Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 versus 2015 Lexus GS 350 AWD  (Read 44087 times)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Lexus Service example:  http://www.lexussouthpointe.com/page/13/The-Ultimate-Lexus-World.html

Basically, they have all these services inside of their dealership while you wait.  I found it amusing at the Edmonton Motor Show a few years ago when the sales staff talked more about what their dealership offered rather than the Lexus product.

I'm sure you pay for this one way or another.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
In my case the Mercedes service experience was a detractor and so I chose the Berlin taxi in spite of dealer service rather than because of it.

perhaps they will improve their services when they move to the new facilities...I am strongly considering MB now that I will have a dealer less than 10min away from home.

Northernridge

In my case the Mercedes service experience was a detractor and so I chose the Berlin taxi in spite of dealer service rather than because of it.

perhaps they will improve their services when they move to the new facilities...I am strongly considering MB now that I will have a dealer less than 10min away from home.

I wouldn't bet on improved service as long as the ownership stays the same with an absence of local competition. It's not that they're terrible just inferior to the local Honda stores (birchwood and crown).

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
MB service inferior to Honda. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
1. E-Class - 1268 (22,252)
2. Genesis Sedan - 681 (17,270 - includes coupe)
3. 5-series - 677 (23,581)
4. A6 - 363 (11,409)
5. CTS - 319 (9,689)
6. GS - 172 (11,142)
7. Q70 - 97 (4,484)
8. RLX - 88 (1,200)
Just pointing out:
E-Class encompasses the E-Sedan, E-Coupe, E-Cabriolet, and E-Wagon.  Those, plus the diesels and the availability of AWD.

Genesis Sedan and Coupe.
5-Series Sedan only.
A6 Sedan only.
CTS Sedan, Coupe, and defunct Wagon.
GS Sedan only.
Q70 Sedan only.
Poor RLX, I won't pick on it.  Wee little lamb.

Perhaps therein lies the 'massive' difference between 1,268 units sold, and the rest of the 'big' players being about half that amount?

Re: Dealership experience:
Why you're all pointing to a $20,000 difference when the article clearly states a $13,000 difference when similarly optioned is beyond me.  For $13,000, it's not "just" the dealership, it's materials quality, resale value (heritage/pedigree, as previously mentioned), etc.  One cannot conclusively say that indeed one is paying $13,000 (or $20,000) for the dealership alone.

I can attest that the Lexus Dealership experience is lovely, but you pay for it in terms of the actual cost of repairs more than in the initial purchase.  For example, my parents' RX400h was not purchased at the dealership where the car is serviced...

I can also attest that other dealerships are just as good, save for the quality of coffee ::).  Hell, I'd rather get a pedicure done while getting my car serviced, any way, so FCA Grimsby FTW :winner:.

As for the Jacob Kerfuffle...

FWIW, I just got back to the office after being retained by a now-client who was struck by a car while lane splitting at a stoplight...soooo...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
I'm not looking to make servicing my car a social experience.  What is it that I am missing?

Next time your waiting to board a large jet infiltrate the first class lounge and ask that same question.  :)

OK, this was quite the loaded comparison and the outcome was obviously determined before receipt of the vehicles.  Fact remains that if these two vehicles were offered FREE to forum members the Hyundai would never move.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Fact remains that if these two vehicles were offered FREE to forum members the Hyundai would never move.
I'm not so sure you're correct.  I mean, you're predominantly correct - but there will always be outliers ;)

...*cough*, Patrick.  :P

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
MB service inferior to Honda. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere.

MB Service in Ottawa is no better than Honda (Ogilvie vs Civic). Not that MB service is bad, Honda is that good.

On other points, this forum is most definitely flooded with whores (I am one of them). Glad we are all out of the closet now :)

Price no object, Lexus wins. Price factored in, again it depends. Given steep depreciation on the Hyundai, the lease is going to be too expensive and thus uncompetitive, even compared to ze Germans. But if you are looking at the Genesis with 2% financing over 96 months, you have a bigger problem. A you definitely are a whore looking to impress others by flushing your finances down the toilet.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
My Audi dealer experience was great during purchase and delivery and 4/5 times during servicing. I got treated poorly during an upgrade (Audi speak for recall) to the point I had to go well up the pay scale at Audi Canada to get satisfaction.  Now I get extra special premium treatment when I walk in  ;D But each time I send an email to the Big Kahuna indicating that the dealership size and staff need to double to meet local market expectations. I point to the big new shinny Lexus dealership down the road and how big Budd's BMW is.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
I keep my cars a long time. This decision would need no second thoughts, Lexus 110% all the way.

Hyundai does not and will not ever ring "luxury". Lexus started out building exceptional luxury cars and continue to this day with a well earned reputation.  Hyundai is a great economy car name, period.
Yeah, but MB is more luxury than Lexus. Period  ;D
Bombastic

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Well they give you a loaner usually.
i suppose that is nice, but the car would just sit in the parking lot all day anyway, so getting a courtesy ride is fine with me.

At my dealer you don't stand in line with everyone in the morning.  You sit in a lounge, they come get you and you sit with an adviser at a nice wooden desk in a private area to discus your concerns.
hmmm...i have yet to stand in a line at my Kia dealership...i come in, give the service person my keys, then the driver gets me to work...to be fair, i come in a bit later, so i likely beat most of the crowd.

Also when I asked to talk to the master tech that was no problem and he came out and addressed me with respect and discussed things with me.  I don't know, seemed better than the Toyota lineup next door lol.
i've done the same thing, up to and including the tech coming for a ride to ensure he understood the sound i was trying to describe (ended up being a lose nut in the door).

i think much of what you mention has more to do with the dealership itself, than the fact it is a Lexus...sure, the crystal palaces that the fancy places have are more aesthetically pleasing than some of the more plebian structures you'd like find Kias sold at, but i'd much rather have decent service and be treated with respect than to pay for fancy just for the sake of fancy.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
:banghead:  People with financial flexibility that want to reward themselves with luxury items typically do not want to walk into a dealership or retail outlet without some special treatment or perks. Its that showing off?  :)

Ah! Now I understand better, so it's not the name "Hyundai" that bothers you, it's the dealership experience. That makes a little more sense - though personally I still think that's a tiny fragment of why I'd buy a car, so wouldn't spend $20K on it....
never having owned a Lexus, i'd like to know what this special treatment is.

when i make an appointment to drop my Rio5 off at the dealership for maintenance, i drop off the keys, get a courtesy ride to work (often the only one), then they call me later to update me on the car, and confirm a pick up time...they come pick me up from work and bring me back to the dealership to pick up my car...my service has always been completed on time and at a fair price (and so far haven't pushed extra crap not needed) which has helped make this car one of the lowest cost to drive cars i've had...my car is washed and ready to go...they even have coffee, etc there if i wanted to grab one.

what extra service is Lexus offering as part of that $20k premium?

Let me tell you about our Lexus experience. 

We use Meade Lexus when we have to.  First, you make your service registration online, which is nice.  When you arrive at the dealership, you park your car in an enclosed areas prior to the service.  So it doesn't matter it it's raining, snowing, etc.  They are attending to your car even before it stops and are opening the door for you.  You meet your service adviser who already has a print up of your service appointment.  They double check, and away you go.  You next walk into the luxurious service area and the barista (yes, barista) asked you what type of coffee or beverage you'd like.  The coffee bar is about 8 feet long...like what you'd see in a Starbucks.  While they are making your coffee, another lady at the counter asks if you'd like an iPad to surf the net.  Once we get your coffee, we move over to the complimentary breakfast bar.  You get whatever.  Next into the lounge area.  Leather couches, several large screen TVs, etc.  The child's playroom, which is large, it soundproof.  So   And you chill out and drink coffee, eat and surf the net on their dime.  Once your service is done, they'll ask if you have time to have your car washed/vacuumed.  I usually forgo this part, since my car is clean already.  But it's nice to be asked.  You pay, they open the door for you and off you go.  Now we've only been a couple of times in the many hundred of thousands of KMs we've owned our Lexus'.  Now we didn't buy the Lexus for the service. We bought it for the quality and the reliability.  But I have to admit...we were shocked at the level of detail and customer care that we've been provided.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Comparison Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 versus 2015 Lexus GS 350 AWD
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2015, 05:46:31 pm »
That's one thing even my dealer does, brings the car to the front door,  walks you out to your car and wishes you well.

Every other dealer tosses you the key and you go find it in their maze.

It's a small thing but I'm sure many appreciate it.

Online pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Civic Honda in Ottawa did that for me with the Odyssey... though they were undergoing some major construction at the time, so not sure if they usually do that or not.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
that all sounds nice, but personally, i don't hang out at the car dealership while my service is being done.

also, that level of service you describe isn't completely exclusive to Lexus...one of the new GM dealerships they recently built (MacMaster Chevrolet moved to a new location and a new building) has much of what you describe...so, as i said, it is really more about the dealership, than the fact it's a Lexus.

http://www.macmasterchev.ca/virtual-tour/

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
that all sounds nice, but personally, i don't hang out at the car dealership while my service is being done.

also, that level of service you describe isn't completely exclusive to Lexus...one of the new GM dealerships they recently built (MacMaster Chevrolet moved to a new location and a new building) has much of what you describe...so, as i said, it is really more about the dealership, than the fact it's a Lexus.

http://www.macmasterchev.ca/virtual-tour/

Not true.  Most every Lexus dealership has the level of customer service I describe.  Some even have more.  All of GM?  Not so much.  And it's a joke you even hint at it. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Not sure if the additional $15K is worth the additional dealer experience over the Hyundai.

Well there's more than that.  But I'd say if it were ONLY the dealership experience...then no.  Because a Lexus is so reliable you rarely see a dealership.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
I have neither the time nor the interest to hang around a car dealership waiting for my car to be serviced.  Like I said - I'm not interested in turning it into a social event - so not particularly impressed by buffets, plush sofas, lounge singers or suchlike.  If that's your thing then yes, you will (apparently) get some added benefit in servicing your vehicle at some Lexus dealers.

As for me, I'd rather have that $20k in my pocket.  It would buy some pretty damned luxurious dinners and vacations.  Or a second car instead of that temporary "loaner".  ;D

And let me add than none of those trappings of so-called luxury have anything at all to do with courtesy, integrity, quality service and professionalism - which is all I really care about when it comes to maintaining my car.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I have neither the time nor the interest to hang around a car dealership waiting for my car to be serviced.

Well then the Lexus is for you!!  Since it is the least likely car on planet earth to require service.   ;)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
When KDS2K and Sailor and myself took out an IS250 F Sport last year, I was actually pretty impressed with the dealer experience.  Even though I was just shopping/test driving a car, the sales guy brought me around to introduce me to the Staff in front and even out back to the service folks.  I was actually pretty impressed.  That was just my small glimpse of what the Lexus ownership experience is all about, but they seem to have it nailed.     At the end of the day, I'm like Jaeger, as i don't want to hang around a dealership waiting for my car to be serviced, so this stuff wouldn't play much (if at all) in my buying decision.  But certainly kudos to Lexus for offering an above average service experience for the customer though. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:31:12 pm by CanuckS2K »
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing