Author Topic: Chevrolet, GMC officially introduce diesel for Colorado, Canyon  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Big diesel torque likely to come with bigger diesel pricetag
Read More...

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
Re: Chevrolet, GMC officially introduce diesel for Colorado, Canyon
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:10:50 pm »
A Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 LT starts at $34,500, so if the diesel is a $4k bump, that puts the cheapest version at $38,500 before freight and taxes. Yes, the LT is "only" a $3400 bump over the WT, but that is cash that some would want to spend on the motor - not on power seats, alloy wheels, and other bling.

Meanwhile, Ram will sell you a 1500 ST Tradesman Quad Cab 4x4 with an Ecodiesel option. Yes, you really need to add a few items (LSD, ST Popular Equipment Group, Tow Pacakage) to make it livable. Price? Around $38k, also before freight and taxes.

I'm not implying that full size trucks are inherently better, just that Ram has decided to give buyers of even the most basic truck access to the most work ready engine.

Just imagine how awesome a work truck a Colorado WT with this diesel be? Why does GM do this? First the Cruze Diesel, now this. What would the cost be to GM to have this engine be an option across the board???

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:31:44 pm »
A Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 LT starts at $34,500, so if the diesel is a $4k bump, that puts the cheapest version at $38,500 before freight and taxes. Yes, the LT is "only" a $3400 bump over the WT, but that is cash that some would want to spend on the motor - not on power seats, alloy wheels, and other bling.

Meanwhile, Ram will sell you a 1500 ST Tradesman Quad Cab 4x4 with an Ecodiesel option. Yes, you really need to add a few items (LSD, ST Popular Equipment Group, Tow Pacakage) to make it livable. Price? Around $38k, also before freight and taxes.

I'm not implying that full size trucks are inherently better, just that Ram has decided to give buyers of even the most basic truck access to the most work ready engine.

Just imagine how awesome a work truck a Colorado WT with this diesel be? Why does GM do this? First the Cruze Diesel, now this. What would the cost be to GM to have this engine be an option across the board???

To be fair, that $38k price is after $8500 in incentives.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 05:50:32 pm »

It tough not to feel like GM really dropped the ball on this one. What a huge opportunity missed to reach out to commercial/fleet business let alone trades/small business guys who run their trucks to the ground. WT trim offers all that is needed for most buyers. I don't have a problem with the pricing structure as lots of buyers want midsize trucks, but not offering the much anticipated diesel on the base trim is a mistake. 

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 05:52:08 pm »

To be fair, that $38k price is after $8500 in incentives.

True, and I probably shouldn't have left out that fact.

Also, it took away from my main point. Why isn't GM offering the diesel in lower trim levels as FCA does? Surely, this will dissuade any commercial/fleet user from even considering this vehicle.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:14:43 pm »
It tough not to feel like GM really dropped the ball on this one. What a huge opportunity missed to reach out to commercial/fleet business let alone trades/small business guys who run their trucks to the ground. WT trim offers all that is needed for most buyers. I don't have a problem with the pricing structure as lots of buyers want midsize trucks, but not offering the much anticipated diesel on the base trim is a mistake.

I still think GM will eventually reach out to other markets.  However right now GM cannot build enough Colorado's and Canyon's right now even before the Diesel is launched.  GM's Wentzville, MO plant is running three shifts trying to keep up with demand.   So it's a little tough to say GM dropped the ball.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 06:44:54 am »
This Diesel will start as an option on high end models and within a year or so will spread through the rest of the range.

Gasoline is so cheap in the US right now that early uptake rates might be a little lower than on the RAM Diesel that launched
a while back.

Although the Canyon and Colorado are selling very well the (old) Tacoma is also up by around 20% in the US market.

Maybe smallish trucks are finally back in style.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 08:48:46 am »

I don't think I've even seen a base crew cab Canyon or Colorado. I think if the diesel is successful we will see it in other models as well but for now it makes sense to introduce it in the high volume trims.

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:21:53 am »
I see the diesel package includes an exhaust brake, trailer tow package, brake controller, LSD and one or two other items. I think these things are included in the price spread over the V6, not just the engine.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 11:48:37 am »

I don't think I've even seen a base crew cab Canyon or Colorado. I think if the diesel is successful we will see it in other models as well but for now it makes sense to introduce it in the high volume trims.

Just out of curiosity - and this is by no means scientific! - I took a quick look online at two of the larger west end GM dealers in Ottawa (Myers locations at Merivale and Kanata). Combined, they only have 7 in stock, and none of them are 4x4s. 4 are the very base extended cab models - 4 cylinder 6-speed manuals no less!, there are 2 Crew Cab LTs, and 1 Crew Cab WT. Only 1 of the LTs has the V6. Who knows, maybe the way that they are optioned is the reason why these are still in stock!

I see the diesel package includes an exhaust brake, trailer tow package, brake controller, LSD and one or two other items. I think these things are included in the price spread over the V6, not just the engine.

Yep, if they keep the price at $4k, it makes for a lot of value!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 12:28:32 pm »

I don't think so because in the press release the price difference they mention is between "comparably equipped" models.