Author Topic: Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R  (Read 76525 times)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
Re: Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2015, 08:28:42 am »
Those look good for winters -- stealthy as you say
Will be interesting to hear how the run flats work out for you

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2015, 08:35:02 am »
So prior to purchasing the Golf R I was told by the owner and the sales person that they were going to treat Golf R owners a bit differently (as well as their Touareg owners).  Saying that we could request a loaner vehicle while ours was in for service.  This isn't such a big deal to me as I don't mind using shuttle and trying to get parking downtown after 8am is a crap shoot.  I also talked to the owner about how we were unimpressed with the service we got from Hyundai Fredericton.  He assured me that Fredericton VW was a cut above the rest (they all say this of course).

So expectations are highish based on discussions I had with the owner and other staff.

So I make the appointment to get my winter tires put on a couple of weeks ago.  Told them then that I'd drop it off when they open and pick it up after work.

There's a couple of things that I wanted done that I wouldn't trust them to do on their own.  One was to label my summer tires so in the spring they can be rotated accordingly.  The other was to make sure the rims don't rub on any of my brake calipers, as I was going from a 19" to 17" and from speaking with people on the forums not all 17's will fit right.  Now with these being VW rims I figured I should be fine but I wanted to make sure before driving on them, plus if they did rub I'd be asking for a different set of rims and tires.  The tech made a note on my work order and I told him I would be back at around 4 to pick up the vehicle and to call me if there are any issues.

So the day goes by and no telephone call so figured everything must be good.  Called them at around 3:30 to set up a pickup time for shuttle service and also to check on my car.  The tech tells me that they haven't looked at my vehicle yet but that it was the next one up.  I asked him why it hasn't been done yet when he knew I was coming at get it at 4.  He tells me that they were backed up from the day before or some BS, and apologizes for it not being done yet.  So I tell him to get the shuttle to come pick me up at 3:50 so I can be at the dealer for 4.

Now Fredericton VW has a deal right now that if you get your tires rotated or change over during month of October you get a complementary wash and alignment check, as well as a free VW toque. 

So I get there at 4, I see my car just coming down from the lift.  I go in and asked the tech if they labeled my summer tires and checked the clearance.  He assured me that it was done.  I paid for the service and asked for my free toque.  He couldn't close the account until the tech made the notes in the system.  It was 4:20 before I got my keys in hand.  The car wasn't washed, but the counter guy gave me an automated car wash from the gas station across the street.  The receipt for the car was expired but he told me if I told them I got it from the VW dealer they'd issue a new one.  Oh and I highly doubt they had enough time to check my alignment.  I was able to get the free car wash, which I used on the Santa Fe as the Golf needed to be scrubbed a bit harder in order to get the little bit of under coating off the side of the vehicle.  After getting home I inspected my brake calipers to make sure there wasn't any rubbing, which there wasn't thank goodness.  I also checked to make sure the summers were labeled, which they were.

The whole point of me picking up the vehicle at 4 was to avoid downtown traffic.  In the end it cost me an extra half hour of my time, plus another 20 minutes the next day for the car wash. 

I hate having to call the dealer at different times during the day to make sure my vehicle was being looked at.  It's something we always had to do with Hyundai and it bugs the shat out of me.  I shouldn't have to baby sit the service department in order to get my car done on time.

The dealer is big on surveys and I have one in my inbox to be completed with regards to the service I experienced.  My question for you guys is should I send the owner a email explaining my experience.  I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble, but I don't want to have to deal with this every time I get something done there either.  Am I over reacting, should I lower my expectations, or should I inform the owner of my experience (you should also note that I can't talk to my sales person as she's gone on to another job)?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:07:50 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2015, 09:13:28 am »
Personally, I think your expectations are slightly high and what you experienced may well have been a fluke. I've had my GTI in for service three times (last one was this Monday) and each time the service has been excellent and they called me as soon as the car was ready each time, well ahead of the end of the day. I wouldn't bother talking to the owner unless you continue to have problems.

So Shelby left?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2015, 09:23:28 am »
I agree with Oliver.

Next time just say you need the car ready an hour before you actually do need it.

This is also a crazy busy time for them so I'd cut them some slack.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2015, 09:31:22 am »
I'd fill out the survey and leave it.

The service experience sounds very similar to Clark Toyota. The best I've experienced so far is Fredericton Kia, though Riverview Ford is also pretty decent.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2015, 09:32:23 am »
Personally, I think your expectations are slightly high and what you experienced may well have been a fluke. I've had my GTI in for service three times (last one was this Monday) and each time the service has been excellent and they called me as soon as the car was ready each time, well ahead of the end of the day. I wouldn't bother talking to the owner unless you continue to have problems.

So Shelby left?

Well this is my first service, the owner talked about treating R owners a bit better, and he's already said for me to talk to him if I had any issues in the future (because I filled out a survey honestly after the sale of my vehicle).  Overall it's not a big deal, but I was rather upset that I was inconvenienced because they couldn't schedule their service department better.

It could be a fluke for sure, and it is a busy time of the year.  But this is my first experience with them and being an R owner I expected a bit better.  Plus what if there had been issues with the rims, I'm probably the first R owner to put their winter tires on here.  Sure it all worked out in the end (minus an extra hour of my time), but they might not be as lucky next time.

Yes Shelby's gone now to Crown Plaza Hotel.  Doing what, I have no idea.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:40:38 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2015, 09:37:27 am »
I'd fill out the survey and leave it.

The service experience sounds very similar to Clark Toyota. The best I've experienced so far is Fredericton Kia, though Riverview Ford is also pretty decent.

The thing is, the last time I filled out a survey the dealership got a call from head office asking why they scored so low from a Golf R owner.  I filled out the survey honestly and it yeilded a bad score.  If I fill out this survey honestly it'll probably end up being another bad score.  So there's a chance I'd get another call from the owner anyway.  At least this way I can address the issue with him personally.

Or I could just fill out the survey with good grades for everything, chalk this up as a fluke, and move forward hoping it doesn't happen again.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:47:37 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2015, 09:52:14 am »
Nothing wrong with expecting good service of course, but....and I don't mean to be a d!ck....why would a Golf R owner get such special treatment at a VW dealer?   It's a $40k car right?   Just like a VW CC, Eos, Touareg, Tiguan Highline, Passat Highline, etc....

This isn't exactly a case of Z06 owner having to "slum it" with the other Chev drivers :)

Anyway, surprised you went with the runflats.   Do you do a lot of driving far from urban centers in the winter?   In my experience, runflats drive awful and cost a ton.   In the unlikely event you actually got a flat, the cost of an emergency flatbed tow is much less than the cost delta to buy runflats.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2015, 09:58:40 am »
Nothing wrong with expecting good service of course, but....and I don't mean to be a d!ck....why would a Golf R owner get such special treatment at a VW dealer?   It's a $40k car right?   Just like a VW CC, Eos, Touareg, Tiguan Highline, Passat Highline, etc....

This isn't exactly a case of Z06 owner having to "slum it" with the other Chev drivers :)

Anyway, surprised you went with the runflats.   Do you do a lot of driving far from urban centers in the winter?   In my experience, runflats drive awful and cost a ton.   In the unlikely event you actually got a flat, the cost of an emergency flatbed tow is much less than the cost delta to buy runflats.

Especially with factory roadside assistance.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2015, 10:10:04 am »

The sad thing is, I don't expect special treatment.  I don't need a special waiting area, latte's, and loaner vehicles.  But I sure as fack expect my vehicle to be done right, on time, and with everything that I asked/paid to be done.  They missed out on two of those things (not done on time, and they didn't wash it or check the alignment I'm guessing).

These expectations were protrayed by the owner and the sales staff.  If they aren't going to live up to their hype, then they should adjust their wording accordingly.

I don't do much driving on back roads and will rarely venture outside the city with the R during the winter.  I figured the run flats would be about the same amount of harshness as the 19's low profile summer tires I drive on the other 6 months of the year.  As for the emergency flatbed tow and what not, I have road side assistance plus tire and rim protection.  So the replacement cost isn't an issue in the case of a flat (knock on wood I haven't had in my life).  I was just hesitant that the ride would be worse than summer tires, but so far it seems to be better and the noise is actually the same or better.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:14:30 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2015, 10:45:17 am »
if i were in your shoes, i would shoot the owner a short email explaining what you perceived as the short falls.

me personally, i can forgive them being 20 minutes late and not washing the thing (they made up for that with free car wash coupon at gas station. i would prefer this one anyway).

they fit the wheels, and marked the old tires, those are the important ones.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2015, 11:02:19 am »

They didn't leave a whole lot of room there if a problem did occur with the rims.  They knew a problem could have occured because I told them that at 7:30 in the morning, so you'd think they'd would give themselves enough time to address any issue that might happen.  No problem occured but there was a distinct possibility that it could have.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2015, 11:14:54 am »
Based on what I was reading, I had expected both of those things to not have been done properly.

I'm glad it worked out.  Don't sweat the small stuff :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2015, 11:32:40 am »
I'm a GOLF'R and I don't get no respect in my GOLF CART wtf!!!
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2015, 11:50:54 am »
Yeah, not a big deal, IMO. It's basically just putting winter wheels on a Golf - not sure why it should be some kind of top priority. The shop likely had other cars that were actually broken, with owners who would be without wheels if they didn't get fixed. That would be my priority, too.

And I don't think there's any such thing as just "checking the alignment." It takes time (i.e. money) to put the car up on the alignment rack and get it hooked up. It's not something they're going to do for free, just to have a look.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2015, 12:27:44 pm »
Be honest with the survey and leave it at that, the owner telling you better service was just paying you lip service.

Might be a good thing they didn't wash it, the high school co-op kid or automated wash can do more harm than good.

I'm interested in the Pirelli Ice Zero fr's. Let us know how they perform. I looked at them but decided on WS80's. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2015, 12:29:54 pm »
Last week I got her undercoated at Krown (along with the Santa Fe).

VW's come with a 12-yr rust warranty, and I was told that any rustproofing may void that warranty - did you check the fine print first? I did not, but the dealer pointed that out to me. It's one of the things that I like about VW, as I can't use any "running" undercoating because of our light-grey pavers.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2015, 12:44:46 pm »
I have to say, they did a pretty crap job washing my car the other day but it didn't really matter much because it was raining a few hours later anyways.

Offline Zorro

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 GTI & 2013 Elantra GT
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2015, 12:48:03 pm »
I don't think your expectations are high at all. I would expect 'better' service too if the owner said he would make sure it happened. That's his problem if he was just giving you lip service...score them accordingly and if that means a low score then so be it. Maybe next time the owner won't be running his mouth (to make sale) if he knows he will be called out.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #119 on: November 04, 2015, 12:55:28 pm »
Do the NEW VW's come with a refugee warrantee ??? :stick: