Author Topic: Mercedes-Benz sketch previews compact GLC crossover  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Mercedes-Benz sketch previews compact GLC crossover
« on: June 15, 2015, 05:16:03 pm »
Full reveal happens later this week
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Mercedes-Benz sketch previews compact GLC crossover
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:07:58 am »
Mechanically, we expect the GLC to get the turbocharged 3.0L V6 that has replaced a naturally-aspirated 3.5L in several other Benz models; apparently, there will eventually be an AMG-tuned variant too, something we never saw from the GLK. Benz promises a segment-exclusive air suspension, and an up to 19 percent improvement in fuel consumption, though the question remains whether that applies to any engine that will be offered in North America.
Base engine = 2.1L Turbodiesel?

To get rid of that engine would be a HUGE mistake.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 10:00:51 am »
GLC?

Go home Mercedes, you're drunk.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:27:13 pm »
Let us take a moment to mourn the death of outward visibility in one more car.  :-[
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 05:10:36 pm »
Let us take a moment to mourn the death of outward visibility in one more car.  :-[
Truth :'(

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 05:27:00 pm »

I don't get this....no amount of blind spot or backup sensors beat good ol' fashioned visibility. If they are that worried about safety, maybe look into outward visibility.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:04:22 pm »

I don't get this....no amount of blind spot or backup sensors beat good ol' fashioned visibility. If they are that worried about safety, maybe look into outward visibility.

But glass is heavy...even thin glass.  Needs to be tinted where permitted and even then there are limits to the density of tint most places.   More glass increases solar load even if tinted which means A/C bigger which means worse economy.  Worse economy reverberates across a whole model range with the ill thought out CAFE which gets really tough over the next decade.   Cameras and blind spot electronics are cheap and easy.

The use of windows ( windscreen and rear window) as structural members mean that replacing glass with Lexan would be problematical...I wonder if Lexan might be too strong for a windscreen.

Personally I am in favour of big windows and big air conditioners.

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 06:46:18 pm »

Preach!  But please JY, take it one step farther.  Next time you are reviewing a vehicle, don't just say "well, the visibility is poor...but at least it has a back-up camera!"  Say "visibility is poor...and this is a deal-breaker."

TPL's covered a few of the reasons why MNFRs continue to move away from cars with good visibility.  Whether it's weight savings, cost constraints, passive safety concerns (sure as hell not active safety!), or simply STYLING - it's just too easy a decision for a MNFR to put visibility low down on the priority list.  And until they clearly hear that consumers really do want a car they can actually see out of, this trend will continue.

As a car reviewer,  let them know that visibility is extremely important.

And yes, I've put my money where my mouth is!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 08:02:27 pm »
And yes, I've put my money where my mouth is!
Forester owners (and boyfriends of Ladies who own 2011 Forester XTs) unite!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 10:01:11 am »
i'm with the others here...i know it's just an artists sketch, but come one...the rims are twice the size of the window height...sorry, but function and safety should be more important than jamming the biggest set of rims with skinny tires on the latest tarted up hatchback...i'll take a Forester XT thank you...at least you can see out of it.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 10:27:28 am »

But glass is heavy...even thin glass.  Needs to be tinted where permitted and even then there are limits to the density of tint most places.   More glass increases solar load even if tinted which means A/C bigger which means worse economy.  Worse economy reverberates across a whole model range with the ill thought out CAFE which gets really tough over the next decade.   Cameras and blind spot electronics are cheap and easy.

The use of windows ( windscreen and rear window) as structural members mean that replacing glass with Lexan would be problematical...I wonder if Lexan might be too strong for a windscreen.

Personally I am in favour of big windows and big air conditioners.
Lexan also scratches easily.  You'd still need some sort of glass layer to prevent scratching, especially here in AB where the windshields get sandblasted.  Even if you don't end up with a chip or crack, windshields have to be replaced every so often because of getting sandblasted/pitted.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 11:02:07 am »
^^^  Yes it does scratch and is nowhere near as clear as glass of course.