Author Topic: Big Guy, Small Car Test Drive: 2015 Mini Cooper S 5-door  (Read 8651 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Big Guy, Small Car Test Drive: 2015 Mini Cooper S 5-door
« on: June 11, 2015, 06:31:04 am »

Dan Heyman can handle the Mini 5-Door, but can it handle him?
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Big Guy, Small Car Test Drive: 2015 Mini Cooper S 5-door
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:33:34 am »
Mini's are the type of vehicle that I always give a thumbs up to the person who drives it, but I'd never buy one because of the build quality and reliability.  Very fun vehicle and I totally get the appeal of them but for me I'll always go for a VW Golf or GTI.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:13:24 am »
I'll start the usual banter...

At $36k, why not get a GTI instead?  It's literally better in every way and yet, not even listed as a competitor.  Too big?  Fine, whatever.

I've never understood these 'fashion statement' cars.  I'm simply not willing to put up with over-the-top styling, awkward looks, squinty-happy headlights, sickening MB GLA-style tail lights, or other quirks "'cuz it's cute."  I'm certainly not willing to deal with 189hp out of a 2.0T when BMW's 2.0T (on which I'd assume this is based) makes gobs more power and yet returns what seems to be better fuel consumption.

I used to love the Mini, Cooper S circa 2003 in particular, which started in the low $20ks and had a supercharged engine.  At that time, xenon HIDs were a $500 option.  ...and yet, it was cute, quirky, and in every way better than these bloated disgraces to the brand.  I'm sure these new models are still a relative blast to drive, but I can't even look at one.  It went from being a toy to a "family" car.  I mean, seriously, what the :censor:?!

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 08:40:06 am »
The original Cooper S was just under $30k when it was launched. I know because I bought one, and my wife did, too, although before I met her (she still has hers). Xenons were standard on all Canadian cars, but optional in the US market.

I think the Cooper S engine is pretty much what you get in a BMW 320i (i.e. the 328i engine in detuned state). The base Cooper is much more fun to drive, with the added character of the fizzy three cylinder.

At $36k, why not get a GTI instead?  It's literally better in every way and yet, not even listed as a competitor.  Too big?  Fine, whatever.

I've never understood these 'fashion statement' cars.  I'm simply not willing to put up with over-the-top styling, awkward looks, squinty-happy headlights, sickening MB GLA-style tail lights, or other quirks "'cuz it's cute."  I'm certainly not willing to deal with 189hp out of a 2.0T when BMW's 2.0T (on which I'd assume this is based) makes gobs more power and yet returns what seems to be better fuel consumption.

I used to love the Mini, Cooper S circa 2003 in particular, which started in the low $20ks and had a supercharged engine.  At that time, xenon HIDs were a $500 option.  ...and yet, it was cute, quirky, and in every way better than these bloated disgraces to the brand.  I'm sure these new models are still a relative blast to drive, but I can't even look at one.  It went from being a toy to a "family" car.  I mean, seriously, what the :censor:?!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 09:08:52 am »
4 door hatch looks somehow weird.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline vasyapirh

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Lumina Z34, 90 Mazda 626, 92 Mazda Protege, 2004 Civic, 2013 MINI cooper, 2015 Caravan
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:22:14 am »

I've never understood these 'fashion statement' cars.

Exactly this. MINI looks way more interesting than a GTI. While GTI is arguably a "better" car it is quite boring imho. I would not look twice at one, and MINI always puts a smile on my face...

It is not a car for most (sensible) people, but it is a perfect car for some...

Offline vasyapirh

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Lumina Z34, 90 Mazda 626, 92 Mazda Protege, 2004 Civic, 2013 MINI cooper, 2015 Caravan
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 09:25:24 am »
I thought 5 door was 5 passenger? On Photos this looks like 4 passenger... this review here for example mentions 5 people: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-mini-cooper-5-door-photos-and-info-news
but in photos in this article it looks like only 2 seat belts at the rear...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 09:31:24 am »

I haven't driven this generation of Mini Cooper but the R56 is a lot more tossable and feels more connected to the road than the GTI does. It's certainly a compromise because the Mini is louder and rougher riding but obviously I can see the appeal of both cars.

I'm certainly not willing to deal with 189hp out of a 2.0T when BMW's 2.0T (on which I'd assume this is based) makes gobs more power and yet returns what seems to be better fuel consumption.

Who cares? 189 hp is obviously plenty in the Mini. Comparisons to the BMW (which in 320i guise has less power and starts at almost $10k more) are irrelevant.

I used to love the Mini, Cooper S circa 2003 in particular, which started in the low $20ks and had a supercharged engine.

The Cooper S has actually come down in price quite a bit. My '07 had a base price of $30,600 and the new one is $25,490.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 09:42:50 am »
They've done a nice job updating the mini - retaining much of the character, but giving the interior subtle 'grown-up' updates that make it more livable long-term. Overall I think it's a brilliant little car, but I see the 5-door as a bit of an oddly proportioned compromise. I'd either have the 3-door (for driving solo/commuting) or the Countryman if I needed to move people.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 10:20:04 am »
I was at the Mini dealer 2 days ago taking my GF's R53 in for the rust issue on the hatch, so I stopped to look at the new generation of Mini's and they're just ODD looking to me overall.  The first gen cars still look the best to me, the proportions are proper and they reflect the design of the original one the best.  The 2nd gen cars still look decent too, but this latest generation is too bloated and overstuffed looking.  And I know a lot of that is because of all the safety regulations crap we have with side impacts, side airbags, blah, blah, blah... all that crap... but what happened to actually being able to see out of the car so you can prevent getting into an accident in the first place!?!?  Whoah!  Just went off on a rant there, appologies   :o
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 10:41:17 am »
What, $36k for that homely looking little runabout!  No thanks!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 10:46:36 am »
So the shape is just all wrong, looks frumpy as all hell, the reliability is highly suspect and its $36k..... :rofl: If I ever wanted to drive a car thats the "LOOK AT ME I'M UNIQUE BUT OFFER LITTLE SUBSTANCE",the automotive equivalent of tiger print leather pants, I think I would rather go for a an old VW Beetle, at least thats cool and you can fix the whole car with an adjustable wrench and a common screwdriver.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 11:02:45 am »
Base price is excellent.  As mentioned Mini dropped their prices by 3-4 grand on the S models with the redesign.  A GTI equipped this way also pushes close to 40K. 

Offline Nuno

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1972 Austin Mini, 1989 Mini30, 2000 Ford Focus ZX3, 2003 Hyundai Accent GSi, 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2009 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 11:13:46 am »
I saw one the other day on the street and it just looked fugly, with the 5 doors it just looks out of proportion.

Offline Diesel Advocate

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
    • It's time for a Diesel Revolution!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 11:38:39 am »

Totally agree with this! I will however take it one step further and say that I haven't been able to look at one since BMW took over and destroyed the very concept of Mini. Shame really! Mini now; is just another fashion accessory for the new "YUPPIE" class.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 11:40:30 am »

Totally agree with this! I will however take it one step further and say that I haven't been able to look at one since BMW took over and destroyed the very concept of Mini. Shame really! Mini now; is just another fashion accessory for the new "YUPPIE" class.

Oh come on, the style over substance winner is still that man purse Evoque thing from Land Rover......

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 11:48:14 am »
Base price is excellent.  As mentioned Mini dropped their prices by 3-4 grand on the S models with the redesign.  A GTI equipped this way also pushes close to 40K.
A GTI loaded to the t!ts is $38,500 pre-tax, but destination in.  That includes the performance package, too.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 11:57:30 am »
I'd go for the GTI any day as well.  MINI Cooper only looks good in 3-door hatch format.

I've driven a base version as it was part of the ZIPCAR collection when I was living in DT.  It was fun to drive, go-cart on the street experience.  It would be fun for a day or two, but I couldn't live with that ride and noise every day.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 01:22:33 pm »
IMHO the 5-door body style just does not work, aesthetically. It looks like a caricature of a car.

For my Mini-money, I’d go for something like the old Clubman S I saw on the road a few weeks ago: all black, red roof + mirrors. Truly pne of the coolest cars on the road -- also maybe one of the least reliable, if all the chatter about reliability is true :(. But I'm kind of tempted to find out. I know the GTI would be better in nearly all measurable ways, but the Mini's cool- and feel-good factor could easily sway me.

Offline CAS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jetta VR6, GTI 1.8T, 330ci, RSX, SAAB 9-3 2.0T, '13 Accord 6-sp, '15 GTI 4dr w/6-sp
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 01:24:26 pm »
Just picked up a 2015 GTI with stick and I'm lovin' it.  I didn't consider Cooper because of reliability issues and noisier, harsher ride.