Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update: 2016 Mazda CX-3  (Read 23664 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Update: 2016 Mazda CX-3
« on: June 26, 2015, 07:09:42 am »
Teething problems can't abate the love affair.

Read More...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Long-Term Test Update: 2016 Mazda CX-3
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 09:10:12 am »
See,

THIS the biggest reason why I can't stand CUV's.  $32K for a small crossover that has merely adequate power and has a few deficiencies.  $32K buys you a helluva lot more when looking at cars.  Oh Sure, the CX-3 seems fully loaded, but there is more to a vehicle than just some vinyl seats and a few baubles.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:12:39 am »
See,

THIS the biggest reason why I can't stand CUV's.  $32K for a small crossover that has merely adequate power and has a few deficiencies.  $32K buys you a helluva lot more when looking at cars.  Oh Sure, the CX-3 seems fully loaded, but there is more to a vehicle than just some vinyl seats and a few baubles.

Wouldn't be an autos.ca thread without someone complaining about the price of a fully loaded model and ignoring the fact that well equipped models are available for thousands cheaper.  :)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:16:14 am »
See,

Wouldn't be an autos.ca thread without someone complaining about the price of a fully loaded model and ignoring the fact that well equipped models are available for thousands cheaper.  :)

No, no, no,  that's not my point.  This is a general discontent at CUV's vs cars in general.  What I'm saying is that $32K gets you a near-loaded V6 sedan like an Accord or an Altima.  OR a sub-compact CUV like a CX-3.  This isn't me complaining about the value (or lack thereof) of fully loaded models, but rather the premium that people pay just to get into a vehicle with with slightly more ground clearance than a comparable car.  If the CX-3 is based off a Mazda3, then it's about $8-10 000 more expensive.  AND the Mazda3 has more power and is likely nicer inside.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 09:29:47 am »
See,

No, no, no,  that's not my point.  This is a general discontent at CUV's vs cars in general.  What I'm saying is that $32K gets you a near-loaded V6 sedan like an Accord or an Altima.  OR a sub-compact CUV like a CX-3.  This isn't me complaining about the value (or lack thereof) of fully loaded models, but rather the premium that people pay just to get into a vehicle with with slightly more ground clearance than a comparable car.  If the CX-3 is based off a Mazda3, then it's about $8-10 000 more expensive.  AND the Mazda3 has more power and is likely nicer inside.

Well fair enough, though a loaded CX-3 is actually cheaper than a loaded Mazda 3.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 09:33:29 am »
See,

Well fair enough, though a loaded CX-3 is actually cheaper than a loaded Mazda 3.

Loaded Mazda3 Sport with automatic is $28,990 after freight and PDI.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:39:13 am »
See,

Loaded Mazda3 Sport with automatic is $28,990 after freight and PDI.

That's the base GT. Add the luxury and tech packages and you're right at $33k.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 11:19:45 am »
My 2 cents, considering the mild fuel consumption of the 2.5 I don't accept whatever lame excuse Mazda offers for not making the 2.5L engine standard on all CUV offered.

The 2.0 should only be reserved for the smaller lighter vehicles.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 11:41:17 am »
See,

CX-3 is based on the Mazda 2... and who can blame car makers for all the suckers who are willing to pay extra...ultimately it is the market that dictates price...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 12:09:59 pm »
CX-3 is based on the Mazda 2... and who can blame car makers for all the suckers who are willing to pay extra...ultimately it is the market that dictates price...

Very true. The two segments we're talking about are interesting to compare. The midsize sedan market in Canada is relatively small, while these small crossovers are one of the fastest growing segments. So it's not too surprising that the sedans are better values.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 12:12:59 pm »
My ~2880 lb 155 hp Mazda 3 feels fine. I've never lacked passing power even on the highway. Drop down a gear or two and speed off. The CX-3 is slightly detuned due to space constraints but I expect it to be fine. The Skyactiv automatic transmission is quite responsive.

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 03:04:59 pm »
  It really depends on how much room you need. The GS CX-5 is the same price but significantly bigger, must say I saw a CX-3 and the styling is sharp. Back seats are small and very plain, the munchkins don't notice that stuff though.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 03:20:50 pm »
On the subject of the rear suspension, it is indeed a torsion beam.
I got the official word back from Mazda, and included some images from them in the slideshow in the story.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 03:23:00 pm »
I thought the FWD CX-3s have Torsion Beam and the AWD CX-3s have something else.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 03:25:01 pm »
I thought the FWD CX-3s have Torsion Beam and the AWD CX-3s have something else.

That's what we were looking into. We thought that was the case, but it's not.
Turns out they both have a torsion beam, but the one in the AWD brings the springs further forward to make way for the driveshafts. There are pics in the article.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 03:26:36 pm »
AWD

FWD

That certainly isn't torsion beam.  See the springs?  This is more of a trailing arm suspension...

The horizontal member that you think is a torsion bar (I suppose it acts as such in a certain way) would be more of a stabilizer bar, while the coil springs are what provide the actual suspension of the weight of the car.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 03:30:08 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline CountOfGamble

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 03:34:05 pm »
Mazda defines this as torsion-beam suspension. I do see where you are coming from though.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 03:34:52 pm »
Mazda defines this as torsion-beam suspension. I do see where you are coming from though.

What he said. I also didn't think it fit the conventional definition so we got you those images so you could look for yourself. :)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 03:35:29 pm »
There are a few niggles popping up. For example, the navigation screen crashed on me while I was on the second of those road trips. Apparently turning off the car while I was mid-menu caused it to have a minor kerfuffle.
That's what happened in FMIL's.  It did not just come back on without dealership intervention, though.

Speaking of, Maddie pointed out that there are no cupholders for her back there. There’s no fold-down armrest or anything, the middle seat is simply solid. This and the lack of an armrest console are two “cheap outs” that I think are excessive.
It's funny - the rear seat thing I don't think I'd ever really notice.  My back seat passengers rarely use cupholders, etc. since I'm not a fan of people eating/drinking in any car I drive :P

...but, IMO, the armrest console is beyond reproach.

one spray of interior cleaner and a wipe with a microfibre cloth sorted the problem every time. Bill Clinton would have been home free.
:rofl:

Dirty.

Offline CountOfGamble

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 03:50:17 pm »
One thing that I agree on with Jacob that drives me bananas are the rear reading lights in my Mazda 3. I have two small kids and the ability to turn these on during night time is crucial. Coming from a MK6 Golf, you could turn these on independently in the back. The MK7 Golf has control for the rear reading lights in the back and in the front of the vehicle. My general nitpicks with Mazda 3 are unlit controls in the doors (save for one line for auto driver window) as well as the front dome light switches. Is this the case in the CX-3 as well? I luckily have both the front and rear armrests with cupholders.

In the 9 months of ownership the infotainment unit has only crashed once. Johnson Controls has done far from a stellar job on this. Pull out of Connected Services from North American market is another heated discussion that I would not like to go through again.