Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2016 Scion FR-S; Day 1  (Read 19675 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2016 Scion FR-S; Day 1
« on: August 12, 2015, 06:01:04 am »
  Does the 2016 FR-S still possess what it takes to compete in a tough market?
Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2016 Scion FR-S; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 09:24:05 am »
Two points :

1) Turbo option ?

2) Convertible option ?

It's time for ver. 2.0. STI or FT-86 G Sports.

Three years (2012) without a major chagne now makes this car seem long in the tooth in this market.   
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:10:11 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:34:55 am »
I do see quite few used ones for sale in local ads.  BRZ as well.  I think the problem is, to really have fun with this car you have to drive it a little more aggressively.  Much as been made about how easily it slides around.  Can't typically do that on public roads though.  For me this would be a fun weekend car or something to take to the track, not necessarily a daily driver.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:53 am »
The problem is, how much fun can one really have on our traffic-filled streets?  How about the rutted, pot-holed streets?

These twins don't quite live up to any one great purpose in Canada (at least) - not powerful enough to be a track star, and not feature-rich enough to be a sporty daily driver.  The firm ride would also be a deterrent.

The only folks I see driving the twins around are young'ns with odd-mods, like these ones:

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:36:19 am »
  While it's true that a turbo would be no brainer, I'm thinking if they just upped the displacement to 2.2 or 2.3. A little more torque and power would keep it interesting without affecting any of the brilliant handling.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 10:53:30 am »
I remember being in the Subaru dealer when the twins came out a couple of years ago.  The guy I bought the Forester from said there was a waiting list for the BRZ.  Every unit they were getting for the next 8-10 months was already sold.  Didn't even have one to put in the showroom.

When I was there in July, there was 2 of them in the showroom, and they were on sale...
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 10:56:34 am »
Everyone knows the FRS should be supercharged (that's TRD's thing) and the BRZ should be turbocharged (that's STi's thing). 

I just couldn't get over the horrid interior and the ultra harsh ride in these things.  Mind you it's amazing on a back road.  Such a confusing car.  Personally if I wanted a Japanese light RWD sports car the only option is MX-5.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 11:11:46 am »
  While it's true that a turbo would be no brainer, I'm thinking if they just upped the displacement to 2.2 or 2.3. A little more torque and power would keep it interesting without affecting any of the brilliant handling.
...or a 2.5L?  Say, the FB25?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Day-by-Day Review: 2016 Scion FR-S; Day 1
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 11:38:16 am »
I live beside the highway where I haven't seen a cop in three years and there is zero traffic.   Just saying....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 11:45:53 am »
Sports coupes are a tough sell these days. Small ones even more so.

I don't think it has as much to do with the deficiencies of the car as much as it being a form factor that just isn't en vogue at the moment.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 11:48:50 am »
I remember being in the Subaru dealer when the twins came out a couple of years ago.  The guy I bought the Forester from said there was a waiting list for the BRZ.  Every unit they were getting for the next 8-10 months was already sold.  Didn't even have one to put in the showroom.

When I was there in July, there was 2 of them in the showroom, and they were on sale...

Asked the Subaru sales manager about that a month ago.  They had 3 BRZs on the lot, two of which were featured fairly prominently. He said they couldn't move them easily, and didn't want to bring any in.  Gave the classic reasoning (and probably truthful):

1. Lots of young guys (kids) come in to look at them, but don't have any cash (or decent credit) to buy one. 

2. Somewhat older guys with cash (i.e. my mid-30s demographic) might have the cash, and would sill like to drive a sporty car, but don't have enough disposable cash to justify a strictly "toy" car, and aren't willing to make the comprises required to use a BRZ as a daily driver.  Either based on their life situation (kids), or because of the firm ride/lack of features makes the car less desirable as a DD.  But he'd happily show those customers a WRX... (BTW, he also agreed that not having a WRX hatch was dumb, but knew nothing about one on the horizon).

3.  The retired/ing boomers have enough disposable cash for a strictly "toy" car, but "they can't bend down low enough to get into the damn thing! (his words, not mine)  IMO, I don't know how many in that demographic would really be interested in a spartan Japanese small coupe anyway though...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 11:53:43 am »
I'm getting sick and tired on this " you can't use more than 250 horsepower on the street" nonsense.
I didn't say that.

The problem is, how much fun can one really have on our traffic-filled streets?  How about the rutted, pot-holed streets?

These twins don't quite live up to any one great purpose in Canada (at least) - not powerful enough to be a track star, and not feature-rich enough to be a sporty daily driver.  The firm ride would also be a deterrent.
I wasn't talking about power, but the ability to go sideways, to take on-ramps quickly, etc.

Mon/Wed I get on the 407, then 400.  I can't even exploit all of the Corolla's power because there's so much traffic that I never have the ramp to myself.  Tues/Thurs/Fri I get on the 401.  It's worse.  Usually, I'm doing stop n' go on the on-ramp.  No better on the way home.  While the FRS/BRZ would be more fun, in theory, I'd rather drive a Corolla daily. 

On weekends, I get a good on-ramp.  It wouldn't be enough to sway me to buy a more 'fun' car though.  For my purposes, I need a car that strikes a good balance between fun to drive and comfortable for the daily grind.  This is why something like the Golf TSI is more appealing to me than something like the FR-S (not saying direct competitors, but most cars strike a more comfortable balance for those in the cities or suburbs).  Once you move out to the smaller towns, yeah, a more fun car becomes palatable - but the FRS/BRZ are, for most people (who do fear the winter), seasonal cars.  At that price, the Miata is better (as pointed out), the Mustang is more 'luxurious' and feature-rich, etc.  I just don't see many instances where the FRS/BRZ, with the singular purpose of sporting pretensions, is the smart buy.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 11:57:37 am »
Lots of options to make these go faster

Or even with the stock engine

Blower

Turbo
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 12:02:42 pm »
I wasn't directly responding to your statement as there have been multiple comments in the vein of what I was talking about over the past couple of weeks. I just used it as a springboard to vent. That's why I didn't quote your original post.
Ah, my misunderstanding!  :cheers:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 12:16:41 pm »
(...) I need a car (...)

This ^^  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 12:31:21 pm »

Asked the Subaru sales manager about that a month ago.  They had 3 BRZs on the lot, two of which were featured fairly prominently. He said they couldn't move them easily, and didn't want to bring any in.  Gave the classic reasoning (and probably truthful):

1. Lots of young guys (kids) come in to look at them, but don't have any cash (or decent credit) to buy one. 

2. Somewhat older guys with cash (i.e. my mid-30s demographic) might have the cash, and would sill like to drive a sporty car, but don't have enough disposable cash to justify a strictly "toy" car, and aren't willing to make the comprises required to use a BRZ as a daily driver.  Either based on their life situation (kids), or because of the firm ride/lack of features makes the car less desirable as a DD.  But he'd happily show those customers a WRX... (BTW, he also agreed that not having a WRX hatch was dumb, but knew nothing about one on the horizon).

3.  The retired/ing boomers have enough disposable cash for a strictly "toy" car, but "they can't bend down low enough to get into the damn thing! (his words, not mine)  IMO, I don't know how many in that demographic would really be interested in a spartan Japanese small coupe anyway though...

As one of those Boomers... Why would I buy one of these when I could buy a Miata or give the budget a kick and buy a CPO Cayman.    Or be sensible and get a Golf R  in the middle...or make Snowman an offer on his TT.       I don't care about the FWD/RWD argument.

For sure I have not seen may around here
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Northernridge

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 12:35:50 pm »
Part of the problem is that Toyota/Subaru underestimated the number of 'enthusiasts' willing to actually buy the affordable, RWD, manual sportscar they claimed they would if one ever became available. Not anybody on this forum of course.  :)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 12:44:11 pm »
As a 20-something, I had a Celica. It was about as low as the twins are, but fwd got it through winters, it did not require premium and the room under the hatch was amazing. Rear seat was 2+2 tight, but actually useable, unlike the twins. My car had a fairly relaxed ride in town, yet handled rural road sweepers with grace and pace. It was no track toy, but you could live with it on a daily basis.

We can complain all we want about bland "committee" cars, but the sciobarus are the extreme opposite - too focused on driving fun at the expense of daily use. As such, they join jetskis, RVs and motorcycles as toys with short ownership and high classifieds presence.

Current trends don't help, of course. Where are the Preludes, Sciroccos and 240SXs of our youths? Sleek, affordable coupes have almost vanished, replaced by hotted-up versions of regular compacts. Not that these are bad, au contraire, but where's the style? For all the wrongs they have, the twins look fantastic and beyond their price in person. I'm hoping for a more polished gen2, hopefully at similar prices.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 01:05:43 pm »
(...) I need a car (...)
This ^^  ;D
>:( >:( >:(

I'm just a crabby old man, really.
Nah, you're aiight!  (that's young kid-speak for all-right, old timer!)  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 01:13:02 pm »
(...) I need a car (...)
This ^^  ;D
>:( >:( >:(

I'm just a crabby old man, really.
Nah, you're aiight!  (that's young kid-speak for all-right, old timer!)  ;D

At your service  ;D  :stick:

Hey, my first car was a Corolla too, but rwd with a stick:

...but I was 18 at the time  ;)