Author Topic: Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R  (Read 76488 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2015, 01:19:43 pm »
Last week I got her undercoated at Krown (along with the Santa Fe).

VW's come with a 12-yr rust warranty, and I was told that any rustproofing may void that warranty - did you check the fine print first? I did not, but the dealer pointed that out to me. It's one of the things that I like about VW, as I can't use any "running" undercoating because of our light-grey pavers.

I did not check.  I'm just used to doing it to all our vehicles.  Considering I plan on keeping the R for 4-5 years, I doubt I'll have any concerns with any of it.  Just figured it'll make it easier to sell and the next guy will appreciate knowing it'll have minimal rust.  I would think if the undercoating is done by a professional the warranty would be intact.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2015, 05:34:59 pm »

VW's come with a 12-yr rust warranty, and I was told that any rustproofing may void that warranty - did you check the fine print first? I did not, but the dealer pointed that out to me. It's one of the things that I like about VW, as I can't use any "running" undercoating because of our light-grey pavers.

I did not check.  I'm just used to doing it to all our vehicles.  Considering I plan on keeping the R for 4-5 years, I doubt I'll have any concerns with any of it.  Just figured it'll make it easier to sell and the next guy will appreciate knowing it'll have minimal rust.  I would think if the undercoating is done by a professional the warranty would be intact.

Was at a local German tuner car garage today.  New Golf R getting a downpipe, exhaust and a full tune.  Probably more parts too since there were several boxes.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2015, 07:39:48 pm »

Was at a local German tuner car garage today.  New Golf R getting a downpipe, exhaust and a full tune.  Probably more parts too since there were several boxes.

Probably getting a full APR setup.  It's tempting to do modes on mine but it's so good out of the box I can't justify risking warranty, the financial outlay for performance modes, the speeding tickets I'd be getting, and the ding you get at trade in/resale time.

That being said, what a great car to tune on.  People are getting over 380hp reliably and with little drawback in daily driving or fuel economy.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2015, 09:19:36 pm »

No, I was warned by the dealer as rustproofing is popular in QC. It was the same when I got a Passat in '01 - no rustproofing or undercoating allowed, warranty voided if you do. VWs have pretty good galvanized steel and the general structure / welds / caulking is well tought-out. I'm just pleased to avoid the goo!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2015, 10:07:56 pm »
Just go back to stock before selling. I did that with the WRX. Sold parts on WRX forums

My brother has been told that the ECU is set up to "remember" when it's been tweaked which means VW will void the warranty on the spot.  Not sure if it's a scare tactic from the dealership (though it came from a trusted friend who works as a tech at the dealership he got his car from), or the truth.  Either way, who wants to take a chance on having a turbocharged FGC without a warranty?   ;)
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2015, 10:19:29 pm »
Oh come on. Do you really think VW could write code that would remember.....oh wait.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2015, 11:33:46 pm »
Just go back to stock before selling. I did that with the WRX. Sold parts on WRX forums

My brother has been told that the ECU is set up to "remember" when it's been tweaked which means VW will void the warranty on the spot.  Not sure if it's a scare tactic from the dealership (though it came from a trusted friend who works as a tech at the dealership he got his car from), or the truth.  Either way, who wants to take a chance on having a turbocharged FGC without a warranty?   ;)

Info is correct.  Most manufacturers can see previous tunes. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2015, 07:53:52 am »

Info is correct.  Most manufacturers can see previous tunes.
Not quite.  It can't see the exact tune, but it sets off a flag that the ECU was reflashed with software not from the factory or manufacturer.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2015, 09:37:25 am »
Either way, an engine with a non stock tune stored in the ECU is not going to have a warranty.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2015, 10:59:58 am »
Either way, an engine with a non stock tune stored in the ECU is not going to have a warranty.
Yep.

One of the VW dealer here are real Nazis (bad joke intended) with anything aftermarket.  You put an intake or exhaust and they will deny any warranty claim.  A friend of mine had the infamous 1.8T coil pack failure and because he had an intake they denied his claim.  I mean how does an intake translate to a failure of a coil pack which is an electrical part?  Needless to say, he had so many other problems with the car that he got rid of it less than one year of ownership and bought a 2006 G35x which he still drives to this day.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:01:42 am by mixmanmash »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2015, 01:12:59 pm »
Most performance cars, especially anything with a turbo, is now able to see if you've altered the software at any point.  Subaru's STi might be one of the last that can be returned to stock without anyone the wiser, but I am not sure about that now.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
Johnny's 2016 VW Golf R
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2015, 01:36:51 pm »
I'd get the tune from one of the VW dealers that's also an APR dealer.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2015, 01:38:11 pm »

Does that retain warranty?  If so, that is the best option by far.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2015, 07:09:15 pm »

Warranty would be void on certain parts of the engine.  The dealer here is pretty mod friendly but if you mess with your car there's always a chance they might refuse to fix it under warranty.

There are cheats you can buy like a neuspeed power model that boosts turbo pressure without it being traceable.  You don't get the same amount of power boost but you are able to take it off and the dealer is none the wiser.

Personally I find my R is more than fast enough as is.  Maybe if I tracked my car I would have a bigger itch to mod.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 08, 2015, 09:14:37 am »

Warranty would be void on certain parts of the engine.  The dealer here is pretty mod friendly but if you mess with your car there's always a chance they might refuse to fix it under warranty.

There are cheats you can buy like a neuspeed power model that boosts turbo pressure without it being traceable.  You don't get the same amount of power boost but you are able to take it off and the dealer is none the wiser.

Personally I find my R is more than fast enough as is.  Maybe if I tracked my car I would have a bigger itch to mod.
I would be more concerned with using a mod like that which just increases boost pressure without altering the tune (fuel and ignition timing maps).  Sounds like a good recipe for an earth-shattering kaboom.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 08, 2015, 02:09:57 pm »
[/quote

I would be more concerned with using a mod like that which just increases boost pressure without altering the tune (fuel and ignition timing maps).  Sounds like a good recipe for an earth-shattering kaboom.

The boost in pressure is slight, we're talking maybe only a couple of psi.  It's only good for about 40hp max with the 93 octane setting, and around 30hp on the 91 setting.  There hasn't been any reports of booms.

I agree an actual tune would be better all around, but that'll be detected by a VW tech.

One thing is for sure, the next person who owns this R will do some upgrades and get something that is stock to begin with.  I know I would if I didn't have a warranty to worry about.

There's still a chance I keep it past warranty and go whole hog on the mods, new turbo, inter cooler, clutch, cold air intake, exhaust, and of course tune.  Not sure I'd do much to the suspension as I don't track, but maybe some upgraded front brakes.  But that's only if it's been trouble free, I still love it, and I don't have a huge itch for something new.  The chance of owning a super sleeper making over 400hp and under 4 second 0-60 time is very appealing.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2015, 04:52:45 pm »
[/quote

The boost in pressure is slight, we're talking maybe only a couple of psi.  It's only good for about 40hp max with the 93 octane setting, and around 30hp on the 91 setting.  There hasn't been any reports of booms.

I agree an actual tune would be better all around, but that'll be detected by a VW tech.

One thing is for sure, the next person who owns this R will do some upgrades and get something that is stock to begin with.  I know I would if I didn't have a warranty to worry about.

There's still a chance I keep it past warranty and go whole hog on the mods, new turbo, inter cooler, clutch, cold air intake, exhaust, and of course tune.  Not sure I'd do much to the suspension as I don't track, but maybe some upgraded front brakes.  But that's only if it's been trouble free, I still love it, and I don't have a huge itch for something new.  The chance of owning a super sleeper making over 400hp and under 4 second 0-60 time is very appealing.
It only takes a couple of psi.  I read up on the module and it's a hack.  Definitely something I would never recommend using.  It messes with the MAP and boost sensor signals to the ECU.  That affects not just fuel delivery, but timing and unpredictably. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2015, 11:39:39 am »
What wheels are those? They look great.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2015, 11:58:58 am »
They are VW Spec Tronics, the same seen here.  I wasn't sure at first if they did the car justice, but for the winter they will work well.  The tires are Blizzak WS-80's which grip better than I was expecting, frankly.
The WS80s are awesome.  I have them on my Odyssey.  Last winter, with freezing rain turning the parking lot at work into ice, I tested them by coming to a stop on the incline out of the lot.  Had no problems starting on ice and moving up the incline.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2015, 02:47:53 pm »
I got the snows on 17's (vs the stock wider 19's).  It is officially a complete sleeper.

Thanks Johnny for the PM responses - loving the car thus far.
Your R is looking gooooood.  That color is so different than most blues you see on cars right now.  I think you need to tint those rear windows though.  Loving those rims and definitely a great choice of winter tire.

If you think those grip well just wait till you get those summers back on and have a warm road to work with.  I found the grip on those exceptional.

I'm glad I could help and answer a couple of your questions.