Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i  (Read 15946 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i
« on: May 06, 2015, 06:28:19 am »

Engine noise ruins Subaru experience.
Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 10:38:09 am »
"...Forester just failed to impress, partly because of the gauntlet of competition..."

It's a good time for CUV buyers with many refreshed models either in the market or soon to be. That being said, I agree that the Forester below it's top tier models are a bit long in the tooth.
Packaging and interior have always been points of contention on the lower model lines.
The EJ25 engine was replaced with the new FB25 2.5. I have not driven a vehicle with this new engine but can say that I never had issue with the EJ25 engine's sound in city or on the highway with CVT

With the likes of the new CRV and upcoming Tucson; Subaru will have to improve the interior design of the Forester and offer greater value beyond resting on it's AWD system with a refresh.

I have a Subaru with CVT and never noticed the aggressive throttle tip-in. My Legacy accelerates smooth and linear from a stop. My son's Vibe on the other hand is known for having jumpy fly by wire acceleration.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:22:19 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:49:05 am »
With few exceptions, Subaru's boxers have had a "farm implement" quality about them in terms of noise and feel.  Scoob owners have long accepted it - and they've worked on it - but maybe it's time to really get after changing it.

I'd still pick the Forester in the CUV class for the AWD, the room, the boxy cargo space, good handling and the ground clearance.  I'd just live with the other stuff.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:26:06 pm »
What...is...happening...these...days?
First, the NDP win a majority in Alberta?
Even more shocking - a negative Subaru review on autos.ca??

It's end times, I tells ya! What's next - the Leafs stop sucking?  ???

I appreciate the honest review though JY, even if it is on a vehicle I quite like.  And I fully agree with the overall "theme" of your review - the Forester really seems to be an "old-school" vehicle.  Yes it's got some of the latest tech (Eyesight, X-mode, etc.) - but that just serves to accentuate how, well, old the rest of the vehicle is.  And your review certainly covered the "old" aspects - the engine noise, the plain interior with mediocre finishings, the poor infotainment, etc.  And this generation of Forester is less than 2 years old, it's not an ancient vehicle!

That being said, there seems to be a lot of people who like (or at least don't mind) "old-school".  Great visibility - something most other vehicles have given up on.  Practical interior. Good real-world mileage. Proven components. Lightweight (version you tested was ~ 3400 lbs). Real ground clearance.  Extremely tight turning circle.  And of course, the ultimate "old-school" feature - an honest-to-goodness manual tranny! But there's no reason those attributes couldn't be combined with a quieter engine, or a better quality interior.

A couple of questions:
1.  When I test drove a 6MT model, I never noticed the aggressive throttle tip-in.  Is this likely just a CVT thing?
2.  Was the sound quality really that terrible? The Touring trim is supposed to have 6 speakers (instead of 4 in the base models), but I don't know if they are the upgraded Kicker speakers or just more bottom-of-the-barrel crap.  Or maybe the Kicker speakers are terrible too.
3.  I don't get why the models with the sunroof are listed at 892L capacity, whereas without it they have 974L.  But based on the pics, it doesn't look like the sunroof actually take up any cargo space or lowers the ceiling height?

And a couple of points for the review - the rear seats don't slide, but the do tilt (recline). There's a strap to pull on the sides to do so. And to add to your list of equipment NOT included on the Forester (any trim level) - tire pressure monitoring (which is fine by me!)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 01:04:37 pm »
JY writes:
... but with big, square windows outward visibility is stellar and .

and ... what exactly? ???

As for the noise, does it infect all Subie models or just the larger and/or boxier ones?  Do the various Impresa, Crosstrek or Legacy trims suffer equally?

John's comment about it having a "farm implement" quality to the engine reminds me of another (former?) forum member's comment about Subarus being "agrarian".  Perhaps that is what he meant by the comment.  I forget his handle; he was a lawyer based in the States, IIRC.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:21:43 pm »
I've owned a bunch of cars with boxers, all of them but two were Subarus.  The other two were 911s, one aspro, one forced induction.  Yes, the Porsche were sixes as opposed (punny!) to the Subaru fours, but the Porsche engines had a completely different quality to them. They made sweet, sweet music both mechanically and exhaust-note wise.

All of them made a lot of mechanical noise.  It's just that the Subaru engines felt/sounded less exciting.  Of course, we're talking a serious difference in prices, mission, etc.  But, even compared to other non-boxer engines, the Subarus tend to feel less enthusiastic.  Their aspro engines, that is.  And the 2.5L models.

The 2.0L in the BR-Z feels/sounds better, and the turbo 2.0 and 2.5s are sweeter too.  Not Porsche like, but more pleasing to the ear than the aspro 2.5.  The newest 2.5L is better, imho, than the old one.

But, to me, in the CUV class, that's a nit-pick.  I'm interested in 100 other things first.  The Forester scores highly in most of my "knock-out" categories.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:32:26 pm »

John's comment about it having a "farm implement" quality to the engine reminds me of another (former?) forum member's comment about Subarus being "agrarian".  Perhaps that is what he meant by the comment.

This is just so stereotypically...wrong. The interspersed sound is characteristic of a boxer engine by design. It is quite different to a clattering diesel on many levels.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 02:42:39 pm »
This Forester was part of the recent CUV comparison that I was involved with. The comparo's are typically two day affairs - at the end of Day 1 it's easier to grab one of the testers and take it home for the night than to drive back to the parking garage to fetch your own vehicle.  So, at end of Day 1 the group is milling about deciding who is taking what.

Jonathan,  I apologize.  Sorry for whatever it was I did. 

Because, on this day Jonathan points towards the Forester with a small smirk on his face.  That's my ride for the night.  Nice change from the Crosstrek, eh?
Just kidding of course, but a bit amusing that I'm given the vehicle Mr. Senior Editor disliked on the highway & I have about 150 or so km's to drive on that same highway.... hmmmm....  :P

I didn't find the Forester all that loud on the 401 - in fact is is noticeably quieter than the Crosstrek.  I guess I'm just used to 'the Subaru way'.
Those kitchen sponge grade seats do suck though.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 02:57:31 pm »
subaru used to be the vehicle i tended to suggest and veer toward... now, they still makes some great machines, but no longer is it an easy, "well, what does subaru offer that is close?". many of the segments that they are in, their cars are just mediocre, rather than class leaders.

many of their models lack refinement, and they have also lost their quirky styling. someone the other day was talking about the subaru legacy and how they have such a different look.... umm... no they don't. they look like a car. i'd go so far as to say it is the least interesting car in the mid sized segment...

still love many of their cars... just a shame that the brand has lost some of it's luster to me. part of the blame i'm sure is on the other brands who are now making cars that are much better than their previous attempts.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline BernardP

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 03:04:11 pm »
I have owned a 2005 Legacy 2.5i 5MT from mid-2004-to mid-2009. Although the engine sound is different, I grew used to it and even came to like it.

The 2.5i has more low-end torque than other non-turbos in its class, and has excellent driveability in normal conditions. But it will not play the VTEC game with the 2.4 L Accord engine.

To my trained eye, the current Forester has nice styling inside and out. The excellent all-around visibility is a distinguishing feature in this class. Function has trumped styling excesses.

This review is one amongst many that include only the CVT transmission. If I was to get one, it would be the 2.5i Touring, with 6-speed manual transmission. I would resist the urge to load the vehicle with rarely used, and not always usable, electronic gadgetry.

An update of this test drive with the 6-speed manual version of the Forester would be interesting.

Finally, it's more than time for Subaru to add direct injection to their engines. The 2.5i would be good for at least 10 more horses with DI.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:04:36 pm by BernardP »
2014 Audi A4 2.0T 6MT

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 03:56:25 pm »
That being said, there seems to be a lot of people who like (or at least don't mind) "old-school".  Great visibility - something most other vehicles have given up on.  Practical interior. Good real-world mileage. Proven components. Lightweight (version you tested was ~ 3400 lbs). Real ground clearance.  Extremely tight turning circle.  And of course, the ultimate "old-school" feature - an honest-to-goodness manual tranny! But there's no reason those attributes couldn't be combined with a quieter engine, or a better quality interior.
Here's the thing:

This Forester is not "old" school.  It's "cheap" school.  It didn't feel old to me.  It didn't feel 'generations' behind.  It felt like an afterthought.  Subaru makes great cars, mechanically.  This Forester shares little with its previous Generation (for which Lady Noto drives a 2011 Forester XT with the 2.5L Turbocharged boxer (EJ255)).  In using the new chassis/platform, Subaru went back to the drawing board.  Many things found in the previous generation were lost on this one.

Things like great outward visibility and practical controls don't mean a car has to be boring or cheap.  As JY quoted me saying (good memory, JY!), it's not the same Forester.  It's slightly larger on the outside, but HUGE on the inside.  It made the vehicle feel bigger.  Our Forester (albeit in leather) is also a light grey interior, but it didn't feel quite as cheap.  While Subaru updated the interior materials, somehow they just don't come together well.

Subaru focused on the upper trims, then cheapened out the Touring trim.  The comparo article did mention that the trim provided may not have been the smartest, especially since for $5k more (and well-within the budget of its competition), you could get the XT model in Limited Guise ($39,876.15 incl freight, PDI, AC Tax, and dealer fees - something we all loathe).

That, however, is exactly what I found in 2011.  The Touring Trim was abysmal, feeling as cheap and cost-cut as a USB cable purchased on eBay.  You get what you pay for.  Oddly, this is only true of the Forester: Brian would agree that the Limited trim was nice, but not 'required' in his Crosstrek (and my brother did buy the base, Touring trim).  I testdrove a 2015 Legacy Touring, and for $23k (in the US), it was one helluva good deal and exhibited no feelings of cheapness.

many of their models lack refinement, and they have also lost their quirky styling. someone the other day was talking about the subaru legacy and how they have such a different look.... umm... no they don't. they look like a car. i'd go so far as to say it is the least interesting car in the mid sized segment...
While I think Subarus are still quirky, they now appear to be less refined than they used to be.  Nicer materials to some degree, but not everywhere.  ...and where the materials remain garbage, it sticks out more than it used to.

The bigger issue here is that generation of CVT (well, it's programming for the aggressive throttle - it is not exhibited with the 6MT or in the 2.0XT).  For whatever reason, and I cannot fathom what it is, the aggressive throttle tip-in is awful.  It's similar in the Impreza, but since power comes from the modest 2.0L FB20, it doesn't 'jump' quite like this one did.

...and it's not just a little jump.  I squealed the tires frequently on the test drive from a stoplight.  I never got used to it.  I would never buy a car that has such a horrid oversight.  The 2.0XT?  Sure (not because of the power, but the smoothness of the CVT).  I'm hoping that the CVT from the Legacy will make its way into the Forester, and that the material choices will be updated (along with the base radio, as we know will happen soon - it has in the Crosstrek and Impreza already). 

As JY stated, I am Subie-slappy.  I love the AWD system, the planted chassis, the reasonable economy, and the utility.  ...but I'm no longer willing to overlook cost-cutting, and nor should any buyer.  I loved the Forester in 2011, but this isn't that one.  This one is half-a$sed as far as the interior is concerned.

In August, we will see a much better Forester (Source), which I anticipate (unsourced) will get the powertrain update (same power, but smoother):

^^but we can clearly see that the Touring model will soldier on as the cheap-sh!t, cost-cut, stripper that nobody really wants (but is all that many can afford...at $35k!   >:().  Load 'er up, and I love the Forester.  Strip 'er down, and she's not worth the time that it took for myself, JY, or anyone else to write about it.  Subaru can do better than this in base guise and it should.

A shame to do it (strip 'er down) to such a great mechanical car, too.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 04:22:04 pm »
"That horrible, horrible engine noise." Hmmmm. We recently test drove the 2015 Forester, equipped with the CVT. I guess maybe I was distracted by the irritating and disconnected feel of the transmission, but I honestly have to say my wife and I felt the car was noticeably quiet and the seating very good. Maybe it's because we're used the boxer engine's unique sound from owning a 2006 Forester. We ended up keeping the faithful Forester for 'just one more year' and instead selling our 2009 Civic EX-L and getting a 2015 Legacy Touring with a very nice six speed manual.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 04:28:35 pm »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 04:37:04 pm »
For 10 years I would say... Subaru's are not for everybody, thank fack. Sales figures are proving me wrong. If I was shopping for a mainstream CUV this would be it. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 05:45:05 pm »

The more I look at it, the more I really love the Legacy's grille on the Forester.  Please let it be true!

(yes, I know that's horribly photoshopped...)

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 05:50:10 pm »
  That throttle "tip in" will drive you crazy...my partner's 09 Kia Rondo has exactly that. You have to concentrate so hard to get a gentle start from a stop, she doesn't notice and it drives me nuts with my head jerking all over the place in stop and go traffic! It seems Subaru's increased sales has let some complacency slide in, better watch that does not come back and bite you Fuji.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 06:30:31 pm »

The more I look at it, the more I really love the Legacy's grille on the Forester.  Please let it be true!

(yes, I know that's horribly photoshopped...)

Yes!   :drool:   Way nicer than the current grille, hope its true too.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 07:35:10 pm »
JY writes:
... but with big, square windows outward visibility is stellar and .

and ... what exactly? ???

As for the noise, does it infect all Subie models or just the larger and/or boxier ones?  Do the various Impresa, Crosstrek or Legacy trims suffer equally?

John's comment about it having a "farm implement" quality to the engine reminds me of another (former?) forum member's comment about Subarus being "agrarian".  Perhaps that is what he meant by the comment.  I forget his handle; he was a lawyer based in the States, IIRC.

hah!

d'oh!

... but with big, square windows outward visibility is stellar and makes it easy to navigate in tight quarters and parking lots.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 07:48:03 pm »
What...is...happening...these...days?
First, the NDP win a majority in Alberta?
Even more shocking - a negative Subaru review on autos.ca??

It's end times, I tells ya! What's next - the Leafs stop sucking?  ???

I appreciate the honest review though JY, even if it is on a vehicle I quite like.  And I fully agree with the overall "theme" of your review - the Forester really seems to be an "old-school" vehicle.  Yes it's got some of the latest tech (Eyesight, X-mode, etc.) - but that just serves to accentuate how, well, old the rest of the vehicle is.  And your review certainly covered the "old" aspects - the engine noise, the plain interior with mediocre finishings, the poor infotainment, etc.  And this generation of Forester is less than 2 years old, it's not an ancient vehicle!

A couple of questions:
1.  When I test drove a 6MT model, I never noticed the aggressive throttle tip-in.  Is this likely just a CVT thing?
2.  Was the sound quality really that terrible? The Touring trim is supposed to have 6 speakers (instead of 4 in the base models), but I don't know if they are the upgraded Kicker speakers or just more bottom-of-the-barrel crap.  Or maybe the Kicker speakers are terrible too.
3.  I don't get why the models with the sunroof are listed at 892L capacity, whereas without it they have 974L.  But based on the pics, it doesn't look like the sunroof actually take up any cargo space or lowers the ceiling height?

And a couple of points for the review - the rear seats don't slide, but the do tilt (recline). There's a strap to pull on the sides to do so. And to add to your list of equipment NOT included on the Forester (any trim level) - tire pressure monitoring (which is fine by me!)

1. The last manual Subaru I drove was the WRX... throttle tip-in was just fine there!  ;D As someone else mentioned, the 2.5i and CVT combo in the Legacy (which we had for a long-term test) weren't as noisy or painful to listen to as the Forester, though the stereo was just as awful - my guess is more sound insulation in the Legacy. if the manual is quieter, more refined, then perhaps it's some of the gears connecting the CVT and engine... l did drive a base 2.5i manual at the launch event, but that was quite some time ago... 

2. yes. horrendous. the Legacy long-termer we had was also awful.

3. got me... no idea.

I will confirm regarding the rear seat tilt function - i took notes while installing car seats, so it would be weird that I missed that, though it is possible.

Offline Treeman

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R; 2015 Subaru Legacy Limited 3.6R Prior cars: Acura 3.2TL, 2 GTI's (manual), BMW 328i 6 speed, RX-7 manual, Volvo 850 Turbo manual. Bikes: Honda VFR750, Yamaha RD400
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 08:24:34 pm »
I've had a 2015 Legacy 3.6R Ltd for 7 months and have 10,000 kms on the clock. Not a single issue other than a windshield washer nozzle on the passenger side that was pointed a bit low.

I paid around the same price as this Forester, but got maybe the smoothest 6 cyl on the market, a nice leather interior, good sound system, adequate navi and toys, plus terrific AWD - and it's averaged 8,9 l / 100km since new, on regular grade. The CVT is the High Torque model, and maybe different from the one in the 2.5. It's really smooth and I have never felt the need for a DCT, because it's not a sports car, but a touring sedan. And the throttle tip in is very linear.

The reason I appreciate my Legacy was demonstrated this winter when driving from Montreal to Ottawa, very early one morning, like at 7 am, on the coldest day of the year. Minus 29 on the thermometer. I counted 17 cars that had lost control and found the ditch along the way, all single car incidents.

At one point a Lexus ES or Toyota Avalon was about 500 m ahead of me, taking a little rise towards a river overpass near Castleman, and the car started to weave, then fishtail, then the fishtail oscillations become larger from side to side, and eventually, he slid off the right shoulder, headed over the embankment on the other side of the little bridge and just disappeared from view. It was all due to a huge, but very thin and barely perceptible, surface of black ice.

But my Subie, with great Happa 8's, drove over that same surface like it was on a June day. Not one of the 4 driven wheels ever lost grip - or maybe they did, but the AWD just compensated.

I'll put up with a we bit of engine noise to enjoy staying on the road, no matter what the conditions, it's Canada after all, and have great sightlines (little appreciated safety feature) from inside the boring and boxy looking body.

Just my 2 cents.

Tree