Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 2: 2015 Toyota Corolla S  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Update 2: 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« on: August 04, 2015, 06:28:26 am »

The drive.

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Long-Term Test Update 2: 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:18:09 am »
I think a lot of what needs to be addressed when reviewing the Corolla is the daily commute (which you've done quite well!  :cheers: ), but the flexibility of the cargo area for weekender trips for a small family, the HMI for commuting, and  the economical nature of the beast.  Therein lies the strength of the vanilla and I'm interested to know if it truly is upset by the sporting pretensions or not.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:35:26 am »
I think a lot of what needs to be addressed when reviewing the Corolla is the daily commute (which you've done quite well!  :cheers: ), but the flexibility of the cargo area for weekender trips for a small family, the HMI for commuting, and  the economical nature of the beast.  Therein lies the strength of the vanilla and I'm interested to know if it truly is upset by the sporting pretensions or not.

Really?  You're wondering if the cargo space is compromised by the sporting pretensions?  That's your question?  WHAT sporting pretensions?  It's a corolla with a new front fascia.  What, do you think Toyota has implemented some kind of fancy new rear suspension design that lets the car pull a 1G turn but eats into the trunkspace?  Really, It's a Corolla.  If the previous gen Corolla was a librarian, this Corolla is a librarian with lipstick and contact lenses.  It's still the same darn car.

And as far as the HMI, I guess that's a valid question considering how quickly that technology is adapting.  But it could have been worded a little differently:  Does it forgo a Civic-like volume slider for an actual volume knob?  Because if so, it's an automatic pass.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:50:06 am »

Really?  You're wondering if the cargo space is compromised by the sporting pretensions?  That's your question?  WHAT sporting pretensions?  It's a corolla with a new front fascia.  What, do you think Toyota has implemented some kind of fancy new rear suspension design that lets the car pull a 1G turn but eats into the trunkspace?  Really, It's a Corolla.  If the previous gen Corolla was a librarian, this Corolla is a librarian with lipstick and contact lenses.  It's still the same darn car.

And as far as the HMI, I guess that's a valid question considering how quickly that technology is adapting.  But it could have been worded a little differently:  Does it forgo a Civic-like volume slider for an actual volume knob?  Because if so, it's an automatic pass.
No, I'm not wondering if it's compromised.  I suggested areas that should be addressed in a proper Corolla review.  Its driving pretensions are good to be reviewed, and they were, but what of its practicality that makes it such a popular seller?  Why is this size of car good?  How does its usable space compare to its competitors?

Nowhere did I suggest that the sporting pretensions in any way compromise those things: I only remarked that (as is often the case) the qualities that shoppers of this car are looking for are completely overshadowed by automotive journalists talking about how it handles off-ramps, etc.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 10:20:15 am »
Our Gen 10 car has the same basic suspension including the rear beam axle, and it's not sporting, that's for sure, but it works.  One thing that is really nice is the lack of suspension intrusion into the trunk - it helps create a "box" shape to the trunk which is great for packing.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 10:34:54 am »
Really, It's a Corolla.  If the previous gen Corolla was a librarian, this Corolla is a librarian with lipstick and contact lenses.  It's still the same darn car.

Why would a librarian take her glasses off? They're the hottest thing about them!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 10:36:33 am »
Nowhere did I suggest that the sporting pretensions in any way compromise those things: I only remarked that (as is often the case) the qualities that shoppers of this car are looking for are completely overshadowed by automotive journalists talking about how it handles off-ramps, etc.

Patience grasshopper!  :rofl: :rofl2:
This is one of several updates planned for this car. We'll hit all those points and more**, I promise*.

*Not a guarantee
**Anyone got any McDonald's trays?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:12:42 am »

Patience grasshopper!
This is one of several updates planned for this car.
Oh, for sure.  I have patience - it was just my suggestion of what I think should be in a review, but I concur that this is a good long-term update.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 12:21:43 pm »

Patience grasshopper!  :rofl: :rofl2:
This is one of several updates planned for this car. We'll hit all those points and more**, I promise*.

*Not a guarantee
**Anyone got any McDonald's trays?

LOL!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 01:32:18 pm »
My buddy had a 9th gen Corolla S and for years had managed to win autocross after autocross event with it. The same bone stock suspension the CE and LE had. So the car is just part of the equation.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 12:47:44 am »
Really, It's a Corolla.  If the previous gen Corolla was a librarian, this Corolla is a librarian with lipstick and contact lenses.  It's still the same darn car.

Why would a librarian take her glasses off? They're the hottest thing about them!

Classic case in point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTuyoOyWh0c   
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.