Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray vs 2015 Porsche Boxster GTS  (Read 16650 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
Better to compare Z06 vs Boxster to get to a comparable price point.

If you're looking for volunteers on the test crew, I am in.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
The $20k you save on buying the Vette can always be put towards a great bike that would eat up the twistys and be more fun than either of these two cars.... perhaps something like Jacob just recently wrote about??? 

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20150807/2015-bmw-s1000rr-test-ride/#M5C8F3Yx5XWhbECd.97
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
I'd take neither.

^^ FTW.

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-2014-jaguar-f-type-convertible-vs-2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-convertible/?all=1

The Porsche has turned into the sleeper here, and to that effect, I give full credit to the Corvette for being the icon.  With that being said, just because it has moar powah and is cheaper does not make me want the Corvette.  I hated the seating position in it, the long-nose, and the hokey pokey required to get into it.

That Jag though :drool:

If you're looking for volunteers on the test crew, I am in.
I'll also join, just cuz ya'll asked so nicely.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Price as tested on the Jag - $114,000

Quite the jump for the $67K Vette I'd build.
Don't care.  If I'm spending $70k on a car, I might as well go whole-hog and spend $115k.  Once you're at those #s, what's the fricken difference?

(I'm being facetious)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Now in my mid-30s I tend not to dream about those big dollar cars as much anymore. I'd rather dream about something that closer in reach or actually possible. If we're talking about free money yes give me the Jag or a 911 GTS.....but that's not how it works.
I agree with you.  That's why I really, really liked the base model BMW Z4 sDrive 28i I had as a rental in Febraury in Palm Springs.

I'm just floored that the Jag is the same size as the 'vette.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
"What the GTS has that the Corvette doesn’t, however, are selectable damper modes. They’re standard on the GTS and while you can get adaptive Magnetic Ride Control on your ‘Vette, you have to first select the $67,245 Z51 package, then add the dampers for another $1,885."

A relatively low increase that still leaves one with more money out the door vs the Boxster. Prior to this iteration of the Vette I would have gone Boxster without a thought but changes including the upated interior have changed that. I maybe biased after seeing many classic Vette's this past weekend at Legendary MC. The Vette equals comparable handling with MRC and more power for less, easy answer for me.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:53:26 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
$20K.....sorry, there is no justification for the price difference here at all. I would take the C7 with the Z51 suspension pack....or for the same price as the Boxster, get the Z06 and really humiliate it. $100K for a Boxster, pfffffttt, they must be off their feckin rockers.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Remember people. End of hte day these are both awesome cars. I'd be happy with either

Exactly!  If price was no issue I would probably go for the Boxster, but not sure if it's worth the $20k premium.   :-\

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
Remember people. End of hte day these are both awesome cars. I'd be happy with either

Agreed.

I could envision (in some slight stretch of reality) actually buying a Corvette.   But if I were a very high net worth individual?  Sure I could see spending the extra dough for the GTS b/c I like the styling and am a fan of Porsche.

There's no loser here but if I'm shopping best value it's no question the Corvette.  (It might be better outright)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Agreed.

I could envision (in some slight stretch of reality) actually buying a Corvette.   But if I were a very high net worth individual?  Sure I could see spending the extra dough for the GTS b/c I like the styling and am a fan of Porsche.

There's no loser here but if I'm shopping best value it's no question the Corvette.  (It might be better outright)
What's resale like on these?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Agreed. But I would just go with a Cayman S if I wanted a Porsche and a Base C7 is just fine as well. I still don't understand why people buy all these track ready packaged cars when you will never get to use the capabilities unless you actually take it to the track. I have more fun driving our 247 hp S2000 than my awesome 360 hp TT-RS. I have zero interest in traffic light drag races.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I still don't understand why people buy all these track ready packaged cars when you will never get to use the capabilities unless you actually take it to the track.
Well, I agree in theory, but when spending $100,000 on a track-ready car, wouldn't it be nice if you could enjoy driving it on the streets, too?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
I still don't understand why people buy all these track ready packaged cars when you will never get to use the capabilities unless you actually take it to the track.
Well, I agree in theory, but when spending $100,000 on a track-ready car, wouldn't it be nice if you could enjoy driving it on the streets, too?

Its almost impossible to have both.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
The more track ready a car, the less fun it is to drive on the street.  You get punishing suspensions, tires that wear out like crazy, brakes that usually need some heat to really work, and so on.  You also usually get something so low you can't get in and out of a lot of places.

The base C7 Vette with Z51 looks like the best combination of street/track around, and the best value by far.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350

Agreed. But I would just go with a Cayman S if I wanted a Porsche and a Base C7 is just fine as well. I still don't understand why people buy all these track ready packaged cars when you will never get to use the capabilities unless you actually take it to the track. I have more fun driving our 247 hp S2000 than my awesome 360 hp TT-RS. I have zero interest in traffic light drag races.

Absolutely!  I just came back from a 4-day romp through the Anapolis Valley NS on roads that seemed like they were custom built for driving enjoyment and virtually no traffic.  I think anything above 300 hp would be a waste of hp in that setting especially in a bloated overweight chassis. Track running may be a different story, but I may never find that out around here and really don't care.  We had a blast!

Funnily enough I passed and elderly couple driving a beautiful red droptop C7 a few times while there; twice on the backroads when they were doing 10km/h below the reasonable 80km/h limit and once on the highway on the way home - they had the top up of course.  I believe it may have been the Z51 as it had the transparent hood, but i'm not up on the current option packages.  Anyways it just seemed like about 300hp wasted IMO. 

As far as drag races go I got smoked by a 2015 mustang gt a few weeks ago when we both took off at the lights not far from my house.  I just laughed!  Not the s2k's forte for sure and I couldn't care less. Been there and done that and a lightweight balanced chassis with a perfectlly matched drivetrain is much more entertaining. :)

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
I love the Porsche, but for my money, give me the C7 with Z51-- thanks much.  I didnt read the review, but in my experience, the Porsche will feel a fair bit more confidence inspiring driven 10/10 than the Vette, though the capabilities in the C7 are all-around higher.

You aren't touching it for the price. I've even seen one or two used with 15k on the odo for 60 grand on Autotrader.ca. They'll come down nicely in another year or two. Top candidate to replace my Viper if I ever do.

J

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
I love the Porsche, but for my money, give me the C7 with Z51-- thanks much.  I didnt read the review, but in my experience, the Porsche will feel a fair bit more confidence inspiring driven 10/10 than the Vette, though the capabilities in the C7 are all-around higher.

I wonder how many of us 'arm chair racers' could even get 10/10ths out of either car?

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Pritch and Wing could.
I could pretend I could!  :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
My 10/10 isn't, perhaps the car's 10/10. but I'll bet you could get much closer in the Porsche without needing new shorts.

on this topic, if anyone is lapping at TMP in the next little while, look for the greasy lockup skid-marks in the in-field, leading into the grass. Locked up all fours in the Viper at 120 km/h and put it into the cabbage. Car and driver unscathed. YOu should have seen the smoke. That's what happens when you go 11/10. Lol. Those skids will be there a while I"m sure.