Author Topic: Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R  (Read 76465 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2016, 06:17:59 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Oliver's GTI is a lease so maybe he plans on buying it at the end.  I know he likes it enough at the moment to consider buying it.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2016, 06:19:32 pm »
I've had my GTI for just under 14 months and I crossed the 40k mark last week.  ;D
You live in the sticks with a 10 mile driveway, so the mileage makes sense. :rofl2:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2016, 04:57:55 pm »
I've had my GTI for just under 14 months and I crossed the 40k mark last week.  ;D
You live in the sticks with a 10 mile driveway, so the mileage makes sense. :rofl2:

Haha, touché.

It is a lease but I drove an extraordinary amount last year due to various road trips. My driving has slowed down a lot. In the past six months I drove less than 12k and in the last three under 5k. No significant road trips planned this year either.

I love the car but I don't see much point in keeping it even if I go over the allotted mileage by a large amount. I don't keep cars that long which is why I decided to try leasing in the first place. Either way I have to pay for extra mileage, whether that means paying the (reasonable) 10 cent per kilometre penalty or overpaying for a car that has a bunch of kms on it. I'd rather just get a different car.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2016, 10:04:18 am »
Got a message on the phone today from Fredericton VW.  They are informing me I have an appointment on Thursday for my 10 month service, and that they booked this when I bought the car.  Problem is, it hasn't quite been 8 months yet.  So not a lot of confidence in a dealer that can't count to 10 properly.

That's the same dealership that brought out a Jetta VR6 when I asked to look at a Golf diesel. Not even close buddy.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2016, 11:05:02 am »
Got a message on the phone today from Fredericton VW.  They are informing me I have an appointment on Thursday for my 10 month service, and that they booked this when I bought the car.  Problem is, it hasn't quite been 8 months yet.  So not a lot of confidence in a dealer that can't count to 10 properly.

That's the same dealership that brought out a Jetta VR6 when I asked to look at a Golf diesel. Not even close buddy.

The dealership has changed hands since then.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2016, 12:52:03 pm »

Mmmmm....VR6.

a buddy just bought a 1994 Corrado with the VR6.  100K KM's and British racing green.  The sound...ohhh..the sound.

Sad we won't be seeing these VR6's or any 6 cylinders in small VW's anymore.  The sound and character of that engine is soooo much better than these new turbo 4's IMHO.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2019, 10:18:52 am »
Seeing as others have updated their vehicles I figured maybe I should post a little summary of what has gone on over the past few years.

Not too many out of the ordinary warranty work done since owning. 

There was a rattle in the hatch when I first bought the vehicle and it was due to the factory not putting some cushioning tape in one of the areas in the back hatch, that was fixed in the first month of owning.

This past spring after I did a thorough cleaning both inside and out, one of the clips that hold the weather stripping on the bottom of the passenger side door let go and I couldn't for the life of me get it back in.  While I got them to fix that I also figured I'd tell them about a noise the rear suspension makes when going over a certain kind of pump (it was more of a squeak than an thunk and it happened every time I drive over a certain bump going to work).  The dealership fixed the clip and tightened and lubed the suspension and the noise was gone.

There's been a few blemished after almost 4 years of ownership.  Some small paint chips on the front grill, one larger paint chip on the roof (I swear some piece of crap Chevy threw a bolt at me), I cracked one of the rear trim pieces when I was cleaning her, I snagged a microfiber cloth on it, and lastly the outside window weather stripping has a few impact cuts in it (kind of hard to describe as it almost looks like it was cut with a knife).  I have no idea how they happened as I'm always gentle when scrapping ice of the window.  I asked for a quote for the trim piece and the weather stripping and the dealer started by saying the trim piece was $180, that's when I cut him off and just asked for the part numbers as their prices for these things are crazy.  I found the exact pieces that I needed on the web for less than half the price they were quoting.  I'll probably order this stuff and have it put back to whole before I trade it in next summer.

There have been a few quirks here and there, mostly during the winter months.  Sometimes when I start the vehicle the radio is on mute and won't pay music until I switch radio stations.  From time to time the different drive modes won't allow me to switch between them, but it's fixed the next time I'm in the car.  When it's super cold out and I just start the vehicle I have a hard time putting the gear in reverse.  I know to put it in the gear I'll need the next time I start her or allocate enough time for her to warm up before trying to shift gears.  It really isn't a big deal now that I know how to avoid it.

Current mileage is at 27,800 kms.  I've loved driving her and she has been great in bad weather. 

Something that makes me sure that I will be trading her in on something new in 2020 is the fact that my back can't handle driving her for more than an hour at a time.  I don't know what it is about the seats but I just can't get comfortable driving her.  I've made all sorts of adjustments to them but nothing seems to help.  This is my first car with "sports seats" and I worry that I'm a poor match to such seats.  I'm only 37, fit, and not prone to back issues.  I'm hoping it's just these VW seats that don't work with my body and not all "sports seats".

I haven't been too impressed with the dealership here in Fredericton.  I guess I expect a bit too much maybe.  I have never once felt that they went over and above for me and that was something the owner stated they would be doing for their Golf R owners.  I don't want to say the dealership is crap because that would be a lie, they are just average and not something that would sway me to pick VW over other products.  It's a little unfortunate because the current VW offerings there are few that interest me and that I would pick over the competition, and all of them would have the same seats as my Golf R (R, GTI, AWD Manual Sportwagen).

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:03:37 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2019, 10:24:33 am »
I have no idea how they happened as I'm always genital when scrapping ice of the window. 

:o

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2019, 10:33:41 am »
Great update... except for the genital's part  :rofl:

Weird about the seats though, the seats in my JGC aren't the greatest, but I can do 5hrs straight no problem, can't imagine only being able to drive only an hour! The sport seats in my 951 are seriously bolstered, but again, I've done 5hrs in them with ease, actually nicer than with my JGC.
You live everyday. You only die once....

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:48 am »
I've done 4 consecutive 12 hour days in the Passat with no issues at all. And I have 4 damaged disks in my back.

Everybody's different though.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2019, 12:07:24 pm »
Great update... except for the genital's part  :rofl:

Weird about the seats though, the seats in my JGC aren't the greatest, but I can do 5hrs straight no problem, can't imagine only being able to drive only an hour! The sport seats in my 951 are seriously bolstered, but again, I've done 5hrs in them with ease, actually nicer than with my JGC.
Talk about a bad spelling mistake.  Got that fixed.  Good laugh though.

I don't know what the cause is.  First I thought it was because I was sitting too far down and have my knees above my hips, so I jack the seat up a bit and the pain still bad.  Then I thought I have too much lumbar support, so I back that off, still no relief.  The pain seems to start in the hip area and grows into my lower back.  It's quite painful but once I'm out of the car it goes away almost instantly.

The :censor: of it all is I'm more comfortable in the passenger seat and can travel for longer distances but I didn't buy this vehicle to be driven around in.  My wife have zero back issues driving her.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2019, 12:48:19 pm »
Glad to hear there haven't been too many gremlins.

Sucks about the seats.

....and all of them would have the same seats as my Golf R (R, GTI, AWD Manual Sportwagen).

Super odd, since everyone else says the GTI/R/Highline seats are miles better than the base ones in my car (which are just ok).  Maybe try out the Comfortline Wagon since the seats are the same as mine but with V-Tex.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2019, 01:19:32 pm »
Yeah, both my wife and I loved the seats in the GTI.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2019, 02:41:30 pm »
Nice update....I'd seriously buy it when your lease is up if I could convince my wife to replace her Subaru with an R.  But alas, she does not want to give up the ride height...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2019, 02:48:32 pm »
Nice update....I'd seriously buy it when your lease is up if I could convince my wife to replace her Subaru with an R.  But alas, she does not want to give up the ride height...
Yeah the R definitely does not have much ground clearance.  I've plowed quite a big of roads in winters past with my front end (soft snow only). 

I know I'll miss my R when I do trade her in.  She has been very good to me and I do enjoy driving her (minus the seats).  But I really want to have a RWD vehicle at some point.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2019, 03:00:18 pm »
You are in Fredericton, correct? Does distance from a dealer make a BMW or Lexus less likely?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 18, 2019, 05:09:46 pm »
You are in Fredericton, correct? Does distance from a dealer make a BMW or Lexus less likely?
Yes I'm here in Fredericton and the only local luxury dealer is Volvo, and maybe Caddy and Lincoln if you count those as luxury.  BMW, Acura, Mini, and Audi are about a two hour drive.  Lexus and Mercedes is 1 hour away.  Infiniti, Jaguar, Genisis, Land Rover, and Porsche is about 4 hours away.

None of those distances affect my ability or desire to buy from them...but how much I can afford does.

I'm playing around with a few scenarios about how 2020 vehicle shopping will go down.  My wife deserves a new CUV as the Santa Fe will be over 10 years old, so that's basically a certainty.  I could replace my Golf R with something that will turn into my winter "beater" vehicle (considering Civic Si, Civic Type R, Civic Hatchback, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla Hatchback, Hyundai Veloster Turbo & R, VW GTI & Golf Sportwagen), or maybe I choose to keep our Santa Fe (which will likely have under 120,000kms on the odometer) and get my RWD vehicle early (Mustang GT or Camaro SS more than likely).  I've also considered getting a couple of used vehicles to suit my beater & RWD desires, right now I'd likely choose. Fiesta ST and a Scion FR-S.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #177 on: January 18, 2019, 05:57:47 pm »
Yes I'm here in Fredericton and the only local luxury dealer is Volvo, and maybe Caddy and Lincoln if you count those as luxury.  BMW, Acura, Mini, and Audi are about a two hour drive.  Lexus and Mercedes is 1 hour away.  Infiniti, Jaguar, Genisis, Land Rover, and Porsche is about 4 hours away.

None of those distances affect my ability or desire to buy from them...but how much I can afford does.

I'm playing around with a few scenarios about how 2020 vehicle shopping will go down.  My wife deserves a new CUV as the Santa Fe will be over 10 years old, so that's basically a certainty.  I could replace my Golf R with something that will turn into my winter "beater" vehicle (considering Civic Si, Civic Type R, Civic Hatchback, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla Hatchback, Hyundai Veloster Turbo & R, VW GTI & Golf Sportwagen), or maybe I choose to keep our Santa Fe (which will likely have under 120,000kms on the odometer) and get my RWD vehicle early (Mustang GT or Camaro SS more than likely).  I've also considered getting a couple of used vehicles to suit my beater & RWD desires, right now I'd likely choose. Fiesta ST and a Scion FR-S.

Thanks for sharing your update and sorry to read about the seats! Echoing others, i would have figured those premium Golf R seats would be endlessly comfy - they certainly were sweet when I sat in them for all of a minute at the dealership. But again, as mentioned, we're all built a little different.

If you do go the route of keeping the Santa Fe and buy yourself a nice RWD, why not consider a clean E46 BMW 3-series with their sport seats? Again, YMMV, but i loved them in my old 330ci - so comfy, and the thigh extensions were awesome for long legs.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #178 on: January 18, 2019, 06:57:41 pm »
That's too bad about the seats.  Years ago I bought a new Honda civic Si that I had to eventually sell because of the seats.  The seats felt great during the test drive and at other times I had driven them, but after about 45 minutes of steady driving my lower back started bothering me.  I did a lot of road travel at the time for work, and that's what I bought it for, but couldn't stand the longer trips after a while so I sold it within two years.

I was worried that might also happen with both my roadsters as they have a similar raked seating position to the Civic Si but neither bother me in that way, so lucky there.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2019, 07:00:49 pm »
I've done 4 consecutive 12 hour days in the Passat with no issues at all. And I have 4 damaged disks in my back.

Everybody's different though.

Your seats are nowhere near as aggresive.

I'm aware. It was in reference to Johnny's comment:

It's a little unfortunate because the current VW offerings there are few that interest me and that I would pick over the competition, and all of them would have the same seats as my Golf R (R, GTI, AWD Manual Sportwagen).

The seats in the Sportwagen would be closer to the ones in my car than the GTI or Golf R from what I remember.