Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek  (Read 25265 times)

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 05:45:08 pm »
The vehicle sleeve actually seals around the hatch really well and outside of where the exhaust runs and the material around it is super-thick - so I don't think fumes would be an issue.
Having said that - why would you run the car while you're set up with the tent?

I wouldn't run the car. However, no matter how clean the exhaust is, there's always some remnant off-gases. It's still attached to the back, so regardless if they try to separate the exhaust it will still seep in. Then there's the issue over having to dismantle the tent partially be able to drive the car. To me, it's more a question as to what is the exact benefit in having a tent attached to a small car? On something like a Vanagon, it made sense, as it could accommodate a sleeping arrangement - the Subaru simply can't (at least, not comfortably). 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 05:50:29 pm »
Never had problems with bears while camping up north for 30 years up north with my trusty canoe trip 12 gauge and slugs  :)

Yep.  12 gauge+Dixie Slugs Dangerous Game Slug (DGS) = Less worries.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Northernridge

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 06:58:58 pm »
Never had problems with bears while camping up north for 30 years up north with my trusty canoe trip 12 gauge and slugs  :)

You didn't prefer the buck - slug - buck - slug - buck method? Supposed to be good for a panic response.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 07:04:20 pm »

You didn't prefer the buck - slug - buck - slug - buck method? Supposed to be good for a panic response.

A pissed off bear may laugh at buck though.  Unless you use something massive like Tri-Ball buck shot.

Either way...if you don't put it on target, you're in trouble.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 08:32:08 pm »

Yes, but more with the plug out  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2015, 08:37:00 pm »

If you went Buck then Slug, Slug, Slug, Slug, etc.  But if you hit it with Buck and scared it away...now you have a wounded bear.  And that's not a good thing at all.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2015, 08:38:10 pm »

If you went Buck then Slug, Slug, Slug, Slug, etc.  But if you hit it with Buck and scared it away...now you have a wounded bear.  And that's not a good thing at all.

Not with a semi

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2015, 08:40:42 pm »

Not with a semi

What do you mean?  You hit him with the buck first round and he turns and runs.  You don't get a 2nd shot regardless of type of shotgun.  Now bear is wounded.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2015, 08:46:22 pm »
Buck is warning and with a semi the slug is ready in a second if da bear don't get it. You need to go blue berry picking  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2015, 08:49:37 pm »
Buck is warning and with a semi the slug is ready in a second if da bear don't get it. You need to go blue berry picking  :)

Experienced shooters can cycle a pump in near identical time as autoloader.

I once saw a guy get 4 shots off from a double barrerl faster than an autoloader!

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2015, 09:23:06 pm »
Back to the car...

Update the 2.0 with direct injection and bump it to approx 160bhp, 160lbf AND a frickin 6 speed manual gearbox (is it only this and the Fiat 500 still on sale with 5 speeders? Am I missing any?) and I'd buy this as my next car.

Drop the 2.5 in attached to the CVT, which I don't hate in cars with enough torque to drive the CVT low rpm game, and it can be my girlfriend's car.

The 2.0 today with a 5 speed (and no sound insulation) - no thanks.

The 2.0 today with the CVT and sound insulation because it's a gutless POS - no thanks.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:24:47 pm by theonlydt »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2015, 09:38:45 pm »
(is it only this and the Fiat 500 still on sale with 5 speeders? Am I missing any?)

Golf 1.8T, Jetta 1.8T, Passat 1.8T all have five-speeds. So does the Focus 2.0 and Fiesta 1.6.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2015, 10:21:15 pm »
the base engine should be the 2.5 and the 2.0T should be available in an XT trim.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2015, 10:22:38 pm »
LOL going "camping" this weekend.  I am going to the GCFR rally.

The driver I agreed to co-drive with told me he had access to a cottage, great!  Then a few days later he tells met he cottage has been cancelled and we were going to tent it.

I said HELLZ NO!

Called up Angry Chicken and thankfully he lent me his coleman tent trailer.  It's not a cottage or full sized RV trailer but it's certainly better than a tent.

Ah that's pretty wimpy.  If I didn't have kids, I would be tent camping.  I have 2 Eureka tents, and plenty of backpacking gear.  But camping with tents with two kids is tough.  So the Fleetwood tent trailer it is.  But... since it's only one weekend.  I am not putting any water into it. 

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2015, 12:40:24 am »
Compared to the $100-ish tents you an buy at Canadian Tire and Costco, it's expensive.  Compared to Hilleberg tents, it's cheap...

http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/products/red-label/nallo/nallo4gt.php

Or this one...

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/space-station-OU9659.html

What kind of idiot would buy one of those Hilleberg tents. :-[8)

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

People who transport their tents without the use of engines, such as hikers and bicycle tourers, have completely different needs in tents than those going car camping.  (We happen to use the same for both, but that's because our 4-person tent is unusually light.  However, unlike car camping tents, you can't stand up in it)

We have relatives who until recently had an Aztec, with the tent option.  They used it a lot.

Mountain climbers have even more demanding requirements for tough tents with maximum size at minimum weight, and cost kind of ceases to be a factor.  Bear in mind that a full complement of the finest mountaineering or hiking gear costs less than an outboard motor.

As for the Subaru, it's too bad the Suzuki Grand Vitara never got this sort of glowing attention.  Compared to the Crosstrek, it was far more capable both in terms of rough road capability and space.  Most Grand Vitaras had a low range.  We just took ours deep into BC's decommissioned logging roads, almost 5 hours from home, with 5 adults and 5 backpacks plus boots and other gear aboard.  That would include 2 tents, 5 camping mattresses, 5 sleeping bags, 5 pairs of boots, food for 3 days, 2 cooking systems, etc. etc.  And no cargo on the roof or in the passenger areas.  Not to mention, unlike the Subaru, an engine that's good for ever.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2015, 07:14:46 am »
Compared to the $100-ish tents you an buy at Canadian Tire and Costco, it's expensive.  Compared to Hilleberg tents, it's cheap...

http://us.hilleberg.com/EN/products/red-label/nallo/nallo4gt.php

Or this one...

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/space-station-OU9659.html

What kind of idiot would buy one of those Hilleberg tents. :-[8)

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

People who transport their tents without the use of engines, such as hikers and bicycle tourers, have completely different needs in tents than those going car camping.  (We happen to use the same for both, but that's because our 4-person tent is unusually light.  However, unlike car camping tents, you can't stand up in it)

We have relatives who until recently had an Aztec, with the tent option.  They used it a lot.

Mountain climbers have even more demanding requirements for tough tents with maximum size at minimum weight, and cost kind of ceases to be a factor.  Bear in mind that a full complement of the finest mountaineering or hiking gear costs less than an outboard motor.

It was an inside joke as John knows I own a Hilleberg tent.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2015, 07:35:37 am »
(is it only this and the Fiat 500 still on sale with 5 speeders? Am I missing any?)

Golf 1.8T, Jetta 1.8T, Passat 1.8T all have five-speeds. So does the Focus 2.0 and Fiesta 1.6.

Thanks!

The VW products were a surprise (my father has a Skoda 1.8TSI in the UK with a 6 speed) - but at least they're really torquey low down and can probably get away with a high final drive ratio to make the highway quiet and efficient. The Focus in particular from that list needs a 6 speed - I'd managed to completely forget. Actually, so does the Fiesta, I remember some pretty large gaps between gears because they wanted 5th to be high enough. I would put the XV in the "gutless torqueless" category, requiring a 6 speed more than most.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2015, 09:51:57 am »
The 2.0L and CVT were perfectly fine to me. Hitting 6.5L/100km on the highway for an AWD CUV was well worth a bit of 0-60 time.

I still think an XV XT would be great fun, but I'm not sure how big the market would be.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2015, 01:34:50 pm »
Ah that's pretty wimpy.  If I didn't have kids, I would be tent camping.  I have 2 Eureka tents, and plenty of backpacking gear.  But camping with tents with two kids is tough.  So the Fleetwood tent trailer it is.  But... since it's only one weekend.  I am not putting any water into it.

That was a joke right? I've camped with a 2 and 4 year old in a tent and now every time before they come back they call me and say, bring the tent as we are camping again. My buddy just spent 4 weeks in Colorado tent camping with his kids.

I don't understand how tent camping is any harder than trailer camping?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Test Drive: 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2015, 01:51:15 pm »
My form of camping includes room service.   Camping in a tent on gravel does not Constitute fun to me.

Honestly I have a feeling even with the trailer I will not be happy,  since my Co driver is bringing his wife and kid,  which I find very weird but whatever I'll deal with it.

It's one night,  water is full ;)   arrive at 8pm sleep at 10 wake at 6 pack up and go home.

Story to come.