-S/BRZ.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 02:01:49 pm »
Nah it's more than that. I just got out of the STI and it had this horrible fake feeling that made it suddenly turn into spaghetti mid-way through any long corner. It made me sad.

RE: Aquadorhj, I don't know what you mean, the Mini feels direct as hell to me. It's beautiful. And the chassis reaction is instantaneous.

Ahh, gotcha. Very interesting. Didn't realize the the steering on the STI was a weak spot, expecially given how much of a driver's car it's purported to be.

Maybe it's as simple as a FWD car can still have good steering, as long as it's under a certain weight? Like an Integra Type-R versus, say, a TL V6.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:03:21 pm by lebowski »

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 02:58:20 pm »

I think the Fiesta ST is not quite on par, but its so close I know some people disagree with me.
The best thing I remember driving in terms of steering feel is perhaps the new MX-5. Maybe the FR-S/BRZ.
Wish I was at a point in my life I could justify a MX-5.  Maybe in 5 years when we replace both the Golf R and the Santa Fe.  Although I know I'll have a fight on my hands from my wife, maybe a new SUV for her will mask her distaste for the Miata.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 01:16:24 am »
if the car is already unreliable, and you want the handling of the Mini, then just buy one that is a couple of years old and tune the crap out of it - a lot cheaper and at least you know the parts you put in will last for a bit...

but as it is at $55k, yeah really hard sell...when you can get a mint used one at $20k and spend $5k to bring it up to the level of a JCW

the aftermarket is a wonderful thing

If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 01:33:07 am »

Those words are music to my ears (eyes)!     :thumbup:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 08:29:51 am »
if the car is already unreliable, and you want the handling of the Mini, then just buy one that is a couple of years old and tune the crap out of it - a lot cheaper and at least you know the parts you put in will last for a bit...

but as it is at $55k, yeah really hard sell...when you can get a mint used one at $20k and spend $5k to bring it up to the level of a JCW

It isn't $55k though, that was a typo.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 10:22:49 am »

Hey! You're back! How're things in Alfa land?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 10:30:59 am »
I just got out of the STI
>:( AND YOU DIDN'T CALL ME UP FOR A RUN?!

I LEARNED HOW TO DRIVE :drive: FOR THIS VERY REASON!!!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 07:05:48 pm »

Hey! You're back! How're things in Alfa land?

ok didnt realize it was a typo, but my argument still stands :)

thanks for the "welcome back" Sir, not really back as I am still in Oz researching for the PhD for most of the year. Sad that I only get to drive the Alfa for about a week when I go back home. In the meantime I am driving a late 90s Mirage...not the same :( I REALLY miss Francesca and her beautiful voice...especially since I have a bunch of performance parts [cams and pistons etc.] and a dyno tune waiting for her...