Author Topic: Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R  (Read 76471 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2019, 07:14:42 pm »
That's too bad about the seats.  Years ago I bought a new Honda civic Si that I had to eventually sell because of the seats.  The seats felt great during the test drive and at other times I had driven them, but after about 45 minutes of steady driving my lower back started bothering me.  I did a lot of road travel at the time for work, and that's what I bought it for, but couldn't stand the longer trips after a while so I sold it within two years.

I was worried that might also happen with both my roadsters as they have a similar raked seating position to the Civic Si but neither bother me in that way, so lucky there.
Yeah the next vehicle will need to pass the hour drive test before I pull the trigger.  I have so many options come next summer I'm not sure which would be best.  Part of me would really like a comfy luxury cruiser and part of me wants something fun to drive, that's why I like my Golf R so much.

I've even considered getting a pickup simply because it would come in handy, I've always found them comfy to ride in, and I feel like I wouldn't stress over every paint chip or scratch.

I'll have enough money saved and equity in the two paid off vehicles that my wife's new CUV should be paid for plus leave me a little for a down payment.  We'll be comfortable with a $400 bi-weekly payment.  One of the bigger considerations this time around is reliability and resale value.

I totally left out Subaru in my above list by accident, my wife really likes the Crosstrek and I'd consider the WRX if the new one comes out.  I don't think my wife realizes how underpowered the Crosstrek is.  If she had her way she'd be upgrading her V6 for a V8 but I've told her a 4 cylinder is in her future.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2019, 07:22:02 pm »
The radio not working properly and not being able to get into reverse are things that make my head explode. It baffles me that stuff like this can happen on a new car with minimal mileage.

Both of these are some of the most basic things...and yet they don't work right. WTF?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2019, 07:29:27 pm »
The radio not working properly and not being able to get into reverse are things that make my head explode. It baffles me that stuff like this can happen on a new car with minimal mileage.

Both of these are some of the most basic things...and yet they don't work right. WTF?
Both are due to cold weather.  No one says the Germans do electronics perfectly.  The not being able to shift into reverse is quelled if I let her warm up for a few minutes.  I asked the VW techs about this and if they use synthetic transmission fluid and they assured me they come from factory with it.  They offered to have a look at it for me but I would have to leave the vehicle there overnight when it's -20 out in order for them to recreate the issue.  Plus they'd likely just start the vehicle and let it idle for a minute before attempting to shift.  I don't have the most confidence in the dealer in recreating the issue if I'm not present.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2019, 08:13:06 pm »
I've done 4 consecutive 12 hour days in the Passat with no issues at all. And I have 4 damaged disks in my back.

Everybody's different though.

Your seats are nowhere near as aggresive.

I'm aware. It was in reference to Johnny's comment:

It's a little unfortunate because the current VW offerings there are few that interest me and that I would pick over the competition, and all of them would have the same seats as my Golf R (R, GTI, AWD Manual Sportwagen).

The seats in the Sportwagen would be closer to the ones in my car than the GTI or Golf R from what I remember.

Top spec wagons and Alltracks have the exact same seats as the GTI and R.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2019, 09:23:17 pm »

Both are due to cold weather.  No one says the Germans do electronics perfectly.  The not being able to shift into reverse is quelled if I let her warm up for a few minutes.  I asked the VW techs about this and if they use synthetic transmission fluid and they assured me they come from factory with it.  They offered to have a look at it for me but I would have to leave the vehicle there overnight when it's -20 out in order for them to recreate the issue.  Plus they'd likely just start the vehicle and let it idle for a minute before attempting to shift.  I don't have the most confidence in the dealer in recreating the issue if I'm not present.
I've known plenty of people who live where it was similarly cold to where you live and not being able to get into reverse or the radio not working weren't things...ever.

How long do you have to wait to be able to move?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2019, 11:07:55 pm »
-27C today and no issues with the radio or reverse in my R.  Something doesn't seem right with your car.
yea...we usually get one week during the winter where the temps hit the -30s...never had an issue my car either...actually, never had an issue with a car not being able to operate the transmission properly during the cold...something definitely seems off.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2019, 07:56:10 am »

I've known plenty of people who live where it was similarly cold to where you live and not being able to get into reverse or the radio not working weren't things...ever.

How long do you have to wait to be able to move?
I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, just saying it doesn't happen often and I know how to avoid it.  Usually only takes a couple of minutes for it to warm up and I usually need to let it warm up as the window is frosted over anyway.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2019, 07:59:29 am »
-27C today and no issues with the radio or reverse in my R.  Something doesn't seem right with your car.
I tend to agree but as I stated earlier getting the dealer to diagnose the issues would require me dropping it off over night and then meeting them first thing in the morning the next day.  To me it's not a big issue as I can avoid it and getting it looked at is a huge pain in the ass.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #188 on: January 19, 2019, 08:12:31 am »
Does not go into R, radio does not work , crappy seats  :o
but the car is the best thing since slice bread   ;D
Some of these Golf R owners sound like Tesla drivers  ;D :stick:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2019, 08:18:08 am »
No car is perfect...at least at this price point.

The really special cars are the ones we love regardless of their faults (and the ones I listed are literally all the faults as I see them).

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 19, 2019, 09:05:34 am »

The seats definitely aren’t crappy.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2019, 09:12:24 am »

From his post
the fact that my back can't handle driving her for more than an hour at a time.  I don't know what it is about the seats but I just can't get comfortable driving her.  I've made all sorts of adjustments to them but nothing seems to help

To me , those are crappy seats

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2019, 01:56:46 pm »

From his post
the fact that my back can't handle driving her for more than an hour at a time.  I don't know what it is about the seats but I just can't get comfortable driving her.  I've made all sorts of adjustments to them but nothing seems to help

To me , those are crappy seats
that doesn't mean the seats are crappy, it just means the seats aren't the most comfortable for him...with my bad back, it's likely possible i'd be in the same boat, but i wouldn't say they were crappy...they'd likely be perfect for me 10 years ago.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2019, 02:26:30 pm »

They do wear quickly, however.  The leather bolsters are already wearing down because of ingress and egress.

That is the thing with VW and Audi.  Everything looks and feels amazing at first.

No wear issues with mine so far but I'm a bit more careful getting in and out so I don't mash the side bolsters every time.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2019, 03:28:38 pm »

They do wear quickly, however.  The leather bolsters are already wearing down because of ingress and egress.

That is the thing with VW and Audi.  Everything looks and feels amazing at first.

No wear issues with mine so far but I'm a bit more careful getting in and out so I don't mash the side bolsters every time.

You also hardly drive at all.  :P

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2019, 06:05:06 pm »

You also hardly drive at all.  :P

Distance yes, but number of days my butt is in the seat is between 5-6 days per week. 

I'm not that much smaller than you Cadure at 6" 200 lbs.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:48:58 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2019, 06:19:21 pm »

Must be a thing with the newer VWs. My GTI is coming to 10 years and 250,000 kms in March and no wear issues with my seats.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2019, 11:20:31 pm »

Must be a thing with the newer VWs. My GTI is coming to 10 years and 250,000 kms in March and no wear issues with my seats.

That is an amazing # of KM for a VW.

Question:  do you have leather?  Over at VWVortex there have been accounts of premature wearing of the leather on the side bolsters of the R and GTI.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #198 on: January 20, 2019, 08:22:26 am »

The really special cars are the ones we love regardless of their faults (and the ones I listed are literally all the faults as I see them).
Couldn’t agree more. The feel good stuff outweighs the idiosyncrasies. VW/Audi owners should understand. I’ve had reluctant reverse gear selection in a Honda when cold, too. That doesn’t make it right. The radio on the other hand.....
About the seats. Have you thought of getting a bit of padding reshaping done at an upholsterer?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2019, 06:28:39 pm »

Couldn’t agree more. The feel good stuff outweighs the idiosyncrasies. VW/Audi owners should understand. I’ve had reluctant reverse gear selection in a Honda when cold, too. That doesn’t make it right. The radio on the other hand.....
About the seats. Have you thought of getting a bit of padding reshaping done at an upholsterer?
I haven't thought about getting some of the padding reshaped mainly because I rarely drive her over an hour and I'm cheap.  Plus I don't really want to ruin the seats for the next owner.

The next vehicle I get will definitely need to offer a more comfortable seat.  I'd love to be able to take my Golf R on an extended road trip but as it stands any road trip needs to have breaks every hour to release the tension I get in my back and hips.