Author Topic: Tesla Losing $4k on Every Car Sold  (Read 9362 times)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-519
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla Losing $4k on Every Car Sold
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 09:19:21 pm »
This is a sly article that manipulates data for the short-term over the long-term gain.

Exactly.

This is how I feel:
 http://gas2.org/2015/08/11/reuters-tesla-article-fails-badly-unless-intent-is-to-mislead/

The article is a blatant attempt to mislead.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 09:27:07 pm »
This is a sly article that manipulates data for the short-term over the long-term gain.

Exactly.

This is how I feel:
 http://gas2.org/2015/08/11/reuters-tesla-article-fails-badly-unless-intent-is-to-mislead/

The article is a blatant attempt to mislead.

Yea..and article by "EV Obsession" I'm sure has no bias at all, eh?   :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 10:04:57 pm »
Tesla survived the 2008 crisis, the time when they had to buy parts at near "retail" prices due to limited production numbers. No reason for concern now IMO. The moment first Panasonic cells are made in the US there will be no stopping them. Their cars will compete head to head with luxury analogs from they coal age, and will win ppl's cash more often than FGC makers can imagine  :D
(what bias?)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 10:32:16 pm »
Tesla survived the 2008 crisis, the time when they had to buy parts at near "retail" prices due to limited production numbers. No reason for concern now IMO. The moment first Panasonic cells are made in the US there will be no stopping them. Their cars will compete head to head with luxury analogs from they coal age, and will win ppl's cash more often than FGC makers can imagine  :D
(what bias?)

I read an article where it says they won't turn a profit until 2020.  And it was Musk saying that himself.

That has to be a bit of a reason for concern IMO.

Plus they are offering more stock to try and raise $500 million   http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-500-million-stock-offering-2015-8
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:34:29 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 09:35:36 am »
No one denies they are short on cash since they are building a Giga- factory, a Super- charging network and I imagine a costly production line for their second model (it would hurt less if it was 12th and other 11 were selling at the time), while developing another one (Model III). Big plans need big money (hence stock sale), yet taking big but justified risks is what sets brilliant business people apart from the rest of us.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 11:18:57 am »
Amazon barely makes profits or makes small losses but it thrives, is respected for it's innovation and is now giving best buy, walmart etc a run for its money. I compare this to Telsa, they are the pioneers in this field and are now forcing the i5's and the Audi etrons and the bolts to be manufactured. I am happy that people are paying premium for the P85D so that TELSA can make model III a reality.

My only Fear for TELSA is that they are betting very big on the gigafactory to lower the price of batteries. If LG or other manufacturers supply batteries of similar specs to other auto companies (Hyundai, Audi, BMW, Nissan etc) then they may not have the pricing advantage anymore and face a lot of competition. If it becomes a volume game for battery cost it will be hard for TELSA to compete with the GM's and Toyota's of the world with their dealer network etc.

The good thing that has come out of it is in less than 5 years we will all be able to buy a <$40,000 all electric car with atleast 200 mile range. Also no ICE will result in lower maintenance cost and no fuel cost. A very 2nd car option for a lot of families.

It is hard to deny that TELSA accelerated this change which is very positive overall for everyone
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:21:23 am by CSH »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 07:26:10 pm »
Amazon barely makes profits or makes small losses but it thrives, is respected for it's innovation and is now giving best buy, walmart etc a run for its money. I compare this to Telsa, they are the pioneers in this field and are now forcing the i5's and the Audi etrons and the bolts to be manufactured. I am happy that people are paying premium for the P85D so that TELSA can make model III a reality.

My only Fear for TELSA is that they are betting very big on the gigafactory to lower the price of batteries. If LG or other manufacturers supply batteries of similar specs to other auto companies (Hyundai, Audi, BMW, Nissan etc) then they may not have the pricing advantage anymore and face a lot of competition. If it becomes a volume game for battery cost it will be hard for TELSA to compete with the GM's and Toyota's of the world with their dealer network etc.

The good thing that has come out of it is in less than 5 years we will all be able to buy a <$40,000 all electric car with atleast 200 mile range. Also no ICE will result in lower maintenance cost and no fuel cost. A very 2nd car option for a lot of families.

It is hard to deny that TELSA accelerated this change which is very positive overall for everyone

I wonder if Korean made cells have some import tax or duty. Tesla reportedly will make new cells slightly bigger, specifically 20mm by 700mm. It is only one of the ways to make them cheaper per kWh.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 08:13:13 am »
Import duties would not be a consideration one way or the other sooner or later..
The technology behind the battery is the game changer

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 12:50:41 pm »
I was referring to the following comment  "Tesla reportedly will make new cells slightly bigger, specifically 20mm by 700mm"

My point was that TELSA cannot survive long just on the basis of import duty restrictions on froeign made batteries..  :D Their battert technology has to be different if they need to survivie

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 04:57:15 pm »
elon is quite a salesman though.  he says the losses keep piling up because of the development costs of the gigafactory and the development costs of the model x & model 3 then he springs a 683 million dollar dilution of their stock and the stock goes up.  it's mind boggling.

I know a few people that have stock.  They are well off folks that haven't risked anything they can't walk away from.  What they see is two-fold:

1. This guy is is trying to change the way things work and how people think - and for the better.  The vision is about long term change - not quarterly profits.  This is long game.

2. It might be the next Google - and then who will be laughing?  No one saw the potential of a search engine (how do you monetize it?) and now the people that got in early are looking like visionaries.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 05:45:39 pm »
Elon can't change the world because its too late. There are much much much bigger issues to resolve and EV's are only a drop in the bucket. Any real change in how humans are destroying the planet will take one or two generations.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 09:41:37 pm »
Plus he thinks robots and drones will wipe out humanity!   :rofl2:

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 07:19:45 pm »
asking not to use supercharging stations after telling everybody they are free to use emphasizes one of the many issues  ... In fact they haven't built one yet in downtown Toronto so that won't be a problem for us up here.

The didn't tell everybody, a small percentage of owners got a letter regarding their supercharging habits. 
I didn't get one, and have supercharged a lot in the last month.

they haven't built one yet in downtown Toronto so that won't be a problem for us up here.

Supercharged our Tesla in Toronto yesterday on the way back home.  Very convenient and easy to add 200 km of range in the time it took us to get a snack at Timmies.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 07:30:21 pm »

The didn't tell everybody, a small percentage of owners got a letter regarding their supercharging habits. 

Still....it's somewhat bad business.  The slogan was "free forever".  And from their website "“Customers are free to use the Supercharger network as much as they like.” They tout and talk up the superchargers like mad, then they tell certain owners to curb their use?  Tesla was supposed to be different.  This move strikes me as no different than any other corporation.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1200
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 08:33:14 pm »
Some owners were parking their cars at the charging stations, leaving them there and blocking other owners in need of a charge. Electricity cost is so low, iI doubt very much it was a factor.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 08:34:52 pm »
Some owners were parking their cars at the charging stations, leaving them there and blocking other owners in need of a charge. Electricity cost is so low, iI doubt very much it was a factor.

I read several of the posts.  Something must be screwy in how they determined who got a letter.  One guy had used the charger ~4 times in 9,000 miles.  Another just a couple times in 18 months.

They both got the letter.  And were offended.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 10:54:25 pm »
The gigafactory will reduce battery costs enough to make the Model 3 priced similar to a BMW 3xx. 
There is a gaping hole in the market for a mid-priced premium sedan with performance and 400 km real world range.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 12:40:24 pm »
maybe E cars of the future will never need to stop for re-charging http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/18/technology/uk-electric-cars-roads/index.html

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 09:34:17 pm »
How will the giga factory reduce costs to the point that they will be able to make money on a car the same size as the i3?   

Right now, Tesla's battery costs are half those of it's competition, without the gigafactory.
Elon Musk states that the minimum cost improvement is 30% with gigafactory.

That puts a battery ~2.5 times the range of it's competition into a car the size/scope/cost of it's competition.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 09:46:48 pm »
How will the giga factory reduce costs to the point that they will be able to make money on a car the same size as the i3?   

Right now, Tesla's battery costs are half those of it's competition, without the gigafactory.
Elon Musk states that the minimum cost improvement is 30% with gigafactory.

That puts a battery ~2.5 times the range of it's competition into a car the size/scope/cost of it's competition.

Link?