Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe XL; Day 1  (Read 9520 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe XL; Day 1
« on: June 10, 2015, 10:21:36 am »

The 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe XL, more than just a tailgate?
Read More...

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe XL; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 10:50:29 am »
Pricing: 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe XL Limited
Base Price: $43,299

Interesting to see this -
Options: None

My golf bud just bought one and I have been riding in it a fair bit.
Eerily quiet on the highway, good on gas for such a large vehicle and really goes when the gas pedal is pushed hard.

James - Interested in your thoughts on the ride on potholed, heaved pavement. Thanks.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:44:51 am »
Eerily quiet on the highway,
I was in one about a year ago, and despite the winter tires (clearly a contributor), I strongly disagree with your statement.  It was not loud, but it was not eerily quiet by any stretch of the imagination.

Hyundai advertises this as better than the competitions’ balancing act of kicking under the bumper (cough Ford cough). With this system you simply stand behind the vehicle and the hatch will open automatically after three seconds.
I also disagree with this.  Even though others say that they dislike how long it takes for a liftgate to open, I would rather open it while walking towards the vehicle rather than stand beside it for 3s.  If I'm holding something heavy, the last thing I want to do is stand there for 3 Mississippis.  The Ford kick isn't much better.  I just want something with a fob that has long-enough range.

Also, with this auto thing, you have to make sure that all doors are unlocked (so you have to use the fob any way), and I'd be afraid that if I stop to talk to someone in a parking lot or on my driveway before driving off, my trunk will just magically open without my wanting it to do so.  I don't view either as great options, but I would prefer Ford's to Hyundai's solutions.

I haven't tested in recent years, but historically, Hyundai/Kias have exceptional range on the fobs though, while Toyotas SUCK SOME SERIOUS POPSICLE  >:(  Especially Lexus.  "safety" feature, my a$$.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:47:28 am »
What?  The point is you can't reach for your fob because your hands are full.  You can still use the fob if you want.

And actually I believe the doors have to be locked for it to work, so, no if you are standing there talking to your buddy the trunk won't open.  It also beeps at you before it will open, I tested this in the Sonata I had a few months ago.

I'll have to refresh my memory on if the doors need to be locked or not locked though, I forget.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:52:40 am »
Wing, how comparable is the size of the SF XL to the MDX you drove last week?  Any significant differences?
I'm interested to read your thoughts on what the extra coin the MDX commands gets you compared to this Hyundai. Features? Ride and handling? Material quality?

Haven't seen too many of these on the road - lots and lots of new Pathfinders though.  I suspect Nissan's "value pricing", combined with Hyundai's slow creep up-market, would be a factor.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:53:54 am »
If its good enough for the Pope....  ;D

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 12:18:12 pm »
How does it compare with your Lexus  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 01:14:38 pm »
What?  The point is you can't reach for your fob because your hands are full.  You can still use the fob if you want.
I tried addressing both scenarios.

IMO, both 'solutions' (Ford's kick and Hyundai's "wait just onethree seconds!") are useless in the real-world.  If I'm carrying something as I approach, I don't want to hold it for 3s.  I don't want to lose my balance while trying to 'kick'.  The best thing to do is open it from far away and walk on over.  That's what I do with the RX, but the fob's range is limited.

I understand the "point" but if my hands are full, then I'm likely carrying very, very heavy things.  Waiting 3 seconds is not a good solution for me.

...and if the doors have to be locked, I'm not sure if that's better or not.  So if you lock your car, then stop to talk, your trunk could open?  Sure you'd be alerted that it's happening, but then you have to close it again.  I'm not convinced it'd be useful.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 01:22:30 pm »
Don't talk while standing directly behind the trunk?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 01:41:40 pm »
Don't talk while standing directly behind the trunk?
Compromise in lifestyle for no benefit in real world usage?

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 02:08:59 pm »
I call NoTo is just being cranky today. Have a Snickers.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 08:28:03 am »
I, indeed, was cranky yesterday.  Apologies all around.

First, let’s cover the automatic opening tailgate.
I see no downside to this. ... if you made it across the parking lot with your arms full, that three seconds will go by quickly.
I'll concede.  Thanks for the update :)

The third row is odd, the seats are really thin in order to save space, but they also sit very low, so you feel like you are sitting on the floor, and leg room is basically non-existent, but for kids in a pinch I suppose it works.
For my 10th year high school reunion, one buddy, whose mom has this exact car (albeit a 2014) drove 5 of us (5'7"-6'1")kiddies to schoolthe reunion.  I sat in the rear, 3rd row, right seat.  I had no issues with respect to space.  Now, I'm no giant, but it worked just fine.  I didn't even think about lack of space.  Getting in wasn't the easiest, though, but I still managed the feat in a suit - so it can't be that difficult.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 04:47:58 pm »
For persnickety lawyers (not naming names...  ;)) the Smart Liftgate system can be deactivated in the user settings. It's fob-only from there on in. See? Best of both worlds!
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 06:47:35 pm »
For persnickety lawyers (not naming names...  ;)) the Smart Liftgate system can be deactivated in the user settings. It's fob-only from there on in. See? Best of both worlds!

The term I would have used would have been more accurate, but less diplomatic.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 12:21:35 pm »
I'm surprised to read that it's so quiet on the road after reading from other reviews that it's relatively noisy. 

I'll have to ask my BIL who has the base model and see what he thinks.

I want that ventilated seat in the summer!  ;D

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 11:39:02 am »
Really positive Day 4 summary by James.

Remind me again why the MDX costs $20,000 more than the Santa Fe XL?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 12:11:08 pm »
Really positive Day 4 summary by James.

Goes with my general impression that these days you're often better off with high-end "regular" brands than going entry-level in premium brands. Example in case, from the awful Audi website, I get that one needs to climb up to 42k$ to get a rear-view camera in the A3 (base price: 31k$).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 01:23:49 pm »
this is well priced...! A comparable Explorer would quickly climb into the $50s - which goes to show how overpriced some Fords are without their 'incentives'.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 04:02:34 pm »
Goes with my general impression that these days you're often better off with high-end "regular" brands than going entry-level in premium brands. Example in case, from the awful Audi website, I get that one needs to climb up to 42k$ to get a rear-view camera in the A3 (base price: 31k$).
What the Santa Fe is missing over the MDX is the prestige nameplate and whatever that comes with or means to you personally.
Is that a comparison between both in the metal, or based on spec sheets?

I find that with the "prestige nameplate", you often get little niceties that are not listed on media pamphlets.  For example, my parents' RX and my girlfriend's Forester both have automatic climate control.  Are they equal?  Objectively, by no means whatsoever.  The Subaru will blow air at you immediately, even if the car is cold.  The Lexus?  It won't blow any air until it's warm (in the winter, at least - AC compressors are pretty quick!).

When you open the glovebox in both the MDX and the Santa Fe, do they 'feel' the same?  Do all buttons have similar feeling?  What of the headlights?  The MDX has LEDs, whereas the Santa Fe has Halogens (or in the loaded case, Bi-Xenons).

Are the AWD systems equivalent?  SH-AWD vs Haldex decoupling?  If I understand correctly, SH-AWD will help with performance on dry pavement, whereas the Santa Fe is a slip n' grip, predominantly FWD (and can, as mentioned, decouple the rear axle under light loads once already at speed to save fuel).

I can go out and buy a Kia Forte with heated rear seats, a feature that was once found only in $$$ Cadillacs.  Does that mean that the Cadillac is now overpriced?

I don't view the build quality, nor the amount of 'little things' (i.e. features) to be equivalent here.  Is it worth $20,000?  That's debatable - I would argue based on resale value alone that it is.  However, I do understand the point being made here...Hyundai has made a very, very good car here that is well-priced, even if it is a lot of money for what appears to be the value-oriented Korean-branded 'lesser' vehicle.  In that respect, I agree...but I do not agree with comments like these:

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 06:11:04 pm »
What the Santa Fe is missing over the MDX is the prestige nameplate and whatever that comes with or means to you personally.
Is that a comparison between both in the metal, or based on spec sheets?

I find that with the "prestige nameplate", you often get little niceties that are not listed on media pamphlets.  For example, my parents' RX and my girlfriend's Forester both have automatic climate control.  Are they equal?  Objectively, by no means whatsoever.  The Subaru will blow air at you immediately, even if the car is cold.  The Lexus?  It won't blow any air until it's warm (in the winter, at least - AC compressors are pretty quick!).

When you open the glovebox in both the MDX and the Santa Fe, do they 'feel' the same?  Do all buttons have similar feeling?  What of the headlights?  The MDX has LEDs, whereas the Santa Fe has Halogens (or in the loaded case, Bi-Xenons).

Are the AWD systems equivalent?  SH-AWD vs Haldex decoupling?  If I understand correctly, SH-AWD will help with performance on dry pavement, whereas the Santa Fe is a slip n' grip, predominantly FWD (and can, as mentioned, decouple the rear axle under light loads once already at speed to save fuel).

I can go out and buy a Kia Forte with heated rear seats, a feature that was once found only in $$$ Cadillacs.  Does that mean that the Cadillac is now overpriced?

I don't view the build quality, nor the amount of 'little things' (i.e. features) to be equivalent here.  Is it worth $20,000?  That's debatable - I would argue based on resale value alone that it is.  However, I do understand the point being made here...Hyundai has made a very, very good car here that is well-priced, even if it is a lot of money for what appears to be the value-oriented Korean-branded 'lesser' vehicle.  In that respect, I agree...but I do not agree with comments like these:

What NoTo just said.  I agree with all points.