Author Topic: Freightliner Inspiration is the world's first licenced autonomous semi-truck  (Read 7189 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would have a problem with it, if you are legal and have the papers, whats the problem??
The issue is that you can be stopped solely because you look like you may be illegal.

If the officer has the suspicion that you're illegal, do you think that stop is going to be as short as "can I please see your ID, Sir?"

Absolutely, why wouldn't it be?? Its like a checkstop, blow in the machine, you are good, have a goodnight. Here, show your ID, have a good day.
Let's try that again.

...if an officer is going to racially profile you, what makes you think the stop will be short and absent any harassment?

Why not?? Sorry, Im not one of those people that believe that cops always have nefarious reasons for a stop. What makes you think that it would be anything else but an ID check??

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
What do you mean?? I thought Arizona has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.
Arizona SB 1070

U.S. federal law requires all aliens over the age of 14 who remain in the United States for longer than 30 days to register with the U.S. government, and to have registration documents in their possession at all times; violation of this requirement is a federal misdemeanor crime. The Arizona act additionally made it a state misdemeanor crime for an alien to be in Arizona without carrying the required documents, required that state law enforcement officers attempt to determine an individual's immigration status during a "lawful stop, detention or arrest", when there is reasonable suspicion that the individual is an illegal immigrant.

In simpler terms, all immigrants must carry 'papers' with them.  A police officer can look at you and say, "show me your papers," and if you don't have them, you will be arrested.  It in essence allowed police to racially profile in asking anyone who looked "illegal" to produce their papers.  Who, in Arizona, looks illegal?  Every latino or latina?

Yeah, it basically means they can demand your papers, even if you are a US citizen, because either you prove your citizenship, or they lock you up.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would have a problem with it, if you are legal and have the papers, whats the problem??
The issue is that you can be stopped solely because you look like you may be illegal.

If the officer has the suspicion that you're illegal, do you think that stop is going to be as short as "can I please see your ID, Sir?"

Absolutely, why wouldn't it be?? Its like a checkstop, blow in the machine, you are good, have a goodnight. Here, show your ID, have a good day.
Let's try that again.

...if an officer is going to racially profile you, what makes you think the stop will be short and absent any harassment?

Why not?? Sorry, Im not one of those people that believe that cops always have nefarious reasons for a stop. What makes you think that it would be anything else but an ID check??

Sent from my Galaxy S3

So you're saying you should have to carry your identity papers even if you're a citizen, because you might be asked for them?  Even when you're not driving?

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary

Let's try that again.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Things are a bit off in Arizona, at least in Maricopa County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
As for the autonomous truck, sounds like Sarah Connor is about to get a house call. ;D