Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI; Day 1  (Read 21162 times)

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 01:39:42 pm »
I still think this car is about $5k overpriced given that the WRX can be had with AWD for cheaper.  $37k on the WRX gets you the automatic Sport Tech with 48+hp.

It seems like a really, really nice car, but I'd be all over the Golf R, especially if it were $37k (the Subie wouldn't stand a chance...but as it stands, the Subie is still what, $8k cheaper than the R?)
8K difference is between a base WRX and Golf R?  The two aren't comparable at all.  Golf R is pretty much loaded even in base trim.  Also it has more power than WRX.  I think better comparison is a tech STI (similar power/performance) which is more expensive than loaded Golf R so looking at it that way the R is a decent deal.
$37k isn't the base WRX.  Base WRX is $29,995, whereas $37k is literally loaded with every possible feature (incl the auto tranny).

Correct, the Golf R is rated at 292hp vs the WRX's 268hp, but the STI is 6MT only and therefore out of my concern. But read the bolded area again - I would be ALL over the R (as the better car) if it were the same price as the AWD WRX, but it's not...it's $8k more comparably-spec'd and to me that's simply not worth it.

If auto is the only option the Loaded WRX CVT is $37,395 vs loaded Golf R DSG with tech pack is $43,410.  So that's $6k not 8.  6k is a lot of money for sure.  I still haven't sat in a Golf R (or driven one) but to me WRX still feels pretty cheap and CVT doesn't really compare to DSG either.  I'm hoping one of the dealers here have a demo Golf R soon to take for a drive.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 01:48:54 pm »
They presold tons of Rs so it could be some time before you are able to test drive one.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 01:55:37 pm »
They presold tons of Rs so it could be some time before you are able to test drive one.

2 of my friends are getting them soon so if all else fails I will just drive theirs  ;D

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 01:57:41 pm »
Hard to fault the GTI provided it's within the budget and you don't mind its clean, classic design.

I wish they offered more colour options (I'm having a hard time deciding on the colour) and perhaps different wheels (that's me), but I can live with what they have. Happy VW decided to keep the GTI plaid seats and as a matter of fact, cloth seats.

@ Wing:

Can you take a closer (then usual) look at the fit and finish, gaps, rattles, etc.? Maybe drive over some broken pavement at relatively high speed to expose any problems (if any) in this area? Made in Mexico vs Made in Germany an issue upon visual inspection?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:00:07 pm by carcrazy »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 02:55:19 pm »
I wish they offered more colour options (I'm having a hard time deciding on the colour) and perhaps different wheels (that's me), but I can live with what they have. Happy VW decided to keep the GTI plaid seats and as a matter of fact, cloth seats.

They're adding silver and dark blue for '16.

Offline joyofriding

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Subaru Legacy
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 05:06:13 pm »
Maybe the mulimedia has been updates but why no USB, only proprietary cables? Apperantly this is the same situation in Audi A3.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 05:37:05 pm »
I still think this car is about $5k overpriced given that the WRX can be had with AWD for cheaper.  $37k on the WRX gets you the automatic Sport Tech with 48+hp.

It seems like a really, really nice car, but I'd be all over the Golf R, especially if it were $37k (the Subie wouldn't stand a chance...but as it stands, the Subie is still what, $8k cheaper than the R?)
8K difference is between a base WRX and Golf R?  The two aren't comparable at all.  Golf R is pretty much loaded even in base trim.  Also it has more power than WRX.  I think better comparison is a tech STI (similar power/performance) which is more expensive than loaded Golf R so looking at it that way the R is a decent deal.
$37k isn't the base WRX.  Base WRX is $29,995, whereas $37k is literally loaded with every possible feature (incl the auto tranny).

Correct, the Golf R is rated at 292hp vs the WRX's 268hp, but the STI is 6MT only and therefore out of my concern. But read the bolded area again - I would be ALL over the R (as the better car) if it were the same price as the AWD WRX, but it's not...it's $8k more comparably-spec'd and to me that's simply not worth it.

Depends what is important to you and an owner and driver

http://www.motortrend.ca/en/enthusiast/feature/consumer/1503-2015-subaru-wrx-sti-vs-2015-volkswagen-golf-r/

The Golf has tons of understeer and ""All in all, the Subaru is a more enjoyable and satisfying driver's car due to the adjustability of the AWD system"

Subaru for me!

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 05:40:33 pm »
Maybe the mulimedia has been updates but why no USB, only proprietary cables? Apperantly this is the same situation in Audi A3.
Yup next year finally USB!   Even the PR guy made a joke about it.

Offline CAS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jetta VR6, GTI 1.8T, 330ci, RSX, SAAB 9-3 2.0T, '13 Accord 6-sp, '15 GTI 4dr w/6-sp
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 09:37:25 am »
I got my self one without the performance pkg and stick. I had considered the WRX but couldn't put up with the noise and harshness on daliy long drives - it's still a great car but not what I needed.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 12:08:30 pm »

This bothered me at first, but in the end you just insert your music on an SD card and you have the same result, without the "bulk" of a thumb drive sticking out like a sore...thumb. Cables are supplied for both type of iPlugs, taking care of the work phone, so the absence of USB only comes up for my personal Droid. With SD cards, Sirius, FM, CDs and the iPhone, if I REALLY need the tunes on the Droid, well there's Bluetooth. And to power it up, just plug-in a 12V-to-USB gizmo in the storage console power socket, and voilą!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 12:23:34 pm »

This bothered me at first, but in the end you just insert your music on an SD card and you have the same result, without the "bulk" of a thumb drive sticking out like a sore...thumb. Cables are supplied for both type of iPlugs, taking care of the work phone, so the absence of USB only comes up for my personal Droid. With SD cards, Sirius, FM, CDs and the iPhone, if I REALLY need the tunes on the Droid, well there's Bluetooth. And to power it up, just plug-in a 12V-to-USB gizmo in the storage console power socket, and voilą!
yes, but if we don't b!tch about it, then proprietary cables will continue ;)

I really like the GTI, but even with the PP, it wouldn't be ideal in the snow.  Golf R is where I want to be, but I'd be pushing my pricing boundaries.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 12:37:38 pm »

yes, but if we don't b!tch about it, then proprietary cables will continue ;)

I really like the GTI, but even with the PP, it wouldn't be ideal in the snow.  Golf R is where I want to be, but I'd be pushing my pricing boundaries.

More expensive than free family cars, yes?  :stick:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 12:39:33 pm »

I think in the A3 you get the privilege of paying an extra 250$ for the connection pkg. Not sure what's included in there though - hopefully more than base VW spec. Audi's website or brocures aren't, ahem, clear.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 12:40:12 pm »
>:( >:( >:( >:(

DON'T YOU START!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 12:44:08 pm »

I believe you can also get an MDI to USB adapter cable.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 12:44:55 pm »

2 of my friends are getting them soon so if all else fails I will just drive theirs  ;D

presold tons??  what constitutes tons?   maybe there's hope for the golf R wagon after all.

The number I heard was around 800 in Canada.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 12:45:42 pm »
>:( >:( >:( >:(

DON'T YOU START!

yes, but if we don't b!tch about it, then proprietary cables car non-ownership will continue ;) 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 01:08:02 pm »

If auto is the only option the Loaded WRX CVT is $37,395 vs loaded Golf R DSG with tech pack is $43,410.  So that's $6k not 8.  6k is a lot of money for sure.  I still haven't sat in a Golf R (or driven one) but to me WRX still feels pretty cheap and CVT doesn't really compare to DSG either.  I'm hoping one of the dealers here have a demo Golf R soon to take for a drive.

I would definitely pay $6K for the much nicer interior (careful Vman)  :rofl2: and the DSG over CVT.  I'm assuming the price difference is less with the manual Golf.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 01:13:22 pm »
BTW, the Performance Package doesn't just add logos to the brake calipers. The brakes are also larger. I think they're the same brakes that the Golf R has.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 02:22:15 pm »

I would definitely pay $6K for the much nicer interior (careful Vman)  :rofl2: and the DSG over CVT.  I'm assuming the price difference is less with the manual Golf.

I definitely wouldn't. The interior differences are imperceptible to me and the CVT is much smoother around town than the DSG, which still has difficulties at low speed.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken