Author Topic: Tesla Model S  (Read 100119 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla Model S
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2017, 11:17:11 pm »
Problem solved: sell the Tesla and buy what, 3 or 4 Smart EVs?

Smart EV's all over Ontario about 100 km away in all directions.   
Drive to location, plug in, switch cars, repeat.

Tesla is going to build a car sharing network for Model 3 owners so that the cost of their car is vastly reduced.
So the idea of just getting in an EV, driving, switching to another one without waiting to charge is on the horizon.

Tesla better worry about building a Model 3 first...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2017, 11:19:46 pm »

Tesla is going to build a car sharing network for Model 3 owners so that the cost of their car is vastly reduced.
So the idea of just getting in an EV, driving, switching to another one without waiting to charge is on the horizon.

LOL, no kidding. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2017, 08:36:55 am »

Fanboi's don't get that... I've had endless debates with my buddy over this same fact.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2017, 12:31:12 pm »
Commuted in the Model S again today.

Realized a feature I didn't know they had added to the car in a recent update, the car automatically moves seat and steering wheel out of the way on exit, and then back on entry.

Again, feature added overnight, just like getting new capabilities on a smart phone.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:04 pm »

Realized a feature I didn't know they had added to the car in a recent update, the car automatically moves seat and steering wheel out of the way on exit, and then back on entry.

Again, feature added overnight, just like getting new capabilities on a smart phone.

A lot of luxo barges had that decades ago....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2017, 12:41:24 pm »

A decade?

My 1997 Mark VIII had it. I think the official factory term was called "Easy Entry". Not only that, it depended on which key fob you used. It would preset to whichever driving position was set to the fob after you got in.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:43:41 pm by rrocket »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2017, 12:45:07 pm »
They sure did, my point was that my 5 year old car keeps getting better, whereas every other car at that age suffers from falling behind.

Tesla ranked top innovative brand:
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-ranked-most-innovative-brand-in-us/

These constant updates to older vehicles keep owners like me attracted to the brand, it's just another demonstration that the company cares about it's products years after release.   They don't owe me anything, I've got one of the oldest Model S (VIN 6xxx) they ever made, and yet, the car gets better all the time.

I haven't even barely paid them to service the car, just one "scheduled" service visit in the 2.5 years we've owned it (second owner).
Compared to the way old dealerships treat customers as a revenue stream, this is a big deal to luxury buyers.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2017, 12:49:24 pm »

They sure did, my point was that my 5 year old car keeps getting better, whereas every other car at that age suffers from falling behind.

It's not getting better. How about this perspective: It's getting stuff a luxury car should have had from the get go.

Personally, I thought easy entry was "meh" and a bit gimmicky. Never had issues getting in a car before. But I guess it's "neat".

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2017, 01:14:57 pm »
From the get-go, it had far higher performance combined with amazing efficiency compared to any competition we drove.
My wife drives 30000 km per year, and we're saving thousands yearly on fuel costs, in a car that out performs her previous luxury cars.

Sure, some of the features could have been baked in from the start, but the original car won MT car of the year, so it was a compelling car THEN.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2017, 01:20:15 pm »
From the get-go, it had far higher performance combined with amazing efficiency compared to any competition we drove.
My wife drives 30000 km per year, and we're saving thousands yearly on fuel costs, in a car that out performs her previous luxury cars.

Sure, some of the features could have been baked in from the start, but the original car won MT car of the year, so it was a compelling car THEN.

WOW...your car shares the podium with the likes of the PT Cruiser, Renault Alliance and Mustang II.....just saying, just because its an "interesting" car doesn't make it that great looking back on it.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2017, 03:14:47 pm »
Judging by all the jealousy demonstrated in this show and shine thread.  It seems reasonable to think that Tesla has built some great products, otherwise, why all the hate.

This is why Tesla accomplishes things that others don't date to attempt:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/11/28/optimistic-elon-musks-moonshot-method/

^^ Seriously, good read, shows the "flaws" of Tesla and Musk, but also shows why dreamers have to dream, innovators need to be pushed to succeed.

Just one audacious example:

World wide fast charging network that owners (current) can use free of charge, without which, Tesla would not have anywhere near the sales of pure EV's.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2017, 03:16:21 pm »
jealousy....thats what you got out of this??  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2017, 03:17:33 pm »

Judging by all the jealousy

Why would you so stupidly presume to think it's jealously if someone has negative things to say that don't agree with your narrative?

That's like me saying that because you have negative things to say about ICE engines that you're clearly jealous of them.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2017, 05:01:43 pm »

A decade?

My 1997 Mark VIII had it. I think the official factory term was called "Easy Entry". Not only that, it depended on which key fob you used. It would preset to whichever driving position was set to the fob after you got in.
our Sorento has it too...well, just the seat, as the steering wheel isn't powered...the new Stinger has it though, on everything as the steering column is powered (it also resets the mirrors upon startup and all other preset settings).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2017, 05:04:20 pm »

A decade?

our Sorento has it too...well, just the seat, as the steering wheel isn't powered...the new Stinger has it though, on everything as the steering column is powered (it also resets the mirrors upon startup and all other preset settings).
Do you need to download a new app to get it to do that??

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2017, 06:44:28 pm »
I think the point here isn't that the Tesla now has a feature that has been on luxo-barges for decades, but rather that the feature was added as a free update, and all cars were updated wirelessly.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 28, 2017, 06:45:04 pm »
I think the point here isn't that the Tesla now has a feature that has been on luxo-barges for decades, but rather that the feature was added as a free update, and all cars were updated wirelessly.

Yea, that part is pretty cool.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2017, 10:22:08 am »

A decade?

My MDX from a decade (almost) ago has that. Seat, mirrors, and steering column moves automatically.  I love it especially since my wife started driving.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2017, 10:28:41 am »

A decade?

My MDX from a decade (almost) ago has that. Seat, mirrors, and steering column moves automatically.  I love it especially since my wife started driving.
I didn't particularly like it in my Mark. Since the seat moved soooo far back, I couldn't reach the ignition until it went back to the normal position.

Fortunately you could disable it.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2017, 11:43:58 am »

A decade?

I didn't particularly like it in my Mark. Since the seat moved soooo far back, I couldn't reach the ignition until it went back to the normal position.

Fortunately you could disable it.
Yeah I don't like the easy entry stuff because it compromises entry and exit for the rear passenger. I just like that I don't have to change all the settings every time I drive the MDX.