Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 versus 2015 Lexus GS 350 AWD  (Read 44090 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
I like the Genesis 5.0 R.  Only because it has 429HP.   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey

It is a sweet ride. But having driven both, I think I'd opt for the V6. Partly because all the whizbang electronic gizmos on the V8 started to drive me bonkers.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile

It is a sweet ride. But having driven both, I think I'd opt for the V6. Partly because all the whizbang electronic gizmos on the V8 started to drive me bonkers.

I drove the "old" 5.0 R..not the current version.  And I thought it was fine.  Though I wasn't doing lock to lock drifts.   ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Hell yeah.... ;D

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
But why can't you accept the fact that some people simply buy stuff for themselves with no subconsciously BS as you proclaim. 
If I test drove the Genesis and it was the vehicle I liked the best, I couldn't care less if it was a freakin' Hyundai or whatever other hood symbol was attached to the hood.  I have two Hondas and a Nissan in my garage, so it's not like I'm a badge whore.

I can!

Actually, you can't. 

A couple of snippets from the other thread that you posted.

I think it's all well and noble to claim that one doesn't do anything with status or other people's perception of them in mind, but it's also massively deluded.

How do you know what goes through other people's minds when they decide to purchase one item or another?   You're claiming something as fact when simply it's just your opinion.

Unless, all your jeans are the same colour and shape, and all your shirts are the same colour of bonds t-shirts and all your shoes are work boots, you've considered how that thing you bought appears to others.

And again maybe......just maybe some folks like to look good for themselves and themselves ONLY and not to impress anyone else.  Strange concept eh? 

Yep. Unless you spend a lot of time looking at yourself in the mirror, "looking good" means "other people will enjoy looking at me".

Same comment as my last post. 

Bought with not even any sub or semi-conscious thought to how other people would respond to it? Absolute bollocks.

And again, you seem to think you know why everyone buys what they buy, even subconsciously.  I don't care one bit how anyone around me responds to any of my purchases.

My point is that some people just don't give a sh!t what others think when they purchase something and in no way it becomes part of their buying decision.  :)

But before all this went waaaay off the rails, I think maybe you missed the original point here.  Of course some people buy stuff only for themselves and don't give a rat's behind about what others think (how else do you explain the few sales of Mitsubishi Mirages?  ;D ), but I don't think that was the point earlier today when ol' Snowballs says, "Agree 100% plus Lexus is a Japanese luxury brand while the Gensesis is struggling with identity because it is a mainstream brand regardless of how good it the car is. Hyundai desperately needs a luxury brand."

If not for showing off, why does Hyundai desperately need a luxury brand?  Will the omission of the Hyundai badge on the back of the car make it suddenly different to drive or more luxurious?  Or will it just help its owners show off?  As also shown elsewhere in this thread, the Genesis sales numbers are waaaay better than Lexus, so most people buying these things surely disagree.  Is it just Snowman who has the hang up with the Hyundai brand despite proclaiming he never buys anything to show off?   :stick:

This is a separate point from whether or not the Lexus is better or more fastidiously engineered and/or whether it is truly worth $20,000 more than the Genesis.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
The biggest problem is the name. You don't association Hyundai with luxury. What they should have done is rename the luxury brand without using the Hyundai name. Just like Toyota did. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
You're right, that is another reason someone might choose not to buy something called a "Hyundai" for example, and it would be a solid reason. But just renaming the brand wouldn't fix that, so if they then went and bought a "Genesis Sedan" because it was called a Genesis instead of a Hyundai, that would still be silly. In that case, it would just be about prestige labels, and not about anything else.
i understand you're point, but i don't know why others aren't...it's almost like they have misunderstood what you stated, and getting defensive about it and arguing points you never made.

i made the same statement as you before, and was smited for it as well...now, i really don't even bother...some people read what they want to read, and just like to argue with others.

the car should be judged on its merits, not the badge...if it drives great, has a nice interior, gets decent fuel economy and provides decent value, i don't care if it says Hyundai, BMW, Chevrolet or Audi...it's a great car PERIOD.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
I keep my cars a long time. This decision would need no second thoughts, Lexus 110% all the way.

Hyundai does not and will not ever ring "luxury". Lexus started out building exceptional luxury cars and continue to this day with a well earned reputation.  Hyundai is a great economy car name, period.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 versus 2015 Lexus GS 350 AWD
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2015, 02:10:07 am »
I'm a badge whore...sad but true. Can't imagine myself dumping 50k in a Hyundai.

For those of you discussing sales numbers...I'd bet Hyundai is catering to a very different audience. Lexus is picky with credit while Hyundai will happily finance you a Genesis in 96m @2.49% and most people will be able to get approved - subprime loans....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:15:43 am by Tauri13 »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
But why can't you accept the fact that some people simply buy stuff for themselves with no subconsciously BS as you proclaim. 
If I test drove the Genesis and it was the vehicle I liked the best, I couldn't care less if it was a freakin' Hyundai or whatever other hood symbol was attached to the hood.  I have two Hondas and a Nissan in my garage, so it's not like I'm a badge whore.

I can!

Actually, you can't. 

A couple of snippets from the other thread that you posted.

I think it's all well and noble to claim that one doesn't do anything with status or other people's perception of them in mind, but it's also massively deluded.

How do you know what goes through other people's minds when they decide to purchase one item or another?   You're claiming something as fact when simply it's just your opinion.

Unless, all your jeans are the same colour and shape, and all your shirts are the same colour of bonds t-shirts and all your shoes are work boots, you've considered how that thing you bought appears to others.

And again maybe......just maybe some folks like to look good for themselves and themselves ONLY and not to impress anyone else.  Strange concept eh? 

Yep. Unless you spend a lot of time looking at yourself in the mirror, "looking good" means "other people will enjoy looking at me".

Same comment as my last post. 

Bought with not even any sub or semi-conscious thought to how other people would respond to it? Absolute bollocks.

And again, you seem to think you know why everyone buys what they buy, even subconsciously.  I don't care one bit how anyone around me responds to any of my purchases.

My point is that some people just don't give a sh!t what others think when they purchase something and in no way it becomes part of their buying decision.  :)

But before all this went waaaay off the rails, I think maybe you missed the original point here.  Of course some people buy stuff only for themselves and don't give a rat's behind about what others think (how else do you explain the few sales of Mitsubishi Mirages?  ;D ), but I don't think that was the point earlier today when ol' Snowballs says, "Agree 100% plus Lexus is a Japanese luxury brand while the Gensesis is struggling with identity because it is a mainstream brand regardless of how good it the car is. Hyundai desperately needs a luxury brand."

If not for showing off, why does Hyundai desperately need a luxury brand?  Will the omission of the Hyundai badge on the back of the car make it suddenly different to drive or more luxurious?  Or will it just help its owners show off?  As also shown elsewhere in this thread, the Genesis sales numbers are waaaay better than Lexus, so most people buying these things surely disagree.  Is it just Snowman who has the hang up with the Hyundai brand despite proclaiming he never buys anything to show off?   :stick:

This is a separate point from whether or not the Lexus is better or more fastidiously engineered and/or whether it is truly worth $20,000 more than the Genesis.

:banghead:  People with financial flexibility that want to reward themselves with luxury items typically do not want to walk into a dealership or retail outlet without some special treatment or perks. Its that showing off?  :)

When I go for a drive in my TT-RS its not to show off along Lakeshore Drive.......most of the time I'm out on the Lower Base Line, country side roads, and around the escarpment with many other owners of performance cars enjoying their purchase.....cursing at cyclists  :P

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
:banghead:  People with financial flexibility that want to reward themselves with luxury items typically do not want to walk into a dealership or retail outlet without some special treatment or perks. Its that showing off?  :)

Ah! Now I understand better, so it's not the name "Hyundai" that bothers you, it's the dealership experience. That makes a little more sense - though personally I still think that's a tiny fragment of why I'd buy a car, so wouldn't spend $20K on it....

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
I find it fascinating that there appears to be a backlash on this site when it comes to car buying and badges.

At the end of the day these "badges" are nothing more than "name brands." Name brands are created by a number of things such as heritage, quality over time, success as a product, etc. There's a reason why I reach for the Heinz, Tide, or Lays over the "no name" brands in the grocery store.

When it comes to cars it's much the same thing. Lexus (and the Germans to a larger degree) are name brands in the luxury car market and people who want a nice car look to the household names first because there's a comfort. There's comfort because there's a track record of success, quality, racing heritage, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with looking for those things when making a luxury purchase - this is what luxury is all about.

I don't know why it somehow has to be different with cars. There are threads on this forum about watches, bikes, workout equipment, stereo equipment, etc., and people tend to buy the name brand stuff if they can afford it. Generally it's for the reasons stated above. I buy Ivanko weights not because I want to show off but because they're among the best in the world. They are better quality than the no name stuff and I don't mind spending more to get that quality, track record, and comfort of the name brand. I see a lot of name brands (and expensive watches) in the watch thread. No one joins that thread and starts calling people badge whores. A $50 watch does the same job (in terms of A to B) as a $25,000 one, right? Or does it?

At the end of the day even those who come out and proudly proclaim that they won't buy a car because of the badge are labeling themselves and showing off, albeit in a different facet. Everyone should just buy what they want to buy. Be it badge, value, quality, cheapness - who cares. Buy what makes you happy and what makes you comfortable.

We're all biased and we're all "badge whores" to a degree in our lives. If not with cars then probably with something else. Let's just admit that name brands work and move on.

NO, just NO vman.     that makes too much sense for this board!

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Vman For The Win!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
^^^ What he said.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD

Ah! Now I understand better, so it's not the name "Hyundai" that bothers you, it's the dealership experience. That makes a little more sense - though personally I still think that's a tiny fragment of why I'd buy a car, so wouldn't spend $20K on it....
never having owned a Lexus, i'd like to know what this special treatment is.

when i make an appointment to drop my Rio5 off at the dealership for maintenance, i drop off the keys, get a courtesy ride to work (often the only one), then they call me later to update me on the car, and confirm a pick up time...they come pick me up from work and bring me back to the dealership to pick up my car...my service has always been completed on time and at a fair price (and so far haven't pushed extra crap not needed) which has helped make this car one of the lowest cost to drive cars i've had...my car is washed and ready to go...they even have coffee, etc there if i wanted to grab one.

what extra service is Lexus offering as part of that $20k premium?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Well they give you a loaner usually.

At my dealer you don't stand in line with everyone in the morning.  You sit in a lounge, they come get you and you sit with an adviser at a nice wooden desk in a private area to discus your concerns.   

I felt special, like they cared.

Also when I asked to talk to the master tech that was no problem and he came out and addressed me with respect and discussed things with me.  I don't know, seemed better than the Toyota lineup next door lol.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey

never having owned a Lexus, i'd like to know what this special treatment is.

when i make an appointment to drop my Rio5 off at the dealership for maintenance, i drop off the keys, get a courtesy ride to work (often the only one), then they call me later to update me on the car, and confirm a pick up time...they come pick me up from work and bring me back to the dealership to pick up my car...my service has always been completed on time and at a fair price (and so far haven't pushed extra crap not needed) which has helped make this car one of the lowest cost to drive cars i've had...my car is washed and ready to go...they even have coffee, etc there if i wanted to grab one.

what extra service is Lexus offering as part of that $20k premium?

Never having owned a luxury brand car, I'd like to know this as well.  When I had my Nissans, I got exactly the same level of service that the Infiniti drivers received.  Does the Lexus experience include free cappuccino and croissants? I don't drink the former and really should pass on the latter.  Is it backrubs from fashion models while you wait?  Okay, I'm jealous - but not $20k jealous.

At my decidedly non-posh Hyundai dealer I get respectful, helpful and knowledgeable service advisers.  I get a ride to and pickup from the GO station.  I pick up my freshly-washed car at the end of the day and drive it home.  I'm not looking to make servicing my car a social experience.  What is it that I am missing?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Well they give you a loaner usually.

At my dealer you don't stand in line with everyone in the morning.  You sit in a lounge, they come get you and you sit with an adviser at a nice wooden desk in a private area to discus your concerns.   

I felt special, like they cared.

Also when I asked to talk to the master tech that was no problem and he came out and addressed me with respect and discussed things with me.  I don't know, seemed better than the Toyota lineup next door lol.

^^^ VW offers similar services, at least my VW dealer does.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Jaeger, you need to be educated on how unhappy you should be with such appalling service.   ;D

It is not easy to describe the difference between competent and uniquely professional.  The difference does exist though. 

Whether it is worth the price of admission, well, that's entirely subjective.

Given yor facility with language, I am certain that if a meaningful difference existed, you would be able to describe it.  ;D

The option for a loaner car is certainly one articulable benefit.  But one that is meaningless to me, as I take the train to work and would rather be dropped off and picked up at the station.

Northernridge

In my case the Mercedes service experience was a detractor and so I chose the Berlin taxi in spite of dealer service rather than because of it.