Author Topic: Stuff I see.  (Read 101061 times)

Offline Jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
Re: Stuff I see.
« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2018, 08:58:53 pm »
Not buying anGC diesel...ever!!!
Quite a few vehicles require work like this to do engine work. Most Ford pick-up trucks require the cab to be lifted off to do a lot of engine work.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2018, 09:20:23 pm »
My Uncle had a V10 Touareg. Water pump began to leak and that requires engine removal as it's a the back of the engine. The estimate to bring that Vdub up to snuff was over 20K, plenty of ''while we're in there'' repairs were in that quote. He promptly sold it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 15, 2018, 10:28:31 pm »
My Uncle had a V10 Touareg. Water pump began to leak and that requires engine removal as it's a the back of the engine. The estimate to bring that Vdub up to snuff was over 20K, plenty of ''while we're in there'' repairs were in that quote. He promptly sold it.
VW charges 30 hours for removal/replace!

People in their own garage with no special tools can do it in about 10 or so.

Overcharge much?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

ltruong

« Reply #243 on: July 15, 2018, 10:42:57 pm »

Overcharge much?

I can see if you have a bunch of toys and a proper garage for mechanic but this is not the type of stuff you do with a six pack and my mastercraft kit.  You need air tools and whisky

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2018, 12:37:37 am »

Overcharge much?

I can see if you have a bunch of toys and a proper garage for mechanic but this is not the type of stuff you do with a six pack and my mastercraft kit.  You need air tools and whisky
back in the days, i worked at a machine shop where we rebuilt engines (among other things)...for a regular car (domestic, V6 or V8), you could drop it off at 8am and pick it up at 5pm...we'd pull the engine, strip it down to a bare block with every nut/bolt removed...acid bath, bore out the cylinder walls, replace all the main parts (cams, pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, water pump, lifters, full valve job, plane the head if needed) and put everything back together in a day...ah, the good old days.  :D
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2018, 12:43:43 am »

Overcharge much?

Yeah, that V10 TDI was quite the marvel back in the day but big $$$ if anything needs doing. Way over the top in complexity. I remember talking to a VW tech a few years back and he told me the engine quite often would need to be removed to do repairs.

I wonder if the GC with the turbo issue was one of the older Mercedes powered units or a newer Ecodiesel?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 12:46:19 am by marcus_go »

ltruong

« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2018, 09:46:32 am »

Overcharge much?

back in the days, i worked at a machine shop where we rebuilt engines (among other things)...for a regular car (domestic, V6 or V8), you could drop it off at 8am and pick it up at 5pm...we'd pull the engine, strip it down to a bare block with every nut/bolt removed...acid bath, bore out the cylinder walls, replace all the main parts (cams, pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, water pump, lifters, full valve job, plane the head if needed) and put everything back together in a day...ah, the good old days.  :D

Nice!  back in the days I've help put in or removed quite a few engine off American sport cars or trucks.  They were easy to work on since you had so much room under the hood.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2018, 06:38:58 pm »

Overcharge much?

Nice!  back in the days I've help put in or removed quite a few engine off American sport cars or trucks.  They were easy to work on since you had so much room under the hood.
yea, most of the vehicles we did were mid to late 80s domestic vehicles...Olds, Chevy, Buick  sedans with V6 engines...Blazers with V6s...pick up trucks with Ford or Chevy V8s...the parts were easy to get and relatives cheap...we could get all the needed parts for a 350 Chevy for about $300.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #248 on: July 28, 2018, 04:44:53 pm »
Not buying anGC diesel...ever!!!
Quite a few vehicles require work like this to do engine work. Most Ford pick-up trucks require the cab to be lifted off to do a lot of engine work.

Yeah, they are pretty much a cabover, without the handy access plate on the inside of the cab.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #249 on: July 28, 2018, 05:58:53 pm »
I would what it was to work  on the old vans , when the engine was in in side the passenger area  ???

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #250 on: July 30, 2018, 01:30:42 pm »
Lol oh Previa.

Thankfully with the 2nd gen Previas that never made it to North America, they moved the engine to the front, although still not nice to work on. You thought the rear spark plugs in the Sienna was difficult to get into?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 30, 2018, 01:40:43 pm »
Pretty much any V6 minivan is not nice to change the rear spark plugs.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2018, 01:52:04 pm »

unless it's benz and its longitudinal engine. 

but yeah, agree.  chevy venture was the worst car i've ever worked on.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 30, 2018, 01:53:25 pm »

unless it's benz and its longitudinal engine. 

but yeah, agree.  chevy venture was the worst car i've ever worked on.

The Benz probably has at least three special tools required though!  ;D

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #254 on: July 30, 2018, 03:37:21 pm »
Had a previa years ago. One of my favorite minivans just for its uniqueness. Noisy, underpowered, and always felt like tipping over but it was reliable.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #255 on: July 30, 2018, 03:47:03 pm »
Until the head gasket went.  ;D Typically north of 300,000km.

Offline Jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2018, 09:13:44 pm »

Overcharge much?
I was curious about this, so I looked up the labour time. We use Identifix which has Chilton and Motor labour times. Labour was 4.7hrs. The water pump is listed as being in the front of the engine. Now I have never seen a VW V10 TDI so I have no idea if this is correct,but Identifix does use the manufactures service manuals.

Offline Jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 30, 2018, 11:20:15 pm »
Lol oh Previa.

Thankfully with the 2nd gen Previas that never made it to North America, they moved the engine to the front, although still not nice to work on. You thought the rear spark plugs in the Sienna was difficult to get into?

I was at an event this weekend with my Miata club sponsored by Hagerty. It was to get young drivers interested in driving manuals. Anyway, there were not one, but four of these MGFs. Never seen or heard of them before. It is a mid engine. The opening is about big enough to add oil. I suspect most any engine work would involve engine removal.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2018, 10:34:31 am »
i had an old Chevy van back in the day (i think it was a 1980 model)...the "hood" was about a foot long and the engine was essentially where your cup holders are in a modern car (somewhat between the seats, but a bit more forward)...i can't imagine that was easy to work on.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 31, 2018, 10:43:42 am »
Those MG Fs were very cool.

Speaking of easy to work on. I was bolting in the brake master cylinder into the 61 Pontiac for the last time I hope. Two of the bolts are hard to reach. I had to climb into the engine bay and rest my knee on the valve cover to get to them. My wife walks in the garage and says "I thought that car was supposed to be easy to work on".  ;D