Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 versus 2015 Lexus GS 350 AWD  (Read 44100 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Old-new luxury versus new-new luxury.
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
I think you're missing the final score and who came out on top.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
"WINNER: Hyundai: 4.5, Lexus: 4"

Quite surprised the Genesis ended up with 8.4L /100km.  Under some aggressive driving, that's pretty impressive for a large car.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile

Our admiration of the Lexus GS 350 AWD is in fact, even greater now with this F Sport version than it was last year when it won our hearts and comparison test. But the new Hyundai Genesis is a sensational luxury car offering at a value price that’s simply too impressive to be ignored and clinches a narrow victory here because of it.

Good used buy. The Hyundai's plummet in value. Hardly any prestige tho.  I still would buy the Lexus - even if it meant getting a gentle used one for the same price at the Genesis new.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150

It's on page six:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:01:30 am by JacobBlack »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
"WINNER: Hyundai: 4.5, Lexus: 4"

Quite surprised the Genesis ended up with 8.4L /100km.  Under some aggressive driving, that's pretty impressive for a large car.

Even more surprising that destroying the Lexus in fuel economy didn't net the Genesis any advantage in that category.  ;D

I'm just picking nits - this was a really good comparison test- something that has long been a stregth of Autos.ca.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
Of these two, I'd go with the Lexus simply because of resale value.

What is interesting is the sales data mentioned in the article. When you include these two cars, plus the competitors listed (including the inexplicably missing CTS), sales to date in Canada are (US to date in brackets):

1. E-Class - 1268 (22,252)
2. Genesis Sedan - 681 (17,270 - includes coupe)
3. 5-series - 677 (23,581)
4. A6 - 363 (11,409)
5. CTS - 319 (9,689)
6. GS - 172 (11,142)
7. Q70 - 97 (4,484)
8. RLX - 88 (1,200)

It really looks like people want either the cachet of the BMW/M-B, or the value of the Genesis, in both Canada and the US. The Lexus, along with the Audi and Cadillac, form a second tier. One also wonders how many people choose the ES, or loaded Avalons and 300s as an alternative.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
It really looks like people want either the cachet of the BMW/M-B, or the value of the Genesis, in both Canada and the US. The Lexus, along with the Audi and Cadillac, form a second tier. One also wonders how many people choose the ES, or loaded Avalons and 300s as an alternative.

Interesting as I think I'd lean to the GS (smart) or the A6 (splurge) in this class of the current offerings.

I've always favored the 5 series in this class historically, but with no manual transmission on offer anymore, I can't see taking the plunge on the FGC.   

The Hyundai is a heck of value, but I'd spend a bit more just for the peace of mind of Lexus quality (perceived or not).

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
On a side note, I do believe that apart from size, the GS offers nothing in terms of luxury or performance over the IS, which is breaking sales records.  The GS is just not special enough (although I think it looks vastly better than the IS).  Similar relationship between the 3 series and the 5.

Oh, you couldn't be more wrong. It is most definitely a step above in luxury.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"

Interesting as I think I'd lean to the GS (smart) or the A6 (splurge) in this class of the current offerings.

I've always favored the 5 series in this class historically, but with no manual transmission on offer anymore, I can't see taking the plunge on the FGC.   

The Hyundai is a heck of value, but I'd spend a bit more just for the peace of mind of Lexus quality (perceived or not).

Agree 100% plus Lexus is a Japanese luxury brand while the Gensesis is struggling with identity because it is a mainstream brand regardless of how good it the car is. Hyundai desperately needs a luxury brand.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Agree 100% plus Lexus is a Japanese luxury brand while the Gensesis is struggling with identity because it is a mainstream brand regardless of how good it the car is. Hyundai desperately needs a luxury brand.

Couldn't disagree more with this. Luxury brands/sub-brands/psuedo brands are a thing invented to suit hyper-image-conscious Americans. Lincoln, Acura, Mercury, Buick are all examples of how poorly the concept performs. Any decent marketing team can transform a brand's image when backed by decent product - so a new "brand" is a cynical and needless exercise.

Hilarious that the same people who claim they "never buy anything to impress anyone" also think they need to have a "luxury brand" on the badge of their car.....  :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
If Hyundai believed there was a business case for a separate luxury brand and dealer stream I'm sure they'd pursue it.  Hardly seems worth it to me with all of two models available (excluding the why-does-this-even-exist-anymore Equus).  They are likely never going to appeal to the badgewhores anyway.  I think they're okay with that. I know I am.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
i think non-german manufacturers of lux mid size sedans needs to realize they cannot compete with german head-to-head...instead of competing with german buyers they should compete for customers who wants something more than an accord or camry...ie: how much better the GS is compare to a Camry or CTS compare with chevy Malibu
because ultimately when you arrive at the country club, people will only recognize the brand...if you arrive in a cadillac or lexus, you have to explain to your "friends" why you bought it over a benz or bmw (cheaper, more equipment/tech/faster, etc)....wherein if you show up in a benz, you just show up in a benz no explaination needed...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
i think non-german manufacturers of lux mid size sedans needs to realize they cannot compete with german head-to-head...instead of competing with german buyers they should compete for customers who wants something more than an accord or camry...ie: how much better the GS is compare to a Camry or CTS compare with chevy Malibu
because ultimately when you arrive at the country club, people will only recognize the brand...if you arrive in a cadillac or lexus, you have to explain to your "friends" why you bought it over a benz or bmw (cheaper, more equipment/tech/faster, etc)....wherein if you show up in a benz, you just show up in a benz no explaination needed...

I'd just get new friends.  The real kind.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
On a side note, I do believe that apart from size, the GS offers nothing in terms of luxury or performance over the IS, which is breaking sales records.  The GS is just not special enough (although I think it looks vastly better than the IS).  Similar relationship between the 3 series and the 5.

I may need to sit in them again.  I really didn't sense a $15K uptick in luxury but it was a while ago.  I just remember thinking that there was no way that the GS is worth $70K from the perspective of luxury and that the IS interior was nicer.

The GS is considerably more spacious inside...you can almost lounge in there
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:26:23 pm by HannibalSmith »
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)

Couldn't disagree more with this. Luxury brands/sub-brands/psuedo brands are a thing invented to suit hyper-image-conscious Americans. Lincoln, Acura, Mercury, Buick are all examples of how poorly the concept performs. Any decent marketing team can transform a brand's image when backed by decent product - so a new "brand" is a cynical and needless exercise.

Hilarious that the same people who claim they "never buy anything to impress anyone" also think they need to have a "luxury brand" on the badge of their car.....  :rofl2: :rofl:

Exactly what I was thinking!   :rofl2:

Jaeger, regarding the "scores" for the drivetrain category, the fuel consumption factor was considered, but wasn't the only factor. The GS's transmission, despite being down two cogs, just feels more direct, crisp and intuitive. Plus, since I didn't do exact empty-the-tank-and-measure-the-fuel assessments, I considered the government ratings for the Lexus that suggest it is supposed to be more efficient in both city and highway driving.  My one-off drive -- although several hundred kms of differing road types and conditions, may not represent everyone's driving style. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad

I may need to sit in them again.  I really didn't sense a $15K uptick in luxury but it was a while ago.  I just remember thinking that there was no way that the GS is worth $70K from the perspective of luxury and that the IS interior was nicer.

The GS is considerably more spacious inside...you can almost lounge in there

No question about that.  But does more space equate to more luxury?

When I was looking at cars I actually cross-shopped the two. I really liked both and for me the additional space in the GS did make the car feel more luxurious. The IS, being smaller, felt more sports like.

If I was looking for a luxurious large sedan, the GS and the A6 would be high on the list.

I particularily like the GS in RWD F-Sport trim, silver, with red interior...beautiful.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
One more thing that needs to be addressed is that "features" does not denote "luxury."

Thank you.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Nope, but ride quality and quietness do.  And that's a big and noticeable difference between the IS and the GS. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
So you could easily get a V8 Genesis for the cost of the V6 Lexus. For me, its not only the value option, I just think the Genesis is a much better looking car overall. Interior wise, meh, the Genesis has enough doohickeys and doodads to impress me no problem. As for the badge thing, not trying to impress the people at the golf course or the neighbors, so I will take the car with the moar powahh that I think looks better.
Lighten up Francis.....