Author Topic: Auto Tech: Chevrolet Powertrain Development  (Read 6947 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Chevrolet Powertrain Development
« on: July 07, 2015, 06:41:14 am »

The future of Chevy?
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Auto Tech: Chevrolet Powertrain Development
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:30:58 pm »
But from a purely fuel economy perspective, you can see that hybrids and “extended range” vehicles like the Volt are not delivering really low fuel consumption numbers (actually, I’ve seen 20 percent better than the Volt from a Volkswagen Passat Diesel, and even Chevy’s Cruze Diesel can do better). So if you want “killer” fuel economy, you’ve got to go electric.
I'm not sure if you're going for a different point, but I think you're missing the purpose of the Volt (or at least your article doesn't suggest it).

TYPICALLY (not absolute), Hybrids will work better in city driving, Diesels on highway jaunts, and range-extended hybrids will be the best available solution, ASSUMING YOU HAVE ACCESS TO CHEAP/FREE ELECTRICITY AT YOUR DISPOSAL.

5.7L/100km is the consumption IF the battery in the Volt is depleted (well, with its reserve always there...).  So, while I'm sure you saw better in diesels on the highways in varying conditions, etc., the Voltec powertrain is pure genius and should be the 'way of the future' for certain applications.

If there was one and only one "true" best way forward, there would not be such variety.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 01:51:36 pm »
But from a purely fuel economy perspective, you can see that hybrids and “extended range” vehicles like the Volt are not delivering really low fuel consumption numbers (actually, I’ve seen 20 percent better than the Volt from a Volkswagen Passat Diesel, and even Chevy’s Cruze Diesel can do better). So if you want “killer” fuel economy, you’ve got to go electric.
I'm not sure if you're going for a different point, but I think you're missing the purpose of the Volt (or at least your article doesn't suggest it).

TYPICALLY (not absolute), Hybrids will work better in city driving, Diesels on highway jaunts, and range-extended hybrids will be the best available solution, ASSUMING YOU HAVE ACCESS TO CHEAP/FREE ELECTRICITY AT YOUR DISPOSAL.

5.7L/100km is the consumption IF the battery in the Volt is depleted (well, with its reserve always there...).  So, while I'm sure you saw better in diesels on the highways in varying conditions, etc., the Voltec powertrain is pure genius and should be the 'way of the future' for certain applications.

If there was one and only one "true" best way forward, there would not be such variety.

Somewhat agree.  What I think they should do is decouple the ICE from the car.  Put the ICE which is being used as a generator into a small trailer.  When you are travelling long distances, hook up the trailer.  In town, leave the trailer behind.  Or set it up where you don't buy the trailer with ICE, but you rent it whenever you need to go a long distance.  Use the space / weight savings from not having the ICE on-board to extending the all-electric range.  Done.  In fact, it may be a good application for using a Diesel engine.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:48:19 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 02:05:34 pm »
I like the Volt powertrain - the extended range feature is fantastic. If I was after another hybrid I would get the Volt (if it was slightly bigger and slightly more luxurious).
...personally, if I could get a Crosstrek with the ELR's powertrain (well, once updated)...I'd pay $30k for it and call it the perfect beater vehicle ;)

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 03:49:40 pm »
Overall a pretty good article:

A few things to note the Ontario EV rebate is $8500 for the 2015 Volt and will be for the all new 2016 Volt as well.  (2012 - 2014 Volts were $8231). GM keeps increasing the battery capacity every couple of years.

Quebec is $8000 and BC is $5000 but could be higher if trading in an older car.

The Bolt will actually be called the "Bolt EV".  Edit: GM has 55 production mules already running and they are already exceeding 200 miles of EV range.

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-55-pre-production-cars-exceeding-200-miles-range/

In my Volt my lifetime fuel economy has been 2.08L/100kms (total gas used / total millage).   I've so far gone the last three weeks without using a drop of gas (~800kms).

Also the Volt is not a pure series hybrid and does not charge the battery.  The engine comes on when the battery is at a ~30% state of charge.  The engine works to maintain this state of charge level and the battery acts as a buffer.  Using power from the battery for maximum acceleration but still storing energy under regen.   Most power from the generator goes direct to the main drive motor to bypass charging losses.  Only peaks and swells in power demand involve the battery.

The Volt can switch from a series to a parallel hybrid depending on driving conditions.  The Gen I Volt has four driving modes the Gen II Volt will have five driving modes (two electric and three gas modes) to maximize efficiency.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:53:55 pm by Neromanceres »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 03:51:35 pm »
Overall a pretty good article:

A few things to note the Ontario EV rebate is $8500 for the 2015 Volt and will be for the all new 2016 Volt as well.  (2012 - 2014 Volts were $8231). GM keeps increasing the battery capacity every couple of years.

Quebec is $8000 and BC is $5000 but could be higher if trading in an older car.

The Bolt will actually be called the "Bolt EV"

In my Volt my lifetime fuel economy has be 2.08L/100kms (total gas used / total millage).   I've so far gone the last three weeks without using a drop of gas (~800kms).

Also the Volt is not a pure series hybrid and does not charge the battery.  The engine comes on when the battery is at a ~30% state of charge.  The engine works to maintain this state of charge level and the battery acts as a buffer.  Using power from the battery for maximum acceleration but still storing energy under regen.   Most power from the generator goes direct to the main drive motor to bypass charging losses.  Only peaks and swells in power demand involve the battery.

The Volt can switch from a series to a parallel hybrid depending on driving conditions.  The Gen I Volt has four driving modes the Gen II Volt will have five driving modes (two electric and three gas modes) to maximize efficiency.
Thanks for that explanation!  :)

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 08:29:14 pm »
Pretty good summary of GM drivetrain tech.

Wonder when GM will upgrade its advertising from moronic to normal to take advantage. From what I see, GM customers are portrayed as clueless, being unable to recognize Buicks, think interiors are on par with upscale foreign cars, or think that making Silverados out of tin puts them one-up technologically over the F150. No doubt there are folks with empty brain cavities like that wandering around, but they hardly ever see these ads, and wouldn't recognize themselves if they did.

That just leaves the rest of us to wonder - what are they thinking? GM has very good powertrains on the whole, but suits at the top run ads from some strange place where reality is unknown and their vehicular strengths aren't emphasized in a real way. No wonder FCA and Ford outsell them here in Canada.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 08:39:22 pm »
For reference, which city/region do you live in?

KW/Waterloo Region so a bit milder in winter than Ottawa . 

However, it's inconceivable that Ontario will continue with subsidising electric vehicles after 2018. 

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 11:18:18 pm »
For reference, which city/region do you live in?

Region of Waterloo, Ontario as ArcticSteve pointed out.

However, it's inconceivable that Ontario will continue with subsidising electric vehicles after 2018.

Under the original plan current EV subsidies are supposed to run out in Ontario when 10,000 have been awarded. As of June 1, 2015 only 3,414 rebates have been awarded.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/index.shtml

However the Ontario Government just today at the climate summit in Toronto announced that transportation electrification would be an important part of reducing the provinces emissions (as the grid in Ontario is a very low emitter).  So the provincial government might have something else planned as well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:46:59 pm by Neromanceres »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 12:52:48 am »
So the provincial government might have something else planned as well.
the first thing they should do is balance the budget and pay down the debt...the last thing we should be doing is giving people $8500 towards a $50k car.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 11:18:22 am »
the first thing they should do is balance the budget and pay down the debt...the last thing we should be doing is giving people $8500 towards a $50k car.
Yeah, $29M so far, with $85M available...that's a lot of money to subsidize.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 06:11:58 pm »

First the rebate is applied after HST.  So on a $100K Model S for example the government is still taking in $4500.  On a $40K Volt the government is putting out $3300 after taxes.

Second not all cars qualify for the $8500.  Only cars with a battery bigger than 17KWh.  The rebate ranges from $5K to $8.5K. Car must have a battery bigger than 4KWh to qualify and must be new and never titled with less than 2000 kms on it.

So the program doesn't cost as much as people think.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 06:35:27 pm »

I like the Volt powertrain - the extended range feature is fantastic. If I was after another hybrid I would get the Volt (if it was slightly bigger and slightly more luxurious).

Some food for thoughts, respectively Oct '14 & January '15 some interesting stuff to read.

http://articles.sae.org/13666/
http://articles.sae.org/13831/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 06:44:13 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...