Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Mazda MX-5  (Read 55235 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: First Drive: 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2015, 10:34:26 pm »
You did not miss it, it isn't in there.
Almost every single first drive event is pre-production, didn't think it needed spelling out.
Why? Is there some glaring issue that requires highlighting?

The glaring issue is the company often, as in almost always, throws a TUNE on the motor in this category of vehicle.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2015, 10:38:44 pm »
Almost every single first drive event is pre-production, didn't think it needed spelling out.

The glaring issue is the company often, as in almost always, throws a TUNE on the motor in this category of vehicle.

What are you basing that on?

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2015, 10:40:28 pm »
I've made the mistake repeatedly tonight of going back to this article, re-reading it, and clicking on the full sized version of the pictures. That feeling of excitement and discovery is starting to rear its ugly and expensive head. I want a 2016 Miata! Make mine white or green with that lovely light brown leather interior and matching roof. I can find no fault with this car. Mazda has captured the essence of a nimble, fun, gorgeous roadster. It will do more to sell their other vehicles than any amount of "Zoom, Zoom" or  “Driving Matters”. I can think of no better way to get through Canadian winters than to think of this prized gem in storage waiting to emerge to the sun-filled days of happy and enthusiastic motoring.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2015, 10:42:24 pm »

Maybe, but doubtful in this case. The engine is really not the star here so there's no point.
For what it's worth, I'm driving a CX-3 with a similar 2.0L four in it this week and the MX-5s we drove felt just a shade better than that - albeit through manual instead of an auto box. So I don't think these were particularly hot engines.
Anyway, I was surprised to learn the fact these were pre-production was not entirely obvious, so I added a line to the story. I'll make sure I do in future too.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2015, 10:43:27 pm »

I'd still take a used S2000 over any Miata.

I want both!  The Miata is a lot of fun and cheap to own and look after.  The S2K is a much more performance oriented machine (though the ND Miata sounds like it might be a much more worthy challenger...) but care and feeding is more expensive.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2015, 10:49:12 pm »

I have mentioned this before...I had a friend who worked in the dyno room at Ford and it was his job to do precisely this for press cars.  But it was far, far more than a simple tune. Every single engine component were weight matched perfectly (all pistons, connecting rods,valve train etc). All flash was removed from any cast areas to be perfect.  And the list goes on and on. While everything was indeed OEM, only the most perfect components were used off the line and the engine built as perfectly as an OEM engine could possibly be built.

Do I know if other manufacturers have done/do this?  No idea.  Would I be surprised if they did this?  Not in the least.  Do I think this practice still goes on?  Yes.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2015, 10:51:44 pm »

I want both!  The Miata is a lot of fun and cheap to own and look after.  The S2K is a much more performance oriented machine (though the ND Miata sounds like it might be a much more worthy challenger...) but care and feeding is more expensive.

Is it though?  The S2000 is pretty darn reliable and built to a very high standard.  I don't often read about the usual maintenance parts being obscene.

Didn't your dad have one? Was it that expensive to maintain?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2015, 10:57:20 pm »
Maybe, but doubtful in this case. The engine is really not the star here so there's no point.

Which is precisely why they may have tuned it to 93 octane.

Some preproduction units are tuned to mpg or towing and the press reports X results.  Then months later the production units arrive and results are not X, but Y.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2015, 11:01:06 pm »
Didn't your dad have has one? Was it that expensive to maintain?

Probably the most reliable high(ish) performance car sold - but yeah, still more than the Miata over time.  When I bought the Miata, no way to buy a cherry S2K for even close to what I paid for the Miata - so the higher initial price hurt - and the Honda is less DIY friendly (compared to the Miata) and parts/etc are more.  Modding of any sort is a lot more for the Honda.

No slamming the Honda - I love it, and still want one.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2015, 11:08:46 pm »

Probably the most reliable high(ish) performance car sold - but yeah, still more than the Miata over time.  When I bought the Miata, no way to buy a cherry S2K for even close to what I paid for the Miata - so the higher initial price hurt - and the Honda is less DIY friendly (compared to the Miata) and parts/etc are more.  Modding of any sort is a lot more for the Honda.

But the initial higher price does get you quite a bit more.  240HP for starters.   ;D  That alone would cost a few bucks to get a Miata to that HP level reliably.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2015, 11:46:53 pm »
nice looking little roadster...sadly, if you live in Ontario, the front end will get butchered once you slap a plate on it...they really need to remove the front licence plate requirement here...it's silly.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2015, 11:50:35 pm »
nice looking little roadster...sadly, if you live in Ontario, the front end will get butchered once you slap a plate on it...they really need to remove the front licence plate requirement here...it's silly.
This is true for so many Mazdas. It is best described as something akin to a bucktooth.

When I was in Montréal and Tremblant over the Christmas holidays, I pointed and laughed at all the Mazda3s from ON with a butchered front end  :P
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2015, 09:15:27 am »

I have mentioned this before...I had a friend who worked in the dyno room at Ford and it was his job to do precisely this for press cars.  But it was far, far more than a simple tune. Every single engine component were weight matched perfectly (all pistons, connecting rods,valve train etc). All flash was removed from any cast areas to be perfect.  And the list goes on and on. While everything was indeed OEM, only the most perfect components were used off the line and the engine built as perfectly as an OEM engine could possibly be built.

Do I know if other manufacturers have done/do this?  No idea.  Would I be surprised if they did this?  Not in the least.  Do I think this practice still goes on?  Yes.

I've read about Ferrari being fanatical about this type of stuff. Bringing 1 car for drag strip duty, another for track duty. Having to know the track ahead of time so that they could "prepare" the car. The weird thing is, why on earth did they bother? Things a freakin' Ferrari! I doubt folks would choose to buy a Z06 because it turned out the Chevy was a couple of tenths quicker around Streets of Willow. Do people even cross shop exotic cars?

Same thing applies here. What on earth is the MX-5 competing against that they'd have to tune the car? Also, what possible gain could they get out of a stock 2.0L motor?

Lastly, if you are too good at tuning the cars, you end up embarrassing yourself. Because owners can dyno their cars too. I know this happened a long time ago, but in 1999 Ford looked kinda silly with the SVT Mustang...

It is this last item that makes me suspect that there isn't a lot of tomfoolery going on with the cars. If you constantly had pre-production units offering performance that couldn't be matched by the retial versions, there would be hell to pay. My only concern with early products is that they give an inadequate/inconsistent impression on polish/NVH.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2015, 09:52:14 am »

Wow.  I never knew it went to that length.  I remember when Toyota brought out the MKIV Supra, their press preproduction cars were running a bit more boost and possibly a different state of tune.  It became pretty obvious later when instrumented tests on production cars wouldn't come close to the same numbers.

Doesn't surprise me in the least that the press cars would be ringers, but didn't realize how much some manufacturers put into it.

Offline ElectricMayhem

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +10/-69
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2015, 09:58:54 am »
It's cheap to buy.

I don't think it's that cheap to buy.  The middle spec one is over $40k after tax.

Yep.  Or any used Boxster.  I test drove an NC on the weekend - the lack of power was only partially redeemed by the RWD nature.  It is hard to get excited about a sports car with such anemic power to weight, in 2015.

Hey, look - two guys in a Miata:

https://youtu.be/2Lw6hkAztsc

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2015, 10:17:07 am »
The new MX-5 is barely slower than an S2000 to 60 MPH.

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2015, 10:35:01 am »

You really can't beat a Miata for a low maintenance sport car.  I've this one for 11 years and 148,000 km and have done basic maintenance including timing belt and plugs at 96k, plus front pads and rotors only.  Tires are another matter as I enjoy fast cornering.

In addition my car is the factory MSM turbo with a full Flying Miata exhaust and a few other goodies.  Having said that, I don't abuse my car at all and my car is in boost only when it is thoroughly warmed up and then for only a few seconds at a time.

I just drove it back from Florida this spring and drove at mostly 130 kph and never used any oil.

It's time for me to buy another car and I am considering  the 2016 Miata or a one or two year old Boxter.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:55:31 am by 99 Silver »
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2015, 10:43:56 am »
The new MX-5 is barely slower than an S2000 to 60 MPH.

Yep.  That with the fact the Mazda is easier to live with on a day-today basis and the much nicer interior, it appeals to me more than the S2000. 
And, every review I've seen gushes about the thing.  Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Re; comments about the white,  it looks like an off-white almost light grey to me, pretty sharp with dark grey/black wheels & black top.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2015, 11:01:35 am »
I'm really liking this color. Supposedly the same blue that's available on the 6.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2015, 11:13:21 am »
Speaking of colours, I wish Mazda had been more adventurous with their choices.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.