Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 versus 2015 Lexus GS 350 AWD  (Read 44097 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Comparison Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 versus 2015 Lexus GS 350 AWD
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2015, 12:47:09 am »
Not true.  Most every Lexus dealership has the level of customer service I describe.  Some even have more.  All of GM?  Not so much.  And it's a joke you even hint at it.
not a joke at all...and i never said "all GM dealerships" were like that, so don't bother arguing a point i never made...as i said, you don't have to have a Lexus banner on your business to offer great service, you just need to offer it...some dealerships do, others don't...like everything in life, YMMV.

and i've been to our local Lexus dealership a couple of times...they are really nice there, and i think that is an important thing...but that niceness isn't exclusive to Lexus.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2015, 12:56:32 am »
Not true.  Most every Lexus dealership has the level of customer service I describe.  Some even have more.  All of GM?  Not so much.  And it's a joke you even hint at it.
not a joke at all...and i never said "all GM dealerships" were like that, so don't bother arguing a point i never made...as i said, you don't have to have a Lexus banner on your business to offer great service, you just need to offer it...some dealerships do, others don't...like everything in life, YMMV.

and i've been to our local Lexus dealership a couple of times...they are really nice there, and i think that is an important thing...but that niceness isn't exclusive to Lexus.

It's not exclusive to Lexus.  But is usually found at luxury dealerships.  Of which GM is decidedly not.  Although I could envision some new Cadillac dealership moving this way..what with the move of HQ to NY and the whole lifestyle thing they are trying to spin.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2015, 07:56:18 am »
I was treated like God at the Porsche dealership. It has been over a year since my wife and I test drove a few Boxsters and I still get invitations to VIP events at 100% their cost.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1231
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2015, 08:00:04 am »
I was treated like God at the Porsche dealership. It has been over a year since my wife and I test drove a few Boxsters and I still get invitations to VIP events at 100% their cost.

I've been to Lexus a few times to look at, test drive cars and I have to say the dealer is absolutely first class, the best I've seen.

Northernridge

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2015, 10:29:55 am »

Me too. Best sales experience I've ever had...especially for not buying anything. Ditto on the ongoing invitations.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2015, 11:13:09 am »
Every other dealer tosses you the key and you go find it in their maze.
Northtown Lexus in Buffalo, NY puts a little RFID tag on the rear of your rearview mirror, which gives them the price location over its entire property of your car at all times.  You can view it in real time with their App, which I found kinda neat.

The big part for me, unlike the Subaru dealerships  lately >:(, is that Lexus actually does the work they charge you for (I'm referring to the fact that I paid for brakes and air/engine oil filters to be replaced and none of the work was done until I found out the hard way a year later - still livid).

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2015, 12:54:33 pm »
also, that level of service you describe isn't completely exclusive to Lexus...one of the new GM dealerships they recently built (MacMaster Chevrolet moved to a new location and a new building) has much of what you describe...so, as i said, it is really more about the dealership, than the fact it's a Lexus.

http://www.macmasterchev.ca/virtual-tour/

So you are comparing the whole BRAND to a SINGLE new dealership? Lamo. Give that dealer a year and see if they are able to maintain the same level of customer service, or if they go under, well, because GM  ::)

Come to think of it. Merc does have an enclosed and heated service drive-in box that takes you straight to the service reception. Someone immediately comes over and places a protective cover on your seat. I thought that was nice, especially in -35 outside, and Honda does not offer that.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2015, 01:30:12 pm »
1. E-Class - 1268 (22,252)
2. Genesis Sedan - 681 (17,270 - includes coupe)
3. 5-series - 677 (23,581)
4. A6 - 363 (11,409)
5. CTS - 319 (9,689)
6. GS - 172 (11,142)
7. Q70 - 97 (4,484)
8. RLX - 88 (1,200)
Just pointing out:
E-Class encompasses the E-Sedan, E-Coupe, E-Cabriolet, and E-Wagon.  Those, plus the diesels and the availability of AWD. Sure, but what % sales are the wagon, coupe, and cabrio? Probably not a lot. Also, the A6 and 5-series both have AWD and diesel options. AWD is available accross the board

Genesis Sedan and Coupe.Not the Canada numbers - for those the coupe was tracked separately
5-Series Sedan only.
A6 Sedan only.
CTS Sedan, Coupe, and defunct Wagon.
GS Sedan only.
Q70 Sedan only.
Poor RLX, I won't pick on it.  Wee little lamb.

Perhaps therein lies the 'massive' difference between 1,268 units sold, and the rest of the 'big' players being about half that amount?

Even taking the other models into account, there is still a pretty big gap between M-B, BMW, Hyundai and everyone else. In Canada, it looks like we prefer the M-B, whereas the Yanks enjoy the 5-series. The proviso here in my mind is how many of those Genesis models are the base 3.8L models that compete more with well optioned Avalons and 300s.

So you are comparing the whole BRAND to a SINGLE new dealership? Lamo. Give that dealer a year and see if they are able to maintain the same level of customer service, or if they go under, well, because GM  ::)

The worst dealership experiences I've had were both Toyota dealers. In both cases, I was looking at a new car, and in both cases, did not buy. The second time was particularly pathetic. Basically, buddy wouldn't give me a trade in value or final price of the car until I agreed to buy the thing. Because he felt I was going to shop his number..

The best experience was a - gasp - GM dealer! Reid Brothers in Arnprior... Treated my wife and I with respect, got us loaners when needed, secured work to be done under warranty after coverage would normally have expired. Of course, they have only been in business since 1954, so I'm sure they'll be going under any day now.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2015, 01:32:26 pm »
also, that level of service you describe isn't completely exclusive to Lexus...one of the new GM dealerships they recently built (MacMaster Chevrolet moved to a new location and a new building) has much of what you describe...so, as i said, it is really more about the dealership, than the fact it's a Lexus.

Come to think of it. Merc does have an enclosed and heated service drive-in box that takes you straight to the service reception. Someone immediately comes over and places a protective cover on your seat. I thought that was nice, especially in -35 outside, and Honda does not offer that.
Lexus does.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2015, 01:37:53 pm »

Lexus does.

My VW dealer has the same. Last Honda dealer did, too.

And my GM dealer has it also, but they don't use it. The area where you would drive in is always piled up with tires and stuff, so you have to park outside and walk in.  :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2015, 05:07:07 pm »

no, i never said that...again, don't argue points i never made.

my point, again (seeing as some people have reading comprehension issues) is that good service isn't exclusive to having a Lexus (or Porsche or whatever) banner...any dealership can offer it, and many do.

FWIW, my boss had crappy service at the MB dealership when he took his SLK AMG in for service...when he replaced his Jag, he ended up in the Audi dealership (where he bought the RS5 Convertible) because he said he wouldn't go back to the MB dealer again because of the poor service...he ended up taking his MB to another local performance place to get service done, and actually ended up buying a Porsche from there as well.

now, the MB dealership is brand new, with lots of glass, and fancy coffee etc, but they still provided a less than stellar customer experience to my boss, and it not only cost them the continued service on the MB car he bought, but quite possibly subsequent car purchases as well.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/''/5+Southdale+Rd+E,+London,+ON+N6C+6B4/@42.940898,-81.255873,3a,75y,164.54h,88.99t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTx9iug4wLMgbDVypacWf2g!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DTx9iug4wLMgbDVypacWf2g%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D100%26h%3D80%26yaw%3D129.01836%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x882ef16136be20f3:0xadf0c787cf7fe5e9!2m2!1d-81.2569833!2d42.9407914

Offline bd2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 3 Series
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2015, 07:04:36 pm »
It really looks like people want either the cachet of the BMW/M-B, or the value of the Genesis, in both Canada and the US. The Lexus, along with the Audi and Cadillac, form a second tier. One also wonders how many people choose the ES, or loaded Avalons and 300s as an alternative.

Interesting as I think I'd lean to the GS (smart) or the A6 (splurge) in this class of the current offerings.

I've always favored the 5 series in this class historically, but with no manual transmission on offer anymore, I can't see taking the plunge on the FGC.   

The Hyundai is a heck of value, but I'd spend a bit more just for the peace of mind of Lexus quality (perceived or not).

Agree 100% plus Lexus is a Japanese luxury brand while the Gensesis is struggling with identity because it is a mainstream brand regardless of how good it the car is. Hyundai desperately needs a luxury brand.

Lexus, Infiniti and Acura are all essentially separate sales channels for Toyota, Nissan and Honda.

It wasn't until the 3rd gen LS that Toyota launched the Lexus brand in Japan and even then, the previous gen RX was still sold as the Toyota Harrier until 2013.

Toyota has a separate lineup of luxury sedans in Japan, including the flagship Toyota Century and the Crown Majesta (which shares its platform with the GS, but is more luxurious).

The Infiniti and Acura models that are available in Japan are sold as Nissans and Hondas.

Both in Japan and Korea, these luxury models are basically their own sub-brands (which is why the Genesis sedan, along with the Equus, Century, Crown Majesta, etc. - have their own special badging).

If Hyundai believed there was a business case for a separate luxury brand and dealer stream I'm sure they'd pursue it.  Hardly seems worth it to me with all of two models available (excluding the why-does-this-even-exist-anymore Equus).  They are likely never going to appeal to the badgewhores anyway.  I think they're okay with that. I know I am.

There is no business case for it yet with only 3 low volume models.

Hyundai may very well eventually go sub-brand or full separate brand route but they would need to expand their lineup 1st (at the minimum entry-level/compact sedan and a couple of crossovers).

On a side note, I do believe that apart from size, the GS offers nothing in terms of luxury or performance over the IS, which is breaking sales records.  The GS is just not special enough (although I think it looks vastly better than the IS).  Similar relationship between the 3 series and the 5.

Oh, you couldn't be more wrong. It is most definitely a step above in luxury.

I may need to sit in them again.  I really didn't sense a $15K uptick in luxury but it was a while ago.  I just remember thinking that there was no way that the GS is worth $70K from the perspective of luxury and that the IS interior was nicer.

The GS is considerably more spacious inside...you can almost lounge in there

No question about that.  But does more space equate to more luxury?

Generally yes - luxury has traditionally meant not compromising on power, quality of materials, amenities and space (hence, Rolls and Bentley not offering compact sedans) and why luxury had meant RWD (with FWD-based models using AWD as a substitute).

So, there's a $20k SRP difference between these two cars. I wonder how the margins compare and, if they are about the same, what (if any) material differences has Lexus built in to the GS for the extra $20k. Or the inverse, what has Hyundai left out (if anything)?

Cynics will say 'marketing' but the GS didn't cost $20k more than the Genesis to promote. Is there $20k in additional value in materials...technology...features...R&D?

Could it be efficiency...has Hyundai figured out how to build the same car as Lexus for $20k less...and learned how in a fraction of the time? Maybe, but it would seem un-Toyota-like for Lexus to be that bad at manufacturing.

Again, if the margins are about the same and the Lexus costs $20k more, where'd the money go?

People sometimes say that you get what you pay for...does it hold true here?

Canada isn't the greatest market in which to make the assessment since it is too small (esp. for larger luxury models).

The US market gives a better example.

Basically, the Genesis sedan starts about $7-8k lower than the GS and Q70.

If Hyundai had launched a separate luxury brand in the US, it would have had to add about that much to the price of the Genesis (in Korea, the GS can be had for less than the Genesis, in part to the valuation of the Yen and in part to the Genesis being more expensive in Korea due to cutting amenities for the US market).

The remainder is the Genesis not having quite as nice an interior as the GS/Q70 (i.e. - painted plastic door releases) and Hyundai eschewing the use of aluminum to keep costs down.

Hyundai does also have certain other efficiencies such as an ownership stake in a high tech steel plant (which is why they have eschewed the use of aluminum in favor of ultra-tensile steel - which has played a role in the Genesis getting the top score in Australia's ANCAP crash assessment.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:23:00 pm by bd2 »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »
I wonder what the dealership experience is actually like in some of the up-market Hyundai dealerships.  Burlington Hyundai is going through a big expansion right now, and the Oakville dealership is one of the few Equus dealerships around.  Maybe you can make appointments on line?  Maybe you can drive your car into the service area to prevent getting fancy hair-dos wet in the rain?  Maybe they have nice coffee and leather couches?  Maybe they're polite to their customers? 

Surely the best Hyundai dealership experiences wouldn't be like the truly lavish Lexus experience Rrocket described, but maybe it's pretty darn good -- good enough to appease most people's wants?   That said, the St.Catharines Lexus dealership offers a service where they come, pick up your car from your driveway, take it for service and return it when it's done -- even if you're as far away as Hamilton -- that's pretty sweet service and negates the need for a barista.   ;D

What are the Lexus service intervals these days?  For all the hullaballoo about Lexuses never needing dealership visits, if maintained by the book, most probably spend far more time at the dealership then the FGCs, no?   Plus, most of what's been described by Wing and Rrocket at Lexus is the same treatment I always received at BMW except that at BMW, you can also omit the part of paying the bill for the first 4 years which is nicer than any barista service.   But I digress...

So... paying for a lavish dealership experience is a nice perk of the Lexus brand.  Worth ~$15k more?  I guess it depends on the buyer, but doesn't necessarily reflect a *need* for a fancy name or badge which is all I was questioning Snowy about.  When you buy a Lincoln or Caddy, you still need to line up with the "lowly" Fiesta and Aveo buyers for service.  So Hyundai needs a fancy badge and brand for those who need that for image purposes, and a high-end dealer service to rightly charge as much as Lexus?   

:stick:
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline bd2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 3 Series
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2015, 07:26:02 pm »
^ If that kind of thing is important, many of the higher-end Hyundai dealerships in the US which sell the the Equus have a separate customer lounge for Genesis/Equus owners with Equus owners not even have to use said lounge as they have the option of concierge service (of course, such a thing is priced into the price of the Equus).

I'm a badge whore...sad but true. Can't imagine myself dumping 50k in a Hyundai.

For those of you discussing sales numbers...I'd bet Hyundai is catering to a very different audience. Lexus is picky with credit while Hyundai will happily finance you a Genesis in 96m @2.49% and most people will be able to get approved - subprime loans....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badge-whoredom is exactly why Lexus sells mostly tarted-up FWD Toyotas (putting aside that all Lexus models are really Toyotas) and why Lexus has struggled to compete against BMW and MB in sales with regard to RWD models, in particular, the GS.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 07:31:46 pm by bd2 »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2015, 02:11:39 am »
I haven't been in the newer GS though but driven a 1999 and 2001 GS400s and they were excellent.

I did drive the current Genesis sedan and it was a great car. I was definitely impressed.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2015, 03:59:34 am »

So... paying for a lavish dealership experience is a nice perk of the Lexus brand.  Worth ~$15k more?  I guess it depends on the buyer, but doesn't necessarily reflect a *need* for a fancy name or badge which is all I was questioning Snowy about.  When you buy a Lincoln or Caddy, you still need to line up with the "lowly" Fiesta and Aveo buyers for service.  So Hyundai needs a fancy badge and brand for those who need that for image purposes, and a high-end dealer service to rightly charge as much as Lexus?   

Hyundai needs quality and reliability on par with Lexus to charge like Lexus.

Again..you people who are focused solely on "is the dealer experience worth $15k" are missing the point.  That's merely an additional perk.  Nobody pays $15k for dealer experience.  Nobody.  Especially with the brand that is statistically the least likely to ever even visit a dealer beyond regular maintenance.

The questions should be: Is the superior reliability, quality and dealer experience of Lexus worth $15K more than a Hyundai?  If you plan on owning the car longer than the warranty period it very well may be.  We have in excess ~1.25 million KMs on the various Lexus we've owned.  And only ONCE did any of the cars require a visit for a non-maintenance item.  And that was the valve stem recall on my 2006 IS350.  In addition, Lexus wear very, very well.  Jeff and Bob are hardcore car guys.  They know cars.  When they saw my IS350, I asked them what they thought the mileage was.  They guessed around 50K.  It had almost 190K on it.  Will the interior in a Genesis hold up as well at 190K?  What about at 425K like the near immaculate interior in my GS400?  Somehow I doubt it.  IMO, few cars wear as well.  How much is that worth to you?   

I like the previous gen 5.0R  A lot.  I'd have no problem buying one over a GS350, mainly because of the V8.  Lexus let me down when they dropped the V8.  So any car with a V8 gets BIG bonus points from me.  And 429 worth in the Genesis is mighty tempting.  But long term or high KM ownership would certainly give me pause.  In that regard, I just don't think they're up to par with Lexus.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2015, 10:02:44 am »

Hyundai needs quality and reliability on par with Lexus to charge like Lexus.

Again..you people who are focused solely on "is the dealer experience worth $15k" are missing the point.  That's merely an additional perk.  Nobody pays $15k for dealer experience.  Nobody.  Especially with the brand that is statistically the least likely to ever even visit a dealer beyond regular maintenance.

The questions should be: Is the superior reliability, quality and dealer experience of Lexus worth $15K more than a Hyundai?  If you plan on owning the car longer than the warranty period it very well may be.  We have in excess ~1.25 million KMs on the various Lexus we've owned.  And only ONCE did any of the cars require a visit for a non-maintenance item.  And that was the valve stem recall on my 2006 IS350.  In addition, Lexus wear very, very well.  Jeff and Bob are hardcore car guys.  They know cars.  When they saw my IS350, I asked them what they thought the mileage was.  They guessed around 50K.  It had almost 190K on it.  Will the interior in a Genesis hold up as well at 190K?  What about at 425K like the near immaculate interior in my GS400?  Somehow I doubt it.  IMO, few cars wear as well.  How much is that worth to you?   

I like the previous gen 5.0R  A lot.  I'd have no problem buying one over a GS350, mainly because of the V8.  Lexus let me down when they dropped the V8.  So any car with a V8 gets BIG bonus points from me.  And 429 worth in the Genesis is mighty tempting.  But long term or high KM ownership would certainly give me pause.  In that regard, I just don't think they're up to par with Lexus.
Only one way to find out.  Buy a Genesis and report back 200k kms later.  :)

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2015, 12:33:45 pm »
The local Hyundai dealer is such a scummy operation that I wouldn't buy an Accent from them, much less one of these. I cannot imagine that the sleazeballs there suddenly disappear when a Genesis pulls up.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »
Welcome back Greg. We have missed your delusional ratings  :hello:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2015, 03:50:24 pm »
Welcome back Greg. We have missed your delusional ratings  :hello:

We sure did! At least I'll admit that I did.