Author Topic: Freightliner Inspiration is the world's first licenced autonomous semi-truck  (Read 7191 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Freightliner Inspiration - world's first legal autonomous semi-truck comes online

Read More...

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
My reaction to this is something that's been outside the discussion of autonomous car operation. The issue is driver safety.

Large trucks, although they look rugged, are pretty flimsy in terms of driver protection.  These vehicles are top heavy, and an upset at any speed often means a driver fatality.  Have a look at any semi truck that catches fire. Most of the cab just disappears and the highest thing left is the frame of the driver's seat.

While probably a lot could be done to protect the drivers, it seems like nothing beyond seatbelts has been done.  The industry doesn't seem to value drivers' lives enough to put the money into safety structures and systems.  The physics involved makes adequate protection a challenge.  And the drivers themselves would rather spend money on lights and chrome than safety systems.

Preventing crashes to begin with seems like the best approach, and, setting aside the "thar be dragons" worries about them running amok, these systems can only help prevent crashes.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
First of all, this is no 'autonomous' vehicle,  it's semi-autonomous at best.

Second is this, and it's a biggie - ' In emergency situations, for instance, the driver is alerted to take the wheel.'

Sorry, but I want the driver's hands on the wheel ALL THE TIME. If he's half asleep because he's got nothing else to do, all the emergency alarms in the world ain't gonna help, and that doesn't even consider the driver's reaction time or lack thereof under normal circumstances. Big transport trucks are much more of a threat to other drivers and this frankly scares the crap outta me. :o
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:54:48 pm by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1215
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
A Semi-Truck?  ???

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
A Semi-Truck?  ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-trailer_truck

In North America, the combination vehicles made up of a powered truck and one or more detachable trailers, are known as semi-tractor-trailers, tractor-trailers, semis, big rigs, semi trucks or eighteen-wheelers.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
My reaction to this is something that's been outside the discussion of autonomous car operation. The issue is driver safety.

Large trucks, although they look rugged, are pretty flimsy in terms of driver protection.  These vehicles are top heavy, and an upset at any speed often means a driver fatality.  Have a look at any semi truck that catches fire. Most of the cab just disappears and the highest thing left is the frame of the driver's seat.

While probably a lot could be done to protect the drivers, it seems like nothing beyond seatbelts has been done.  The industry doesn't seem to value drivers' lives enough to put the money into safety structures and systems.  The physics involved makes adequate protection a challenge.  And the drivers themselves would rather spend money on lights and chrome than safety systems.

Preventing crashes to begin with seems like the best approach, and, setting aside the "thar be dragons" worries about them running amok, these systems can only help prevent crashes.

Freightliners are by far the worst offender for flimsy build. However, in the big truck world weight savings is paramount, leaving not much concern for safety. Volvo (of course) is the safest truck on the road.

I really think any type of autonomous class 7 truck is a bad idea. It's hard enough to find qualified drivers worth a S%$! these days, this will bring a new breed of drivers barley qualified enough to be anything more than just a steering wheel holder. 80,000 lbs of rig should not be autonomous in any way imo.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
the big news here is that a regulator, to wit, the State of Arizona, is ok with it.  That's huge.  The technology is secondary.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
the big news here is that a regulator, to wit, the State of Arizona, is ok with it.  That's huge.  The technology is secondary.

And we all know how well Arizona regulates guns. Be afraid, be very afraid... :o

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

And we all know how well Arizona regulates guns. Be afraid, be very afraid... :o
...and immigrants.   ::) ::) ::)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

What do you mean?? I thought Arizona has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
What do you mean?? I thought Arizona has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.
Arizona SB 1070

U.S. federal law requires all aliens over the age of 14 who remain in the United States for longer than 30 days to register with the U.S. government, and to have registration documents in their possession at all times; violation of this requirement is a federal misdemeanor crime. The Arizona act additionally made it a state misdemeanor crime for an alien to be in Arizona without carrying the required documents, required that state law enforcement officers attempt to determine an individual's immigration status during a "lawful stop, detention or arrest", when there is reasonable suspicion that the individual is an illegal immigrant.

In simpler terms, all immigrants must carry 'papers' with them.  A police officer can look at you and say, "show me your papers," and if you don't have them, you will be arrested.  It in essence allowed police to racially profile in asking anyone who looked "illegal" to produce their papers.  Who, in Arizona, looks illegal?  Every latino or latina?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
I see your point about profiling NoTo but a country must keep the right to examine any person within its borders to determine if they are allowed to be there.
FWIW the UK has the same problem with its own Supreme Court AND the European Court of Human Rights saying that it may not do these checks.   The UK has no requirement for anyone to carry 'papers'.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Arizona SB 1070

U.S. federal law requires all aliens over the age of 14 who remain in the United States for longer than 30 days to register with the U.S. government, and to have registration documents in their possession at all times; violation of this requirement is a federal misdemeanor crime. The Arizona act additionally made it a state misdemeanor crime for an alien to be in Arizona without carrying the required documents, required that state law enforcement officers attempt to determine an individual's immigration status during a "lawful stop, detention or arrest", when there is reasonable suspicion that the individual is an illegal immigrant.

In simpler terms, all immigrants must carry 'papers' with them.  A police officer can look at you and say, "show me your papers," and if you don't have them, you will be arrested.  It in essence allowed police to racially profile in asking anyone who looked "illegal" to produce their papers.  Who, in Arizona, looks illegal?  Every latino or latina?

I was talking about their gun laws....as for their immigration laws, do you know the situation that has caused them have these draconian laws??

Offline mnztr

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: SAAB 9-5 Mazda MX-5 Ducati MNZTR
For now they are pandering to the unions. But how long before truck drivers are no longer needed?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I was talking about their gun laws....as for their immigration laws, do you know the situation that has caused them have these draconian laws??
I don't deny that there's an issue - and the legislatures have since effected some changes to reduce random racial profiling, but it does still put a target on anyone who looks Hispanic.  What are 'papers', though?  A passport?  A driver's licence?

I can start a new poll-thread on this question, but do you always carry ID on you no matter where you go?  I drove to Guelph yesterday and totally forgot that I left my wallet in the Corolla (I took the RX).  Drove without a licence the whole way, didn't have a credit card for gas, etc.  Not ideal, and certainly not something I had planned.

...but imagine if I was Hispanic, driving in Arizona, and got pulled over because of the way I look (even if driving 100% properly), and though I had my driver's licence, I didn't have my 'papers' because I forgot them in the other car, in the house, etc. - it'd be awful.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I don't deny that there's an issue - and the legislatures have since effected some changes to reduce random racial profiling, but it does still put a target on anyone who looks Hispanic.  What are 'papers', though?  A passport?  A driver's licence?

I can start a new poll-thread on this question, but do you always carry ID on you no matter where you go?  I drove to Guelph yesterday and totally forgot that I left my wallet in the Corolla (I took the RX).  Drove without a licence the whole way, didn't have a credit card for gas, etc.  Not ideal, and certainly not something I had planned.

...but imagine if I was Hispanic, driving in Arizona, and got pulled over because of the way I look (even if driving 100% properly), and though I had my driver's licence, I didn't have my 'papers' because I forgot them in the other car, in the house, etc. - it'd be awful.

Its very seldom that I forget my wallet at home, but when I do, I have an anxiety attack thinking "what if I need money....or my Canadian citizenship?!?!". Its silly, but I hate to not have any documentation on me. With the huge issues they've had with illegal immigration they've had there, I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would have a problem with it, if you are legal and have the papers, whats the problem??

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos

I always have my wallet with D/L , CC and some , but usually not much money when I leave the house.  I think that chances of being asked for my 'papers' in Guelph are zero.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would have a problem with it, if you are legal and have the papers, whats the problem??
The issue is that you can be stopped solely because you look like you may be illegal.

If the officer has the suspicion that you're illegal, do you think that stop is going to be as short as "can I please see your ID, Sir?"

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would have a problem with it, if you are legal and have the papers, whats the problem??
The issue is that you can be stopped solely because you look like you may be illegal.

If the officer has the suspicion that you're illegal, do you think that stop is going to be as short as "can I please see your ID, Sir?"

Absolutely, why wouldn't it be?? Its like a checkstop, blow in the machine, you are good, have a goodnight. Here, show your ID, have a good day.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Absolutely, why wouldn't it be?? Its like a checkstop, blow in the machine, you are good, have a goodnight. Here, show your ID, have a good day.
Let's try that again.

...if an officer is going to racially profile you, what makes you think the stop will be short and absent any harassment?