Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs 2015 Porsche Boxster GTS  (Read 16654 times)

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.

As far as drag races go I got smoked by a 2015 mustang gt a few weeks ago when we both took off at the lights not far from my house.  I just laughed!  Not the s2k's forte for sure and I couldn't care less. Been there and done that and a lightweight balanced chassis with a perfectlly matched drivetrain is much more entertaining. :)

^ Right on, man. 8)

Offline alljay

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Infiniti Q50; RIP 2007 Mazdaspeed6
I love the Porsche, but for my money, give me the C7 with Z51-- thanks much.  I didnt read the review, but in my experience, the Porsche will feel a fair bit more confidence inspiring driven 10/10 than the Vette, though the capabilities in the C7 are all-around higher.

I wonder how many of us 'arm chair racers' could even get 10/10ths out of either car?

I wonder how many of us could actually get 10/10 from the cars we drive daily.

That said, I still love the idea of one day owning a high performance vehicle (although I'm in the "non-track" version camp).

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
I know I post a version of this in every thread about the boxster/cayman, so apologies for the repetition, but for me the ultimate “driver’s” or “10/10th’s” porsche experience would be a stripper boxster/cayman paired with as much track instruction as I could afford.

Well, that, or a 'bagged cayenne hybrid with a sick bodykit  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
I wonder if how different (if any) the convertible Vette would have been in this comparo?  Afterall..the Boxster is a roadster.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
My 10/10 isn't, perhaps the car's 10/10. but I'll bet you could get much closer in the Porsche without needing new shorts.

on this topic, if anyone is lapping at TMP in the next little while, look for the greasy lockup skid-marks in the in-field, leading into the grass. Locked up all fours in the Viper at 120 km/h and put it into the cabbage. Car and driver unscathed. YOu should have seen the smoke. That's what happens when you go 11/10. Lol. Those skids will be there a while I"m sure.

Is that the ones on the track or the ones in your shorts?  ;)

Offline Shookie

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Porsche Boxster GTS, Mazda 3, BMW 328i
A big hi from down under!

Unfortunately we don't get Corvettes here, so I'm not providing a truly impartial view, but, after being fortunate to pick up this toy and live with it for the last few months I have the following positives:
1. The Boxster GTS is bulletproof, it is built like an absolute tank
2. first service is @ 15,000 kilometers (hopefully re-enforces the former point)
3. Press a button and the car sounds like a screaming jaguar (the cat, not the car)
4. Depress that same button and it is one of the most compliant sports car I have driven - a perfect daily driver
5. Boot space is great considering its purpose (2 decent storage spaces)
6. Economical - I get about 8 liters/100 kms on average, about 10 when I fang it..
7. 1/2 the price of a jaguar to insure (the car, not the cat)
8. Very small external dimensions and the only semi exotic sports car that fits in my city car park..

Yes it's not cheap, but all in all, it' is simply a brilliantly well engineered, flexible and livable 'day to day' 2 seater sports car a city slicker like me could ask for....and boy can it handle corners....

Hope that gives people a slightly different perspective on things....:-)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
  ^^^^
Great picture btw. Thanks for the input. Curious what's the price in AU currency. I spent 5 months in Australia Dec 91-92 and was floored by how much more you guys pay for vehicles. We thought we were getting the short end of the stick compared to prices in the U.S. then I did the math.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline bone

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford F-150. Mustang
The Z-51 Corvette has to be the best sports car value, period. Having said that, I would prefer the Boxter GTS, even at a $20 000 premium, simply because it does everything so well in an understated manner.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary

Understated? ???

Choosing between the Corvette and the Boxster is like choosing between a sledge hammer and a claw hammer. Kind of depends on the application.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
I'd take neither.

You'd take the bus.  ::)

The Vette is a beast.  MAJOR props to GM for this effort.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I'd take neither.

You'd take the bus.  ::)

The Vette is a beast.  MAJOR props to GM for this effort.

Absolutely, to be able to best a lot of very expensive and exclusive metal at a very affordable price, hats off to GM.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
I love that the Corvette really looks the part too.  Especially finished in bright colours, I find they always catch my eye.  GM really nailed it with the Stingray.

But lordy, what I wouldn't do to have a new Boxster too. 

Can't lose with either one.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
  • Drive it like your renting it!!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Kia Sorento SX - '11 Kia Sportage SX

Understated? ???

Choosing between the Corvette and the Boxster is like choosing between a sledge hammer and a claw hammer. Kind of depends on the application.

But ya gotta pick one and tell me its the sledge hammer?!?

Hopefully in the distant future I can make one happen, the Vette that is.
Cheers

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Saw what I'm certain was my first C7 Z-06 today and OMG - it's HAWT!!!  Eye-searing yellow with black accents, wowowowowow

Offline Shookie

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  ^^^^
Great picture btw. Thanks for the input. Curious what's the price in AU currency. I spent 5 months in Australia Dec 91-92 and was floored by how much more you guys pay for vehicles. We thought we were getting the short end of the stick compared to prices in the U.S. then I did the math.

Hi again - all up $160k ....its a fair whack, but let's put it in context - the base 911 here starts off @ $230k, the 911 GTS is closer to $300K!

Offline Shookie

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
One more pic of 'our precious'......;-)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:00:25 pm by Shookie »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Looks great Shookie, welcome to the madness  :)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Looks great Shookie, welcome to the madness  :)

+1. Car is a beauty!!   :thumbup: :thumbup: :drool:

Always good to hear from someone who actually walks the walk!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:25:29 pm by KDS2K »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile

I think it's more understated than the Vette but yes I get a chuckle out of the posters that come out of the woodwork to proclaim the Cayman a "petit fillet" or "understated art form," etc. Just jerk me off with a paper bag over your head.

I feel the same way...when you're waxing poetic about the Vette.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
I've seen a few C7 Vettes on the streets now and damn, I gotta say that they look pretty facking nice!  I heard one take off at WOT when I was down in Maine.......... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Having said that, and given the choice between the two, I'd take the Boxster GTS all day long every time!  Absolutely love the looks of them, has way more than enough power to make me have a sh!t eating grin, and it's just a roadster that I've admired for a few years now.  A perfect balance for my preferences. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing