Author Topic: Stuff I see.  (Read 101056 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Stuff I see.
« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2019, 09:02:53 am »
Guy wanted a trade value... said it was driving great.
is that a separation right in the tread groove?...i don't think i've ever seen that.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2019, 09:35:03 am »
Yeah, made the mistake of putting my hand on it to emphasize the issue and had some of the metal pierce my hand... whoops.

People then are surprised when I dont give them clean blackbook value... first off, I rarely give that anyway, and second, if you dont even notice that tire, I'm scared of what other problems you ignore. That odd shift that feels like a slip?... meh, just got used to it... that knock over bumps? normal. That groan at highway speeds? Jeep thing I guess.

These are also usually the ones who respond (and sign off) that there are no accidents... then when I show the carproof with 2, "oh yeah! But I wasnt at fault"... I don't care, it still takes away value.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2019, 09:51:20 am »
Yeah, made the mistake of putting my hand on it to emphasize the issue and had some of the metal pierce my hand... whoops.

People then are surprised when I dont give them clean blackbook value... first off, I rarely give that anyway, and second, if you dont even notice that tire, I'm scared of what other problems you ignore. That odd shift that feels like a slip?... meh, just got used to it... that knock over bumps? normal. That groan at highway speeds? Jeep thing I guess.

These are also usually the ones who respond (and sign off) that there are no accidents... then when I show the carproof with 2, "oh yeah! But I wasnt at fault"... I don't care, it still takes away value.
But all those thing add value when you try to sell it on your lot
It adds  character to the car  :rofl2:

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2019, 10:02:06 am »
People literally try to tell me that... "it's got a new entire front end after the hit, and I just did the brakes myself last week. That should bring up the value".

Nope.

Had one two weeks ago... 325k on his accord. "But I just put in a new (used) motor a month ago, so it should be valued as having like 150k." Nope again.

Offline PoweredSilenceGT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-75
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2019, 10:01:23 am »
That odd shift that feels like a slip?... meh, just got used to it... that knock over bumps? normal. That groan at highway speeds? Jeep thing I guess.

Interesting perspective, when I mention these things to the service dept, they say the same thing - it's normal - LOL.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 29, 2019, 07:12:06 pm »
oh, I get that! they tell me the same thing sometimes... I was told to learn how to shift when my last one would "bump" out of fourth...

now that I have sold it to someone (and told them of the "character" of the tranny), suddenly it was found to be a serious enough issue and they put a whole new transmission in it under warranty.

about 20% of customer complaints are normal things that they just don't think are normal. and about 20% of service "unable to duplicate concern at this time" are them failing to look hard enough.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2019, 07:24:11 pm »
^^^Did you sell the Willy's?

Getting a Renegade?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #287 on: January 30, 2019, 12:53:34 pm »
"People don't need the government to tell them to look after their cars!"

And then I see a thread like this or \r\justrolledintotheshop on Reddit.  :o
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2019, 12:59:07 pm »
"People don't need the government to tell them to look after their cars!"

And then I see a thread like this or \r\justrolledintotheshop on Reddit.  :o

If only every car inspection program I've heard of is nothing but a money grab, I would totally agree with you.
Lighten up Francis.....

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 30, 2019, 01:01:32 pm »
The one in NB did the basics annually: lights, brakes, tires, exhaust, body integrity. It used to be $35. Not sure where it's at now.

It was done at private garages which had the appropriate licence.

Some people would cheat one way or other, but it was enough to keep rolling derelicts off the roads.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:03:13 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2019, 01:21:47 pm »
Here in Alberta the inspection is pretty basic for a newly insured cars but I have had several cars come back broken from the mechanics when getting safety inspection. Not a fan from that perspective.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 30, 2019, 01:29:10 pm »
Most (all?) of the dealerships could do inspections. Could get it done during an oil change.

It was a pretty well run program.

Saskatchewan only does inspections if a car is brought into the province. I'm not sure about title transfers. Those inspections are far and away more severe. They look at everything down to oil leaks, and they're done at SGI directly.

But then you could run the car into the ground on bald tires and no brakes, and never have to worry about it. So weird.  Fairly expensive program, and the only real effect is to keep used car prices high as it's a pain in the butt to import.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 30, 2019, 01:32:53 pm »
Most (all?) of the dealerships could do inspections. Could get it done during an oil change.

Saskatchewan only does inspections if a car is brought into the province. I'm not sure about title transfers. Those inspections are far and away more severe. They look at everything down to oil leaks, and they're done at SGI directly.

But then you could run the car into the ground on bald tires and no brakes, and never have to worry about it. So weird.  Fairly expensive program, and the only real effect is to keep used car prices high as it's a pain in the butt to import.

Yeah, it's like that here.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 30, 2019, 01:37:55 pm »

Yeah, it's like that here.

I haven't looked into it yet, so good to know. The biggest downside so far is front licence plates.  :P

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2019, 01:45:50 pm »
^^^ more details on importing a car to the province, and transferring the title:
https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/Reg-and-Ins/Registration/VSI/Pages/coi.aspx

This is what they look at in the inspection:
https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/Reg-and-Ins/Registration/VSI/Pages/coi.aspx

The nice thing is the inspection only costs $55 at any garage that offers it, and if your car fails, they let you fix it and return for a re-inspection at no extra charge.

Also,  Have fun insuring your motorcycle.  It is NOT going to be cheap!!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:47:22 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2019, 01:50:25 pm »
Good info. Thanks man  :thumbup:

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 31, 2019, 04:28:20 pm »

Getting a Renegade?

well, I do actually have a renegade... I sure wouldn't replace my willys with one though! that's just my wife's little runabout. my comment was about the last time I traded it in. I've had three willy's edition wranglers now!

if you mean a gladiator, that is possible eventually. we'll have to see!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2019, 04:38:25 pm »

Getting a Renegade?

well, I do actually have a renegade... I sure wouldn't replace my willys with one though! that's just my wife's little runabout. my comment was about the last time I traded it in. I've had three willy's edition wranglers now!

Crap, I meant a Gladiator, yeah.  Not sure how the hell I confused myself into talking about a Renegade. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2019, 09:56:59 pm »

Getting a Renegade?

I had a Willy's (1952) ....still regret selling it.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #299 on: March 05, 2019, 04:01:01 pm »
I just learned that there is no longer a set cost for a Certificate of Inspection (COI) in Manitoba. The cost is determined by the inspection station.  I checked with my garage and they charge a minimum of  $135.   
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson