Author Topic: Comparison Test: Honda Odyssey vs Kia Sedona vs Toyota Sienna  (Read 22007 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Which minivan conquers our hearts and fuels our secret love of handling packages large and small?
Read More...

Offline AvgCdnMale

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Cadillac ATS 3.6
Re: Comparison Test: Honda Odyssey vs Kia Sedona vs Toyota Sienna
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:39:17 am »
Curious how the side-to-side sliding middle row in the Kia affects crash testing? Is it rated/tested with the seats in their "neutral" position?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 11:59:23 am »
As a long-term minivan owner since 2003 (two Odysseys and one MPV as 2nd car for a few years), after 6 seconds in the Kia I just said "No.", and so did a good number of dads around the van at the Auto Show in January. The Sedona has the same issue the Quest had: minivan exterior, SUV interior. People buy vans for the room and utility, not for their looks. Remove the ability to move from 1st to 2nd row, remove 3rd row room and make the 2nd row nearly unremovable and you have a terrible van. Had I been on that comparo, my scores would have sent the Kia deeper in 3rd place.

Just did a 1200km stint in my Ody, still don't understand the numb steering comment from Jacob (10.6 l/100km, loaded to the windows with cargo, through New England mountains).

Ody vs Sienna is pretty much a draw, and personal opinions will vary per trim. I loved the SE, but it was pricier than my Ody EX, while the price-matched Sienna LE looked much cheaper inside. The 'yota has a few flaws, like 3rd row hinges resting on the floor in the rear well, and poor storage prior to the recent redesign of the interior. I also don't like the grey plastics in the Honda, the reason why I got a black one - they come in taupe colour scheme, very Audi-esque in its difference from the usual beiges and greys (my previous Ody had the likewise unique olive interior).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline vert

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 330CiC
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 01:19:30 pm »
Did you really mean 'potted plant' in the Sienna review instead of 'pot plant'?
"Where the centre console cuts off the driver and passenger in the Kia, in the Japanese rigs there is a large space where a pot plant, a tote bag or a backpack can fit comfortably."

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 01:46:43 pm »
Ody vs Sienna is pretty much a draw, and personal opinions will vary per trim. I loved the SE, but it was pricier than my Ody EX, while the price-matched Sienna LE looked much cheaper inside. The 'yota has a few flaws, like 3rd row hinges resting on the floor in the rear well, and poor storage prior to the recent redesign of the interior. I also don't like the grey plastics in the Honda, the reason why I got a black one - they come in taupe colour scheme, very Audi-esque in its difference from the usual beiges and greys (my previous Ody had the likewise unique olive interior).

Ya I'm with BP on this one. Did Toyota finally re-engineer those hinges so they aren't "b@lls out" waiting to collect the sand from the stroller in winter and rain? That and the "details" like the unfinished carpeting around the AC vents in the rear.

I will concede the NVH though - I always found our EX was loud - something that should not happen in a premium priced vehicle. But really in a minivan with a couple of kids in it do you really think you're ever going to hear wind roar over the screams, cries and "are we there yet"'s ?! :)
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 01:49:37 pm »
I'm a member of the Canadian Dealer Auctions. This is the place dealers buy a good chunk of their inventory. This was an eye opener again on how far the Koreans still have to go. These two sold back to back recently.

2010 Kia Sedona EX, had 72,000 km, loaded with all options (DVD etc) clean carproof. The van was very clean. It sold for $5,500. I thought that was a steal.

2009 Honda Odessey LX, 177,000 km, steel wheels, basic options, one accident claim for $6,400. This van sold for $7,750!

Don't think anybody can come close to the gold standard Honda in minivan world.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 02:12:46 pm »
.. Remove the ability to move from 1st to 2nd row, remove 3rd row room and make the 2nd row nearly unremovable and you have a terrible van...

...still don't understand the numb steering comment from Jacob...

Ody vs Sienna is pretty much a draw, and personal opinions will vary per trim. I loved the SE, but it was pricier than my Ody EX, while the price-matched Sienna LE looked much cheaper inside...).
^^^
What the Bp said.

They grey in the Ody helps it look like brand new year after year. The covers are also removable and can be thrown in the washer.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 02:20:12 pm »
"Where the centre console cuts off the driver and passenger in the Kia, in the Japanese rigs there is a large space where a pot plant, a tote bag or a backpack can fit comfortably."

No, I mean pot plant.

pot plant
n
1. (Plants) a plant grown in a flowerpot, esp indoors

A potted plant is the same thing, obviously, but I've only ever heard and/or used "pot plant".

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 02:24:55 pm »

No, I mean pot plant.

pot plant
n
1. (Plants) a plant grown in a flowerpot, esp indoors

A potted plant is the same thing, obviously, but I've only ever heard and/or used "pot plant".

Haha ya that's funny because "pot plant":cp2: to me means something completely different than a "potted plant". :)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Honda Odyssey vs Kia Sedona vs Toyota Sienna
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 02:28:30 pm »

I'm a member of the Canadian Dealer Auctions. This is the place dealers buy a good chunk of their inventory. This was an eye opener again on how far the Koreans still have to go. These two sold back to back recently.

2010 Kia Sedona EX, had 72,000 km, loaded with all options (DVD etc) clean carproof. The van was very clean. It sold for $5,500. I thought that was a steal.

2009 Honda Odessey LX, 177,000 km, steel wheels, basic options, one accident claim for $6,400. This van sold for $7,750!

Can you buy me a car through it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 03:44:27 pm »

How about all of us?  ;D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 03:50:55 pm »

How about all of us?  ;D

he's in calgary, so I get to go first, right Revelation!?   six pack of your favorite beers for ya if you hook me up.  ;) ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 06:08:38 pm »
The Sienna would win the day for me, but as I could get one with AWD.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 08:25:17 pm »
a couple of my buddies have Siennas...pretty tough to beat in terms of quality, resale and $/cubic foot of space...that said, kudos to the Kia for hanging in there...since the scores are so close, it will come down to "what matters to you", rather than this one is better than that one.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 09:05:25 pm »
It would be a tough choice between the Odyssey and Sienna for me this gen. Previous gens, Odyssey for sure.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 09:22:34 pm »
The Kia is a budget van plain and simple and it shows.....Although admittedly KIA's are becoming over price budget vehicles.  You can't beat Honda and Toyota. I would be embarrassed if I arrived in a KIA anywhere.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 10:28:39 pm »
I'm just loving seeing you guys go from Hellcats and the like to Minivans!

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 10:48:34 pm »
The Kia is a budget van plain and simple and it shows.....Although admittedly KIA's are becoming over price budget vehicles.  You can't beat Honda and Toyota. I would be embarrassed if I arrived in a KIA anywhere.

I used to think the same way about Kia products. Buying one has really changed my mind about them.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline hbrother

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Honda Civic EX-L Nav, 2015 Honda Odyssey EX-L
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 10:56:00 pm »
One minor point of clarification regarding Kia's being the first application of adaptive cruise control in a minivan -- perhaps it was not offered north of the border but my recently departed 2004 Sienna XLE Limited had a fairly reliable and useful laser-based adaptive cruise system that even included a wiper-linked safety feature to prevent irresponsible cruise usage in wet conditions.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 10:46:33 am »

I used to think the same way about Kia products. Buying one has really changed my mind about them.
10 years ago, i wouldn't have bought a Kia product...but i bought one in 2012 and it has been great...no, it doesn't have the driving dynamics of a GTI, but it also didn't come with the GTI's $38k price tag either...it does its intended job, is affordable to maintain and run and has been trouble free.