Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Lexus NX 200t; Day 1  (Read 9055 times)

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Lexus NX 200t; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 06:58:33 pm »
You're kidding...56 grand for a Rav-4 with leather seats???Is this still earth.....or is it the planet Nebulon, where nothing makes sense?  Because nothing about this little vehicle does...Not bad looking though....Thanks  Jackie

Have to agree entirely. The RDX is a CR-V, the NX-200T is a RAV4. I'm quite interested in the new Edge Sport with 2.7 twin turbo V6, which is a Fusion in disguise, a far more capable base vehicle than the proletarian stuff Toyota and Honda start with. It is supposed to be in actual fact, not opinion, QUIET, inside. And it's much cheaper and has actual cooled front seats, not just ventilated, and has all the toys. Unfortunately, the first 40,000 or so of the new model of all trims MAY leak water through inadequately sealed A-pillars. The resulting wet carpet apparently smells like an outdoor privy. Oops. Discouraging to read on the Edge forums. And the seats are meh.

Still, the urban professional will pay good money for a Lexus or an Acura, Benz GLC, Audi Q5, and BMW X3. So I suppose the artificial market divisions elevating these things above their actual performance station in every way except price are justified, simply because the status-conscious view them that way.

I've read some British and Australian reviews of the  NX-200T, and since they don't seem to feel the need to anoint every Lexus as Triple A1 Fantastic, this 2 litre turbo gets decidedly lukewarm reviews. It's slow, folks. Five more horsepower in an X3 obliterates it. And the NX is  hardly leading edge enough to warrant a $56,000 price tag even with F-Sport badges.

Autos.ca could perform a heretical service by pitting things like a Forester XT, Nissan  Pathfinder, Hyundai Santa Fe V6  and Edge Sport directly against the NX and RDX and GLC in a comparison test. Head-to-head.  PR types shudder in horror. It'd be like a blind beer-tasting contest with normal people judging, where the expected luxury makes  may not triumph. So it couldn't possibly happen - a bridge commercially too far. Oh well. Back to the personal trenches of slogging through the lot myself on test drives. I have an uncomfortable feeling that a Mazda CX-3 might well suffice and look better than all of them.

From CAR UK:

"We actually had to make sure the NX200t is four-wheel drive – and it is – because the way it cuts power when driven briskly in the dry feels almost exactly like a poorly set up front-driver struggling in the wet. Perhaps Lexus doesn’t think its customers will push the NX hard enough to make this an issue, but even at a moderate pace it quickly became tedious for us."

From Autocar UK:

"Drive with some attitude, though, and it all falls apart. Swing briskly into a corner and you wouldn't really know that the four-wheel drive system is - apparently - sending up to 50 per cent of the drive to the rear axle rather than just to the front.

The NX understeers with gusto, just as if it were front-wheel drive only (which it is in steady-state driving), until you back off the throttle in order to point the nose back in the direction you initially hoped it would be heading.

There's little adjustability or playfulness, and while that steering weight and response is fine in everyday pottering, a string and a cup offers about the same sense of connection.

Added to this the fact that the engine feels strained and sounds unpleasantly whiney at high revs and that the gearbox struggles to respond promptly in fast driving, it's quickly apparent that the sports element of the NX is really only skin deep.

The ride doesn't help, either. It amplifies high-frequency bumps and ruts, so you get a constant fidget over coarse surfaces and thumps over expansion joints and the like; it's not overly harsh, but it rarely settles."

That's just two reviews. What I'd like to know is why this thing gets such good reviews here in North America.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2015, 10:45:46 pm »
^Most NA writters don't automatically knob-polish everything German. Well except for Yarkony.  :stick: ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 08:42:34 am »
That's just two reviews. What I'd like to know is why this thing gets such good reviews here in North America.

The British press is way more critical of non-European vehicles than the North American press.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 09:46:16 am »
I rode it a friend's NX 200t last Friday.  The front was pretty tight for me, but it'll be good enough for average-sized humans.   He drives in the city mostly, and it showed with 10.5L/100KM.
The ride was pretty compliant and I wouldn't say it's as quiet as a usual Lexus, but it was definitely pretty good.
Taking on-ramps onto 401, and then 404, it felt very planted and car-like, with minimal lean.  I'd be sold if it was a little bit larger on the inside, for maybe $45K with F-Sport pkg 1.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 09:50:01 am »
I sat in one at the auto show and really liked it. You're obviously not the target market if you think this is just a RAV4 with leather seats.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 09:50:58 am »
Sure it's based on the lesser relative RAV4.  Once you're inside, it doesn't feel or ride remotely like a RAV4.
RDX may be based on CR-V, but it has a V6 and arguably better interior for not THAT much $$.

You're kidding...56 grand for a Rav-4 with leather seats???Is this still earth.....or is it the planet Nebulon, where nothing makes sense?  Because nothing about this little vehicle does...Not bad looking though....Thanks  Jackie

Have to agree entirely. The RDX is a CR-V, the NX-200T is a RAV4. I'm quite interested in the new Edge Sport with 2.7 twin turbo V6, which is a Fusion in disguise, a far more capable base vehicle than the proletarian stuff Toyota and Honda start with. It is supposed to be in actual fact, not opinion, QUIET, inside. And it's much cheaper and has actual cooled front seats, not just ventilated, and has all the toys. Unfortunately, the first 40,000 or so of the new model of all trims MAY leak water through inadequately sealed A-pillars. The resulting wet carpet apparently smells like an outdoor privy. Oops. Discouraging to read on the Edge forums. And the seats are meh.

Still, the urban professional will pay good money for a Lexus or an Acura, Benz GLC, Audi Q5, and BMW X3. So I suppose the artificial market divisions elevating these things above their actual performance station in every way except price are justified, simply because the status-conscious view them that way.

I've read some British and Australian reviews of the  NX-200T, and since they don't seem to feel the need to anoint every Lexus as Triple A1 Fantastic, this 2 litre turbo gets decidedly lukewarm reviews. It's slow, folks. Five more horsepower in an X3 obliterates it. And the NX is  hardly leading edge enough to warrant a $56,000 price tag even with F-Sport badges.

Autos.ca could perform a heretical service by pitting things like a Forester XT, Nissan  Pathfinder, Hyundai Santa Fe V6  and Edge Sport directly against the NX and RDX and GLC in a comparison test. Head-to-head.  PR types shudder in horror. It'd be like a blind beer-tasting contest with normal people judging, where the expected luxury makes  may not triumph. So it couldn't possibly happen - a bridge commercially too far. Oh well. Back to the personal trenches of slogging through the lot myself on test drives. I have an uncomfortable feeling that a Mazda CX-3 might well suffice and look better than all of them.

From CAR UK:

"We actually had to make sure the NX200t is four-wheel drive – and it is – because the way it cuts power when driven briskly in the dry feels almost exactly like a poorly set up front-driver struggling in the wet. Perhaps Lexus doesn’t think its customers will push the NX hard enough to make this an issue, but even at a moderate pace it quickly became tedious for us."

From Autocar UK:

"Drive with some attitude, though, and it all falls apart. Swing briskly into a corner and you wouldn't really know that the four-wheel drive system is - apparently - sending up to 50 per cent of the drive to the rear axle rather than just to the front.

The NX understeers with gusto, just as if it were front-wheel drive only (which it is in steady-state driving), until you back off the throttle in order to point the nose back in the direction you initially hoped it would be heading.

There's little adjustability or playfulness, and while that steering weight and response is fine in everyday pottering, a string and a cup offers about the same sense of connection.

Added to this the fact that the engine feels strained and sounds unpleasantly whiney at high revs and that the gearbox struggles to respond promptly in fast driving, it's quickly apparent that the sports element of the NX is really only skin deep.

The ride doesn't help, either. It amplifies high-frequency bumps and ruts, so you get a constant fidget over coarse surfaces and thumps over expansion joints and the like; it's not overly harsh, but it rarely settles."

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 10:12:14 am »
This thing will sell like hotcakes in the swishier neighbourhoods.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 10:15:19 am »

Yep.  I've been seeing these and a lot of Macans in my neighbourhood lately.  I thought Macans were in short supply?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 10:59:32 am »

Yep.  I've been seeing these and a lot of Macans in my neighbourhood lately.  I thought Macans were in short supply?

They were but now with the '16 on lots they seem to be more readily available.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 01:26:50 pm »
Nice conclusion, James!  I agree.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 01:29:39 pm »

The British press is way more critical of non-European vehicles than the North American press.

and they expect every car, suv, trucks, what have yous, to drive like proverbial bimmers..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 06:21:42 pm »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline C4

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Tucson.
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2015, 10:58:33 am »
initially I wasn't a fan of the NX200t, but after seeing one in person its pretty nice(especially in that blue), people saying its a "tarted up rav4," well, that's true but the soccer moms driving them only see the Lexus badge.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 11:10:04 am »
initially I wasn't a fan of the NX200t, but after seeing one in person its pretty nice(especially in that blue), people saying its a "tarted up rav4," well, that's true but the soccer moms driving them only see the Lexus badge.

to be fair, the interior is about 400% better done in the lexus compared to RAV4.

compared to lexus, RAV4 is a redneck cousin that lives on welfare and has no teeth.