Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 BMW i3  (Read 10283 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 BMW i3
« on: June 08, 2015, 06:28:14 am »

With its optional range-extender engine, the i3 electric car has a maximum range of about 240 kilometres, half that of a conventional car. But does it really matter?
Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2015 BMW i3
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:48:25 am »
A great first electric car design for BMW and they have placed themselves in a very good position to take advantage of electric drive and battery development.  No one else has their carbon fibre capability which gives them a huge advantage going forward.

The price seems pretty reasonable for the package and if you live in a major urban area, certainly this has to be all the car you need.  That said, heated seats and steering wheel should be standard on every electric car sold in this country.

Hopefully Canada will get its act together on expanding the national charging grid after this federal election.

Also, once you have experienced the incredibly tight throttle control in an ev due to the regenerative braking, it is hard to go back to a normal ICE throttle/brake system. 

Cheers,
John M.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:52:09 am by JohnM »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 07:28:09 am »
As a piece of technology fine.  But apart from that I don't see the point.    Why a 2 stroke for the range extender?  I believe 2 strokes are more difficult to emission control and I think one would have to either use premix or add oil on every fillup.  More complexity for no good reason and why not at least have enough power to totally recharge the battery by letting the engine run while the car is parked and locked...might not need the facility often but when you did.  I would think that a small modern 4 stroke, perhaps an even smaller version of Ford's  3 cycling would be suitably small and easier to manage...whatever.

Why weird tire sizes...unless it is to provide income for BMW dealers.

and so on.   I'd never consider one of these  EV/Hybrid vehicles but if a gun was put to my head I think I'd rather have a Volt or even a Prius.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 08:01:43 am »

The narrow tall tires make perfect sense since they are better aerodynamically and given the car's light weight will allow much better penetration on wet and snowy roads.  The large diameter allows the weight centre to be very close to the axle height and it also allows improved ride over say 15" diameter tires.  So both the handling and the ride qualities of a BMW will be largely preserved by this wheel and tire choice which had to be one of the first elements they locked into the design.

I love that aspect of the overall design.  As you point out, your tire shopping will be restricted to one phone call.

The engine choice does seem odd but if you look 3 years down the road where they might expect to have batteries with double the charge density, then the engine is a very easy item to dispense with.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 08:34:41 am »
I love that aspect of the overall design.  As you point out, your tire shopping will be restricted to one phone call.

That of course may change over time.

Offline MJMontreal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-19
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2013 Elantra GT, 2011 Yaris Previous: 2007 Caliber, 2005 Echo HB, 2003 Kia Rio, 2003 Focus, 2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf Diesel
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 08:50:55 am »
As a piece of technology fine.  But apart from that I don't see the point.    Why a 2 stroke for the range extender?  I believe 2 strokes are more difficult to emission control and I think one would have to either use premix or add oil on every fillup.  More complexity for no good reason and why not at least have enough power to totally recharge the battery by letting the engine run while the car is parked and locked...might not need the facility often but when you did.  I would think that a small modern 4 stroke, perhaps an even smaller version of Ford's  3 cycling would be suitably small and easier to manage...whatever.

and so on.   I'd never consider one of these  EV/Hybrid vehicles but if a gun was put to my head I think I'd rather have a Volt or even a Prius.

I think it's a two cylinder engine, not two stroke.

Offline vasyapirh

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Lumina Z34, 90 Mazda 626, 92 Mazda Protege, 2004 Civic, 2013 MINI cooper, 2015 Caravan
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 08:53:00 am »
Why did they make it a 4 seater!! there is potential for 6 seats.
If it had 6 seat belts I would buy one yesterday!

Offline AvgCdnMale

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Cadillac ATS 3.6
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 09:43:11 am »
I still don't get the "XXX lb/ft of torque at zero RPM" statement. The motor is not spinning while at 0 RPM, thus not producing
any torque whatsoever.

"XXX lb/ft of torque at 1 RPM" makes more sense to me.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 10:04:24 am »
I still don't get the "XXX lb/ft of torque at zero RPM" statement. The motor is not spinning while at 0 RPM, thus not producing
any torque whatsoever.

If motors don't produce torque at 0rpm, how do they start spinning?

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 10:34:24 am »
Sweet mary is this thing ugly and expensive......nope, the Volt is a much more attractive car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 10:34:33 am »

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 11:11:26 am »
I stopped reading on page 2.
Too many quirks with limited benefits.
Fast charging is only available with expensive BMW charging stations installed in my home. Does that mean I am stuck with this expensive equipment once I don't have the car anymore? Is it compatible with other makes/models from other manufacturers? How soon before I have to upgrade (because they decide to go to a new "generation" charging station and the plugs aren't compatible anymore). The 2-cyl engine won't keep up going uphill?
To me, it looks like an interesting concept car that is not ready for production because it falls short on so many things.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 01:05:11 pm »
any torque whatsoever.

An electric motor can still push even though it isn't turning.  ICE motors can't.  Torque is push and hp (Watts) is work being done.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 01:05:49 pm »
Too many quirks with limited benefits.
To me, it looks like an interesting concept car that is not ready for production because it falls short on so many things.
:iagree:, reluctantly.  I want so much to like this car, but I just can't.  So many compromises to be made.  Tires?  Well, if there's a monopoly on sizing, prices will be higher.  Getting in/out is difficult.  The REX is not a standalone, like the Volt (i.e. you can't use it as a regular hybrid while never, ever plugging it in - not saying someone would want to, but ideally you can drive a Volt so long as you can get to gas stations.  Not so with the i3).  Everything just seems to be half-baked, or made as a compromise just 'because' and just 'to be different.'

It's not for me.  Shame, since CFRP sounds incredible.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 02:32:55 pm »
I can see some of the objections but this is a future car, not the old normal with some nre technology.  It represents a clean sheet of paper design and as new technology in batteries is introduced, the i3 will be able to absorb it and keep gaining strength.  It is one of the most advanced packages ever offered and even more advanced in many ways than the Tesla. 

The Tesla has the advantage of looking normal and targeting conventional aspirations.  Ditto the Volt.  The i3 is the new normal and deals very well with what our needs and aspirations are likely to be in the coming decade.  This took lots of guts on BMW's part and should be applauded.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 03:06:10 pm »
.  The i3 is the new normal and deals very well with what our needs and aspirations are likely to be in the coming decade.  This took lots of guts on BMW's part and should be applauded.

Cheers,
John M.
I though the I3 look like the Element, which was a slow seller
This will not be a big seller , I not sure even if the dealer have i3  on the lot

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 03:29:25 pm »
.  The i3 is the new normal and deals very well with what our needs and aspirations are likely to be in the coming decade.  This took lots of guts on BMW's part and should be applauded.

Cheers,
John M.
I though the I3 look like the Element, which was a slow seller
This will not be a big seller , I not sure even if the dealer have i3  on the lot

I've seen one on the road. It certainly looked different. Metro-sexual would be one word to describe it which isn't everyone's cup of tea.
I also have mixed feeling about the REX I3 model. Sure, limited range is dealt with but at the expense of a heavier, slower and less nimble car, that also costs more. I'd agree with the half-baked comment here. As for the pure EV I3, the only thing wrong with it is timing, as in the battery tech is not quite there yet. First cell phones had the same slow start. However give it another 3 years and this feather light car will pack twice the battery at the same weight and won't need any extenders. I applaud BMW for the effort which in time will likely be profitable, while carbon fibre will no doubt be used to "add lightness" to their other cars.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 04:29:38 pm »
Holy crap, what's this supposed to be, the Ultimate Wart-on-Wheels? Oh well, it'll probably be the perfect feel-good toy for rich (and possibly vision-impaired... ::)) eco-weenies who want to draw maximum attention to themselves while saving the planet from the rest of us. I'd sooner be seen in one of these:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:36:23 pm by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 04:38:43 pm »
It it weren't for the dent in the hood, it would be perfect.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 05:19:02 pm »

Because of technicalities! ;D

Some form of rotation is necessary for an ICE to produce torque, unless you pre-load it perhaps with air/fuel and hit the spark. But that is a very specific case.

But for electric motors all we need is a little Maxwellian cos(w * t) :D
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!