Author Topic: IIHS tests LATCH restraints in 100+ vehicles with new rating system  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

IIHS tests 102 vehicles and rates the LATCH system - only three receive top marks
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: IIHS tests LATCH restraints in 100+ vehicles with new rating system
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 02:47:32 pm »
Now please keep in mind, just because a vehicle receives a “poor” rating, it doesn’t mean your child is unsafe. It just means the LATCH system is difficult to install correctly, so if your vehicle is rated acceptable, marginal or poor, please consider taking your vehicle to a professional to verify you have been securing your child and their seat safely.
excellent concluding remark.  I agree wholeheartedly.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 02:56:41 pm »
Here the firefighters run a program a few times a year on the proper way to bolt the seat in your car and to properly harness your kid.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
IIHS tests LATCH restraints in 100+ vehicles with new rating system
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 08:32:59 am »
This is about the stupidest rating system.  They rate a minivan not at the top because the tether point is low.  Big f***ing whoop.  You can easily tether it by going to the third row, or from the hatch area if the seat is installed in the third row.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 08:33:47 am »
Here the firefighters run a program a few times a year on the proper way to bolt the seat in your car and to properly harness your kid.
This.  Even some specialty baby stores run a similar program.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 10:18:46 am »
What an odd list...

I've found the hardest part of a cart seat install is getting it tight enough, which tends to be a function of the car's size. I would wager that most folks would have an easier time installing a car seat properly in a Sienna than in a Focus.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:12:45 am »
Very strange list indeed.  I took my rear facing car seat, and forward facing car seat into Mazda.  Tried it on the 3 and the 6, I found the 6 much easier!   And they have it rated as poor? I have pulled them in and out in to my in-laws Escape, and my parents Sedona without a problem.  I do recall that my 2002 Nissan Sentra, was very difficult to remove the seat, the bottom (bite area) was so far under the seat cushion, very difficult to access. 

I hope this list isnt used as a benchmark for anything.  That the customer doesn't read too much into this.  Crash ratings at much more important...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 12:32:29 pm »
If kids ever happen for us....this is what I want  ;D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 04:19:44 pm »
The LATCH system exists to ensure that child safety seats are secured properly, that’s not to say alder vehicles not equipped with LATCH aren’t safe anymore. LATCH is just supposed to take eliminate the chances of incorrect installation.

odd for you guys to miss two mistakes that close... my morgan has a frame that is made of ash, but i think that's as close to an alder car as you will find. and "take" seems to have been left in the second sentence by mistake...

anyway, the issues are not with the latch systems... since when do parents get the pass and not have to actually put any effort into their kids safety? the ease of putting seats in should be rated, but it should just be which ones are easier... not some kind of doom and gloom issue where they make it seem that one is safer than the other.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Northernridge

Just for fun I searched vintage safety seats...  :rofl2:

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 02:06:03 am »
Very strange list indeed.  I took my rear facing car seat, and forward facing car seat into Mazda.  Tried it on the 3 and the 6, I found the 6 much easier!   And they have it rated as poor? I have pulled them in and out in to my in-laws Escape, and my parents Sedona without a problem.  I do recall that my 2002 Nissan Sentra, was very difficult to remove the seat, the bottom (bite area) was so far under the seat cushion, very difficult to access. 

I hope this list isnt used as a benchmark for anything.  That the customer doesn't read too much into this.  Crash ratings at much more important...

This is what they are saying if you look at the individual ratings:

Mazda 6:

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/6-4-door-sedan

It appears the Mazda 6 got hit really bad on the driver's side, which affected its rating.

Mazda 3:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/3-4-door-hatchback

It's rated as acceptable because the lower anchors are too deep in the seat.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 07:40:03 am »
^ Thanks for the link.  Still think it's dumb, as accessing the anchors on the drivers side is no different then the passengers side.   I don't find them deep, I don't want them sticking out.  They are about an inch in.  I would agree, if it was an inch, and below the seat cushion, angled down. But it's not.  Think they are being just a bit too picky.