Author Topic: First Person Driver: Distracted Driving  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Person Driver: Distracted Driving
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:28:39 am »

In which Andy texts while driving... for science!
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: First Person Driver: Distracted Driving
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:21:04 am »
Yet another reason why I'm voting for Andy as top 5 journalists of the year!!!  Excellent read, Sir!

Well, what about a rental car? Do you sit in the agency lot to read up on how to put up the roof of your shiny MX-5, or do you rush off to your destination as soon as you’ve got the top down and the mirrors adjusted?
I actually did do this when I rented cars every week to drive from Windsor to Guelph/Toronto - I would sit in Discount or Enterprise's lot for ~10mins to adjust everything, set radio pre-sets, and figure out controls.  All of my luggage would be in the trunk with nothing in the cabin other than a water bottle for the 3-4 hr drive.

Yet car manufacturers now are making cars that much more involved with smartphones.  It's bad enough for the ones that have built-in Navi, but cars that are smartphone-based (i.e. REQUIRE a smartphone to have certain functions) are just plain wrong, IMO.  Bossman loves his internet-connected P85D.  "hey, want to hear songs by the Foo Fighters?"  [pushes button on steering wheel]: "play songs by Foo Fighters".  Tesla: "climate control changed to 21 degrees".  "ugh", [pushes button]: "PLAY. SONGS. BY. THE. FOO FIGHTERS!"  Tesla: "searching for songs by the Foot Fighters...no songs found."  [pushes button]: "FOO FIGHTERS, GODDAMN IT!"  "playing songs by the Foo Fighters."

The ordeal takes well over a minute where he's focusing on the 17" iPad instead of the road.  No incidents come of it, but he's driving 691hp of batteries in downtown traffic while poking at it.

Though the emphasis in the media is on smartphones and texting, distractions come in all forms.
I think this is the take-home message, though.  How true it is, that some topless woman walks by and you are forced to look in the other direction because no attractive woman would walk topless (I kid...), or "your destination is ahead, on the left."  Um, I don't see it - I'll just drive slowly and look for a sign.  Eating, drinking, putting on facking makeup - I often saw over the past year at the Queenston/Lewiston Border crossing many, many women putting on nail polish.  I mean, seriously?!  I saw one guy completely change his shirt (over-the-head to button-down) while waiting in queue.

The problem is, sh!t like Spongebob have made us all a little A.D.D.  Marketing folks have always sought out drivers' attentions using billboards, etc.  Cellphones have become new appendages, and people have actual anxiety if they are separated from their phones (or travel and are without data connectivity).

Texting is bad enough, but web surfing is much worse.  Inputting directions, checking traffic, or reading twitter news headlines.  Waze social app requires one to break the law in order to contribute.

All in all, we're facked.  Thanks, technology ;D

Insurance companies are acutely aware of the change in drivers’ habits, and it’s why they run these events: to increase awareness amongst drivers and passengers alike about the hidden risks and challenges associated with using technologies such as lane-keeping assist, radar-controlled cruise, and, of course, smartphones.
While I love reading Andy's articles, I have a bad feeling that the "read count" on this article and those written by any others who attended this event will be...well...not a large percentage.

It'd be nice/smart if an event like this were a part of mandatory driver training, but considering that no form of driver's training is mandatory, that seems like an unlikely wish.  Shame - it could save insurance companies millions instead of denying claims from those who are legitimately injured.

By the way, State Farm is one of the worst offending insurance companies as far as denying claims without reason to do so.  It has now been acquired by Desjardins insurance, which is even worse.  I can't give my recommendations about with whom to choose your insurance, but consumers should be mindful of their insurer's policies about deny-first, fight, settle for 20 cents on the dollar, and the like.

Northernridge

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:55:16 am »
A Winnipeg woman was sentenced to two years in jail yesterday for a collision that killed 2 young woman, seriously injured a third and traumatized the other 2 that were in the car at the time (there were 5 occupants in the car she hit). Of course she was unhurt.

The woman was 17 at the time and speeding, texting, drunk and ran a red light to broadside the car. Prosecutors asked for an adult sentence and 5-years in jail. Judge said nope and sentenced her as a minor to 2...which protects her identity (she's 21 now). Families of the victims are livid.

The young lady showed no remorse after the collision and expressed frustration that she might be ordered to not drink on her upcoming 18th birthday and inquired about how soon she could get her license back – at the accident scene.

What's the moral or the story? Not really sure but if you ever need to kill someone get drunk, start texting and then run them down.

Offline ALin

• Administrator
  • Carma: +16/-24
  • WordPress Goon
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1996 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 12:33:30 pm »
I have a bad feeling that the "read count" on this article and those written by any others who attended this event will be...well...not a large percentage.

Nope, the people who actually need to read this will be too busy texting. :P

What's the moral or the story? Not really sure but if you ever need to kill someone get drunk, start texting and then run them down.

There's a common anecdote in Taiwan about how a cement truck driver ran over someone and then backed up just to make sure the person was dead, since they'd rather face a civil suit and/or jail time rather than pay for the medical bills. The law doesn't always work the way you expect it to. Man, vehicular manslaughter is morbid.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:51:13 pm »
There's a common anecdote in Taiwan about how a cement truck driver ran over someone and then backed up just to make sure the person was dead, since they'd rather face a civil suit and/or jail time rather than pay for the medical bills. The law doesn't always work the way you expect it to. Man, vehicular manslaughter is morbid.
In Canada, if you have insurance, you're better off not killing the person - no criminal charges, and all civil awards will be indemnified by your insurer (well, up to your policy limit, which is seldom exceeded).

;D

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 12:54:12 pm »
I sent this to my friend, she said she read it on her way to work this morning....

She drives to work.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 01:33:56 pm »
I sent this to my friend, she said she read it on her way to work this morning....

She drives to work.

:rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 01:34:06 pm »

She drives to work.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 06:18:07 pm »

She drives to work.

Buck Murdock: Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken