Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk; Day 1  (Read 16984 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 04:43:56 pm »
With eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat and tilt and telescope steering getting comfortable was a breeze and it stays comfortable as the leather seats are just the right ratio of firm to soft.
Good to hear - I wasn't a fan of the cloth seats, but I would imagine that the leather ones are nicer.  My back hurt after a shortish test drive with the cloth.

Are the seats actually different though? I'd assume it's just the outer material that's different but I could be wrong.
They feel really different.  My friend bought a Premium with leather because the cloth wasn't comfortable.  But it could be perception I don't really know for sure.

tooscoops?
While I agree that we should defer to tooscoops and his awesomeness, I've consistently found that cloth vs leather are padded differently, as well as the natural 'give' that the different materials have.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:08:53 am by NoTo »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 05:09:18 pm »
if you get the luxury group on the limited (or the ventilated seats on trailhawk), they are a much firmer seat due to the tubes/whatever that are there to cool your butt... other than that, just the covering as far as i know/can tell.

...personally, i find them more uncomfortable. the cherokee are one of the seats i like, cloth or leather... not huge in the wings, so not a big hug or anything, but nice support.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 11:42:49 pm »
With eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat and tilt and telescope steering getting comfortable was a breeze and it stays comfortable as the leather seats are just the right ratio of firm to soft.
Good to hear - I wasn't a fan of the cloth seats, but I would imagine that the leather ones are nicer.  My back hurt after a shortish test drive with the cloth.

Are the seats actually different though? I'd assume it's just the outer material that's different but I could be wrong.
They feel really different.  My friend bought a Premium with leather because the cloth wasn't comfortable.  But it could be perception I don't really know for sure.

tooscoops?
While I agree, let's defer to tooscoops and his awesomeness, cloth vs leather are padded differently, as well as the natural 'give' that the different materials have.
There are 5 different foam seat bottoms and 4 different foam seat backs. And I have to say, my Cherokee Limited is by far the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:44:52 pm by jamie1 »
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 11:59:11 pm »
that would be an interesting review.  Most comfortable seats.....

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2015, 08:29:20 am »
Volvo FTW!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 11:09:58 am »
Volvo FTW!
have you sat in Nissan's lately?  They're actually incredible.  The ones in the Leaf are by far the best seats I've ever sat in thus far.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 01:13:37 pm »
Volvo FTW!
have you sat in Nissan's lately?  They're actually incredible.  The ones in the Leaf are by far the best seats I've ever sat in thus far.
Can't say that I have lately, but I've heard good things about their zero gravity seat technology. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 01:24:30 pm »
Volvo FTW!

Volvos do make great seats.  But is it fair to lump one manufacturer for best seats?  Was thinking more the lines of best seats in a compact (mainstream), midsize (mainstream & luxury), and so on.  As Volvo has no compact....And I would put them more towards premium/luxury then mainstream....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 01:47:12 pm »
If it wasn’t for that silly squeak in the rear seat area I’d be really impressed.

It's funny you mention that.  As I have been driving the Odyssey this week, doing lawns.  I noticed this loud rattling coming from the back area of the van.  Was fairly certain it was on the inside.  Emptied the van completely, drove it a bit, noise remained.  It was only when I hit bumps.  I discovered the nut for the spare tire was loose.  Tightened up, went looking for pot holes, which is not as easy as it seems.  Used the speed bumps at the school, and the noise was gone...

Now I just have to figure out why the drivers side sliding door is so stiff.  My mechanic as lubricated several times, while it doesn't open.  It's very hard, suspect alignment issues... :(

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 02:01:40 pm »
What does autos.ca think about including a table with every review with rows that show vehicle base price, trim and then options as tested. Another column would be how they would spec it if they were buying it. Consumers may get good opinion about what professionals consider as good value.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 02:09:07 pm »
What does autos.ca think about including a table with every review with rows that show vehicle base price, trim and then options as tested. Another column would be how they would spec it if they were buying it. Consumers may get good opinion about what professionals consider as good value.

Neat idea, but sounds time consuming.  Just look at the status of the Buyers Guide.... Here we are 2015, and many models missing from 2014...  They have limited resources...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 12:08:39 pm »
nice idea... but yeah, hard to do for all of them. nice to at least mention the good options and not totally useful ones..

as for the seats, i noticed on the vip(chrysler system) of one the different numbers cushions... i figure it would be the heated, heated/cooled, leather, cloth and the highback/lowback which i think we only get the one style in our market... as mentioned in the review, i find them a nice balance between stiff and soft... hopefully they wear well.

as for the squeak... have you tried sliding the seat fore/aft? it has that movement and i've found some had debris on the tracks that cased issues. not a car issue, but the fact that crap can get in there is annoying.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 09:46:07 am »
Great point, James, about the mucked/bugged-up headlights - never thought of that (and I'm guessing the designers never did, either ;)).

As far as the transmission problems go, OD, let's be reasonable here.  FCA took a shot, and there will be complaints, but they will be resolved eventually. 

That fuel economy (and 3.2L version of the pentastar) is testament that it is achievable in the real world - although I suspect James did a bit more highway driving than city.  In any event, if you want a capable, yet more nimble off-roader that can tow and look a bit bad-as$, I can see nothing better than this Trailhawk - certainly for a stock car under $45k.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 11:05:09 am »
Great point, James, about the mucked/bugged-up headlights - never thought of that (and I'm guessing the designers never did, either ;)).

As far as the transmission problems go, OD, let's be reasonable here.  FCA took a shot, and there will be complaints, but they will be resolved eventually. 

That fuel economy (and 3.2L version of the pentastar) is testament that it is achievable in the real world - although I suspect James did a bit more highway driving than city.  In any event, if you want a capable, yet more nimble off-roader that can tow and look a bit bad-as$, I can see nothing better than this Trailhawk - certainly for a stock car under $45k.

I don't know.. I'd take a fully-loaded Forester XT over this for under $40K.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 11:42:05 am »

I don't know.. I'd take a fully-loaded Forester XT over this for under $40K.
While I agree, thems things in bold ^^ are both things that this Trailhawk does better than the Fozzie.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2015, 12:09:42 pm »

Sure took a long time with the Grand Caravan....over a decade.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2015, 12:57:27 pm »

Neat idea, but sounds time consuming.  Just look at the status of the Buyers Guide.... Here we are 2015, and many models missing from 2014...  They have limited resources...

I meant just for the review articles. They already list the tester options in paragraph form. Just put that into a table and then include which options the reviewer thinks is worth the money:

So turn this:
Base Price (SL): $31,545
Options: 3.2-litre Pentastar $1,595; Leather Group $800; Trailer Tow $495; Ventilated / Memory Seats $795, Cold Weather package $895; Safetytec Group $895; Technology Group $995; Convenience Group $1,295; Black Hood Decal $150; Dual Pane Sunroof $1,595; UConnect with Navigation $700; Single Disc CD $250; 9-speakers with subwoofer $400; Black 17-inch wheels $500

into this:
Base Price (SL): $31,545                       
                                         As tested                  Recommended (as an example)
3.2-litre Pentastar             $1,595                       Yes
Leather Group                   $800 
Trailer Tow                        $495                          Yes                             
Ventilated / Memory Seats $795                          Yes
Cold Weather package       $895                           Yes
Safetytec Group                $895
Technology Group             $995
Convenience Group           $1,295                         Yes
Black Hood Decal              $150
Dual Pane Sunroof            $1,595                       
UConnect with Navigation $700                           Yes
Single Disc CD                  $250
9-speakers with subwoofer $400
Black 17-inch wheels         $500
Destination:                   $1,695                          Mandatory/required
A/C Tax:                         $100                             mandatory/required
Price:                             $44,700                        $38,415

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 01:01:23 pm »
I think that the reviewer recommending options is a bit silly because a lot of them come down to personal tastes and needs.

That said, I do like Car and Driver's "How We'd Spec It" blog posts which are small articles that describe how (and why) they would spec certain cars.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 01:21:16 pm »
I think that the reviewer recommending options is a bit silly because a lot of them come down to personal tastes and needs.

Well by that logic all reviews are silly because we all have different personal tastes and needs for different aspects of driving. 

It was more though about the reviewers sense of value for an option: $500 for a black vinyl hood could be reasonably seen as being objectively not good value. For many of these options I suspect there is more commonality amongst us about value.

The advantage of a table is if someone wants an option that's not recommended, its still listed with its price so the reader can more easily figure out ballpark what they would be looking at for their needs. Or "I like where this reviewer is going for options but I'll never tow." Boom: knock $500 off their suggested configuration.

Anyways I think this would help more than hinder.