Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V  (Read 12194 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V
« on: May 05, 2015, 06:31:04 am »

Destroying dogma, one European sport sedan at a time
Read More...

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:20:16 am »
I cannot honestly say that I'm enamored with the styling of Cadillac, but I can appreciate the performance, yet at the same time I want to know hold it would be as a day-to-day driver. I'd be curious how it holds up in a long-term durability test, although my experience with BMW isn't anything to write home about (maybe hail a cab to get home a few times - as it left me out to dry). I'm a wagon fan, and wish that the manufacturers would bring back a performance model - the only one currently out there at a "reasonable" cost would be the Volvo V60.   

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:16:41 am »
The price difference to the M3 may be small but I doubt that you can configure an ATS-V with tens of thousands in options as you can with the BMW.

I'm not a fan of the ATS styling but I think the ATS-V is fine. Oddly enough I feel the same about the CTS and CTS-V.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:53:57 pm »
I think Caddy has done well with the ATS and this V variant. Although I think the hood extractor does not line up with Cadillac design principles; it looks a touch unsophisticated.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:18:23 pm »
Funny how every manufacture wanting to make a sports sedan uses the M3 as a yard stick for the last 30 years. Regardless of what these cars race track test results are I'm buying the yard stick.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:28:59 pm »
Regardless of what these cars race track test results are I'm buying the yard stick.

Ha ha, good point.

I'll buy the barge pole and prod the caddy with it.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 02:42:18 pm »
badge smadge...this is a great car in every respect...judge a vehicle for its merits, not its nameplate...there are very few GM cars i would buy...this is one them.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 03:52:59 pm »
pretty nice machine. while in the past, i'd be with snowman on this, i feel that in the last 5 years or so, the gaps have closed on some of the near luxury and luxury cars, m3 being no exception.

wouldn't turn down any of them
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 07:04:43 am »
I think Cadillac did a fantastic job and I love the exterior design. This model has much more character than the other ATS. One have to be pretty close-minded (or ill-informed) not to recognize the technical achievements GM did with this car and the engineering effort that went into it.

There is one area GM still struggles a bit and it is with the interior design. Top notch materials are used but GM does not know what to do with them and how to put them together. Darn shame the so-so cluster was retained for the ATS-V, a real head scratcher this one.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 08:58:53 am »
badge smadge...this is a great car in every respect...judge a vehicle for its merits, not its nameplate...there are very few GM cars i would buy...this is one them.

Easy to say, but will you actually buy one? I'm guessing no.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 09:49:16 am »
snip
There is one area GM still struggles a bit and it is with the interior design. Top notch materials are used but GM does not know what to do with them and how to put them together. Darn shame the so-so cluster was retained for the ATS-V, a real head scratcher this one.

I tried a regular ATS last Sunday. Talking about cramped interior. The seat was up and I had to bend my head to fit in - I am 5'11". Even in the lowest position, my hair (I have very short hair) was brushing against the headliner. That's an automatic fail.
With scooped sport seats, the ingress/egress would be a chore. It may be technically superior to everything else in the market but if I can't be comfortable in it as a daily driver - it's a fail.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 10:05:42 am »
^ ::)
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 11:44:16 am »
^ ::)
You can roll your eyes all you want but if you are 6'+, you won't be comfortable. Period. The relationship ends before it begins.
That's one reason why ATS has a hard time competing with the 3, C, A4 crowd - the interior is too freaken small. I was at the dealer with my 7 year-old daughter. She could not fit in the back seat behind me - no leg room A_T A_L_L.
Performance is all good and dandy for your 3rd car. Not a daily driver.

Offline Zorro

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 GTI & 2013 Elantra GT
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 12:22:54 pm »
I'm waiting for the ATS-V WAGON!  :P

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 03:25:01 pm »
Competitors:
Audi RS5
BMW M4
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Jet-Powered Popemobile
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Very Jacob-esque.

I am really not a fan of the styling of the hood vent, but otherwise it's understated and elegant.

...what really draws me in is the Magnetic Ride Control.  So much want for that.

Offline AvgCdnMale

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Cadillac ATS 3.6
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 04:36:50 pm »
As a 5'11'' ATS owner (with a sunroof), who has the seat far from the lowest position....I'm calling absolute BS on this.

snip

I tried a regular ATS last Sunday. Talking about cramped interior. The seat was up and I had to bend my head to fit in - I am 5'11". Even in the lowest position, my hair (I have very short hair) was brushing against the headliner. That's an automatic fail.
With scooped sport seats, the ingress/egress would be a chore. It may be technically superior to everything else in the market but if I can't be comfortable in it as a daily driver - it's a fail.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 05:10:12 pm »
As a 5'11'' ATS owner (with a sunroof), who has the seat far from the lowest position....I'm calling absolute BS on this.

snip

everyones physique and preferred driving position is different, so you can't really call BS on that..

However, as a 5'8" slender type person, ATS isn't especially cramped or anything.  C class is bigger for sure though...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 05:42:16 pm »

snip

Question is...how tall is your hair?  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 05:43:09 pm »

snip

I have the tallest hair here.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 05:52:04 pm »

snip

I have the tallest hair here.
Do you often gel it so that it stands up though?