Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i  (Read 15936 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 10:15:39 pm »
Some things in the article really got my attention:

While fuel efficiency is some consolation, 10.4 L/100 km isn’t necessarily enough to give the Forester a pass.
I have driven my '09 at high speeds (we do have 120 legal here you know  ;) ) in winter conditions and with winter tires and did not get that bad; and the new CVT is supposed to give much better fuel consumption than the old 4 speed AT.  Heck, I can get that at 120 on the Coq, going up 8% grades  :-\

While it doesn’t have the same sharp instincts as the turbocharged and sport-sprung XT,....
Good to know as the XT is what I am looking at  :).  I was not sure if the XT actually had a different suspension set up as the specs are a bit weak on that point in the brochure.

lacks ... xenon headlights (and the halogen’s performance was mediocre at best)
Also good to know as I drive a lot in the dark, and have found my '09s to be some of, if not the, best headlights I have ever used.

Rear seats are spacious as well, and though fixed (no tilt or slide)
The brochure says the rear seat backs do recline (tilt?) on the Touring trim; they do with my '09 and the kids really like that feature.

the Forester must have the slowest power-opening tailgate ever....
I noticed this too and what a turn off that is.  Subaru, if you insist on giving functions like this (I could do without it really) then make it work like it should.

Subaru can and does do better, and we expect that a refresh will address these points.
So when is the refresh that will actually deal with some of these issues?  For the 2016 as NoTo's source is suggesting?  Or the next generation in 3 years or so?

Thanks for a straightforward review, it is much appreciated.  An interesting comparison would be this vs the XT Limited to see if the extra cost is worth it.  NoTo seems to think so.

I don't get why the models with the sunroof are listed at 892L capacity, whereas without it they have 974L. 
My '09 has the large sunroof and there is a bump down in the passenger area in the headliner; and as it goes over the rear seats, then I can see why there is a decrease in volume.  There is even different versions of the guard depending on if you have the sunroof or not.  May be the same with this one too?

2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 08:58:23 am »
the rear seats don't slide, but the do tilt (recline). There's a strap to pull on the sides to do so.

you are correct, sir! I must have thought the strap was only a full release, and not for a variable recline.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 09:05:47 am »
This Forester was part of the recent CUV comparison that I was involved with. The comparo's are typically two day affairs - at the end of Day 1 it's easier to grab one of the testers and take it home for the night than to drive back to the parking garage to fetch your own vehicle.  So, at end of Day 1 the group is milling about deciding who is taking what.

Jonathan,  I apologize.  Sorry for whatever it was I did. 

Because, on this day Jonathan points towards the Forester with a small smirk on his face.  That's my ride for the night.  Nice change from the Crosstrek, eh?
Just kidding of course, but a bit amusing that I'm given the vehicle Mr. Senior Editor disliked on the highway & I have about 150 or so km's to drive on that same highway.... hmmmm....  :P

I didn't find the Forester all that loud on the 401 - in fact is is noticeably quieter than the Crosstrek.  I guess I'm just used to 'the Subaru way'.
Those kitchen sponge grade seats do suck though.

I thought you at least would like it... i did try to make Laurance take it for the weekend if that makes you feel any better...  :D

i think there are likely other vehicles with higher volumes of noise out there, but the pitch and quality of the noise was simply intolerable for me, and a constant aggravation. i had the same reaction to a different type of noise in a different type of car - the Genesis 3.8 R-Spec, with an upgraded exhaust that has a horrendous drone that absolutely killed me - some people love that one, but i found it nothing but annoying. how anyone can tolerate it or this is beyond me. I could never that level of constant nuisance in a vehicle I owned - I'll take a constantly glowing CEL over this anyday... In contrast, i love the thrum of the WRX engine note/exhaust - it ain't quiet like a GTI, but it's a sound that gives me happy thoughts and feels.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 10:38:12 am »
I thought you at least would like it... i did try to make Laurance take it for the weekend if that makes you feel any better...  :D

Oh, OK then.
I'm sure you'll find a way to make it up to me.   ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 03:47:44 pm »
An interesting comparison would be this vs the XT Limited to see if the extra cost is worth it.  NoTo seems to think so.
2.5iTouring Packagewith Technology Option
Automatic Transmission

MSRP:$32,495.00
Added Accessories:$0.00
PDI & Freight$1,650.00
Other Fees$331.15
Estimate Price:

$34,476.15* *excluding taxes

2.0XTLimited Packagewith Technology Option
Automatic Transmission

MSRP:$37,895.00
PDI & Freight$1,650.00
Other Fees$331.15
Estimate Price:

$39,876.15* *excluding taxes

$5,400 is the difference in price between the two.  For it, you get:
1) Larger brakes (front (316 x 30 mm vs 294 x 24 mm); rear (278 x 18 mm vs 274 x 10 mm))
2) FA20F (2.0L Turbocharged boxer) instead of the FB25 (2.5L naturally-aspirated); power jumps from 170hp to 250hp; Torque from 175lb-ft to 258lb-ft)
3) SI-drive on the CVT
4) sportier bumpers
5) integrated LED turn signals in the mirrors
6) auto dimming side mirrors with approach lighting
7) Dual exhaust
8.) HID headlights
9) 18" wheels instead of 17"
10) better HMI system (well, 'better' is relative ;D), including navigation
11) Satellite Radio
12) Harman Kardon upgraded soundsystem
13) Auto dimming rear mirror
14) Driver seatback pocket (how nice of Subaru to include this in the top limited trim  ::))
15) Better gauges
16) leather (all around, incl steering wheel and shifter)

I literally went through the spec sheets on both and compared.  So is it worth the $5,400?  HELL yes.  It's not even a question.  The Limited trim, to me, is more important than EyeSight.  Use your $ as you choose.

2.5iLimited Package
Automatic Transmission

MSRP:$34,495.00
PDI & Freight$1,650.00
Other Fees$331.15
Estimate Price:

$36,476.15* *excluding taxes

That, to me, is the "I don't need the Turbo" model to get.  While I like EyeSight (a lot, actually), I'd (honestly...) sooner spend the $ on the interior than on the safety nannies and the Turbo motor.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 04:30:58 pm »
An interesting comparison would be this vs the XT Limited to see if the extra cost is worth it.  NoTo seems to think so.
I literally went through the spec sheets on both and compared.  So is it worth the $5,400?  HELL yes.  It's not even a question.  The Limited trim, to me, is more important than EyeSight.  Use your $ as you choose.

2.5iLimited Package
Automatic Transmission

MSRP:$34,495.00
PDI & Freight$1,650.00
Other Fees$331.15
Estimate Price:

$36,476.15* *excluding taxes

That, to me, is the "I don't need the Turbo" model to get.  While I like EyeSight (a lot, actually), I'd (honestly...) sooner spend the $ on the interior than on the safety nannies and the Turbo motor.

Thanks for the comparison of features, on paper it makes a lot of sense.  What I was wondering if in real world driving the extra is worth it, especially with the issues brought up in the review.  That kind of comparison is what I was thinking of!  Another chance for you to get some driving (and writing? ) in  ;)

Anyway, I got my mind set for a XT Ltd, with EyeSight.  Now waiting to see what the '16s will have for features.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 05:01:03 pm »
Thanks for the comparison of features, on paper it makes a lot of sense.  What I was wondering if in real world driving the extra is worth it, especially with the issues brought up in the review.  That kind of comparison is what I was thinking of!  Another chance for you to get some driving (and writing? ) in  ;)

Anyway, I got my mind set for a XT Ltd, with EyeSight.  Now waiting to see what the '16s will have for features.
I getchya.

IMO, the brakes, suspension, and throttle tip in are worldly better in the XT than in the 2.5i. 

...but what matters the most is just how upscale vs low-rent the two trims differ in feel once you're seated.  It's night and day.  Go into a dealership and just sit in one of each - you don't need to drive it to understand.  While I hate dummy covers, I've never felt a car as 'stripped down' or cheapened in lower trim than I did in the Forester.  Hell, and I've driven MANY subcompact rental cars in my day!

The XT does also have more sound deadening materials, and the upgraded stereo is, indeed better.  So, I would say, absolutely.

...but for a chance to do more driving, for sure I'd be happy to do some writing ;D

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 09:55:22 pm »

I getchya.

IMO, the brakes, suspension, and throttle tip in are worldly better in the XT than in the 2.5i. 

...but what matters the most is just how upscale vs low-rent the two trims differ in feel once you're seated.  It's night and day.  Go into a dealership and just sit in one of each - you don't need to drive it to understand.  While I hate dummy covers, I've never felt a car as 'stripped down' or cheapened in lower trim than I did in the Forester.  Hell, and I've driven MANY subcompact rental cars in my day!

The XT does also have more sound deadening materials, and the upgraded stereo is, indeed better.  So, I would say, absolutely.

...but for a chance to do more driving, for sure I'd be happy to do some writing ;D

with the XT, throttle tip-in is also at your fingertips through the engine/transmission modes i/S/S#... when last I drove the XT, it guzzled gas and felt a bit like a bouncy castle (though it can really hustle if you choose to), but the 2.0T doesn't have to work as hard with all that torque, the transmission is BRILLIANT, so it is much quieter (especially cruising at high speeds as we tend to do in the GTA - that is a significant factor in the noise levels i criticize so heavily) and the interior is better finished with leather everywhere and the full screen, though i don't feel it's quite as night and day as NoTo does.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 10:03:19 pm »

I getchya.

with the XT, throttle tip-in is also at your fingertips through the engine/transmission modes i/S/S#... when last I drove the XT, it guzzled gas and felt a bit like a bouncy castle (though it can really hustle if you choose to), but the 2.0T doesn't have to work as hard with all that torque, the transmission is BRILLIANT, so it is much quieter (especially cruising at high speeds as we tend to do in the GTA - that is a significant factor in the noise levels i criticize so heavily) and the interior is better finished with leather everywhere and the full screen, though i don't feel it's quite as night and day as NoTo does.

Thank you, your insight is much appreciated.  I guess I will wait till I can drive the '16s to make some comparisons of my own.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 10:15:43 pm »

I getchya.

Thank you, your insight is much appreciated.  I guess I will wait till I can drive the '16s to make some comparisons of my own.

as to the 16s, i haven't heard of any definitive updates, but Subaru is very good about updating their products after 2-3 years between the more major redesigns, but these kind of updates might only arrive for the 2017 models...

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 08:52:28 am »
I've had a 2015 Legacy 3.6R Ltd for 7 months and have 10,000 kms on the clock. Not a single issue other than a windshield washer nozzle on the passenger side that was pointed a bit low.

I paid around the same price as this Forester, but got maybe the smoothest 6 cyl on the market, a nice leather interior, good sound system, adequate navi and toys, plus terrific AWD - and it's averaged 8,9 l / 100km since new, on regular grade. The CVT is the High Torque model, and maybe different from the one in the 2.5. It's really smooth and I have never felt the need for a DCT, because it's not a sports car, but a touring sedan. And the throttle tip in is very linear.

The reason I appreciate my Legacy was demonstrated this winter when driving from Montreal to Ottawa, very early one morning, like at 7 am, on the coldest day of the year. Minus 29 on the thermometer. I counted 17 cars that had lost control and found the ditch along the way, all single car incidents.

At one point a Lexus ES or Toyota Avalon was about 500 m ahead of me, taking a little rise towards a river overpass near Castleman, and the car started to weave, then fishtail, then the fishtail oscillations become larger from side to side, and eventually, he slid off the right shoulder, headed over the embankment on the other side of the little bridge and just disappeared from view. It was all due to a huge, but very thin and barely perceptible, surface of black ice.

But my Subie, with great Happa 8's, drove over that same surface like it was on a June day. Not one of the 4 driven wheels ever lost grip - or maybe they did, but the AWD just compensated.

I'll put up with a we bit of engine noise to enjoy staying on the road, no matter what the conditions, it's Canada after all, and have great sightlines (little appreciated safety feature) from inside the boring and boxy looking body.

Just my 2 cents.

Tree

I'm curious how comfortable are the seats (front and rear) in the Outback? The seat bottoms in the previous gen Forester were short which meant any travel more than an hour was uncomfortable, and on longer trips downright excruciating. I don't think they've addressed this in the current Forester either.

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2015, 08:57:14 am »

as to the 16s, i haven't heard of any definitive updates, but Subaru is very good about updating their products after 2-3 years between the more major redesigns, but these kind of updates might only arrive for the 2017 models...

I'd rather wait for the Forester STi to make it across ;D

If they brought that and the Levorg across in STi form I'd have a tough decision to make. Have you heard any hints on this (please!)?

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2015, 10:18:27 am »
They do seem to be reliable beyond that there's no joy to be found here. :(

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2015, 11:32:25 am »
and the interior is better finished with leather everywhere and the full screen, though i don't feel it's quite as night and day as NoTo does.
I'm not saying the Touring is like a Corolla and the Limited is like an MB S-Class, but it does feel quite a bit like Suzuki Swift (Touring) vs MB CLA250 (cheap, but nicer :))

The seat bottoms in the previous gen Forester were short which meant any travel more than an hour was uncomfortable, and on longer trips downright excruciating. I don't think they've addressed this in the current Forester either.
They did make them longer in the 2014 Forester redesign, but they're still a bit on the short side.  Not terribly so anymore.  Lady Noto's 2011 Forester's seats are quite short, but don't bug me terribly.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2015, 04:35:02 pm »

I'd rather wait for the Forester STi to make it across ;D

If they brought that and the Levorg across in STi form I'd have a tough decision to make. Have you heard any hints on this (please!)?

We won't get a full-bore Forester STI, but Subaru US and Canada will be ramping up their STI parts and tuning, so we will likely get a Forester TP tune by STI type of package with upgraded suspension, brakes, etc. but not more power.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2015, 04:37:34 pm »
I'd be fine with Subaru putting the 305hp STi engine and DCCD system in the Forester and making that the "standard" XT and pricing it the same as the current XT

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2015, 04:59:38 pm »
I'd be fine with Subaru putting the 305hp STi engine and DCCD system in the Forester and making that the "standard" XT and pricing it the same as the current XT

I'd rather it was lowered and tightened up with better, firmer damping, and sure, throw in the DCCD, but stick with the kind of power it has now. the power is fine already, but the ride is still too SUV.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2015, 07:03:39 pm »
I'd rather it was lowered and tightened up with better, firmer damping, and sure, throw in the DCCD, but stick with the kind of power it has now. the power is fine already, but the ride is still too SUV.

In terms of the handling/flex, there's a Subaru accessory strut tower braces (front and rear, IIRC).  Would that actually help with the body roll?  Or are you talker more along the lines of firmer suspension tuning?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2015, 07:26:54 pm »
there's a Subaru accessory strut tower braces (front and rear, IIRC).  Would that actually help with the body roll? 

Not in the slightest.  You'd want to change sway bars.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 10:31:09 am »
I'd be fine with Audi selling the RS5 for $5, but that won't happen either ;D