Author Topic: Auto Tech: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) Crash Testing  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Chris watches the IIHS smash a car and dives into their evolution and efforts to improve safety on the roads.
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Wow, Chris, this is an amazing article!  Right up my alley in terms of interests.  Getting to watch a crash-test in person?  That must have been a great experience for you!  True jealousy right here.

I've long been a proponent of the IIHS, finding that it effects positive change on the manufacturers.  That it maintains a "wall of shame" is incredible to me.  I hope it continues on forever to show just how far crash-test safety has become.  Even when cars are autonomous and collisions are a thing of the past, it'll make for a great museum.

Wonderful, wonderful article!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Great article. I also find this stuff fascinating.

Good to see facilities like the IIHS forcing change in the automotive industry.

The IIHS is a good facility probably only bested by Volvo's saftey centre. http://www.driveandstayalive.com/Info%20Section/crash%20testing/crash-testing-centers_volvo.htm

I found this line to be funny. "Ribs in the torso often break during the side crash test, but cost “only” $30,000 for a full set.". Is that all ! Guess the price for ribs has really come down.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/05/volvo-cars-crash-test-lab-celebrates-10-years-of-controlled-chaos.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:19:52 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Just waiting for the argument that none of this would be needed if drivers were properly trained and sufficiently skilled.

Enjoyed the article.  Nice job.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
This trip and facility were amazing.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Just waiting for the argument that none of this would be needed if drivers were properly trained and sufficiently skilled.

Enjoyed the article.  Nice job.

::)

While yes, if everyone had better training and cared about driving cars wouldn't need as many levels of protection.....accident protection is always a good thing. Saying that, if every car had roll cages, race seats, harnesses, fuel cell and on board fire suppression (think Dakar or WRC), this whole crash test business would be a lot easier  ;D

Great article, I would love to see some crash tests live, I like this kind thing. Occupant survival would be an interesting field.
Lighten up Francis.....