Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V  (Read 12197 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 05:53:22 pm »
As a 5'11'' ATS owner (with a sunroof), who has the seat far from the lowest position....I'm calling absolute BS on this.

snip
There is one area GM still struggles a bit and it is with the interior design. Top notch materials are used but GM does not know what to do with them and how to put them together. Darn shame the so-so cluster was retained for the ATS-V, a real head scratcher this one.

I tried a regular ATS last Sunday. Talking about cramped interior. The seat was up and I had to bend my head to fit in - I am 5'11". Even in the lowest position, my hair (I have very short hair) was brushing against the headliner. That's an automatic fail.
With scooped sport seats, the ingress/egress would be a chore. It may be technically superior to everything else in the market but if I can't be comfortable in it as a daily driver - it's a fail.

Question is...how tall is your hair?  ;)

I have the tallest hair here.
Do you often gel it so that it stands up though?

Ask Vmango or GiantDwarf what it looked like behind my 911 Targa at speed..... ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 06:04:03 pm »
  Reliability. My friend's CTS has headlight connectors that have melted and this after them being replaced on a recall. He bought a wire crimping kit and put individual connecters on each wire to have the headlights function properly. After a bad winter storm 2 years ago his ABS and traction control system said "enough" and has been without since which recently cost him 2 new front tires after a major lock up. His father in law bought a 2014 ATS and took it in for an oil change recently, they thought they would take care of a recall item as well. When he went to get the car the entire dash was on the front seats and he picked up his car EIGHT days later, safe to say that reliability is is indeed a factor when purchasing a Cadillac.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 08:03:37 pm »
badge smadge...this is a great car in every respect...judge a vehicle for its merits, not its nameplate...there are very few GM cars i would buy...this is one them.

Easy to say, but will you actually buy one? I'm guessing no.
when i say something like this, it is said to mean "If I were in the market for a car in this class"...i think most of us make such similar comments...hey, we can't all be Jay Leno.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 08:49:49 am »
Funny how every manufacture wanting to make a sports sedan uses the M3 as a yard stick for the last 30 years. Regardless of what these cars race track test results are I'm buying the yard stick.
LOL,why not copy the best. Unfortunately what was once the yard stick is now only a ruler. Too bad for you.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 09:26:52 am »
 :rofl2: Look who's back. Have fun in the penalty box?

Northernridge

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 11:13:15 am »
Lots of comparisons between the ATS and 3 Series...fewer that include the A4 and new C Class. The dynamics change a bit when you add these to the mix. A few impressions...

The C Class has significantly improved with the new model, both in terms of luxury/design and driving (based on the reviews), the AMG version seems much more credible as a driver's sedan vs the last one. Mercedes has momentum with the new C and outclasses the ATS on lux...and maybe as a driver's car at the top of the line.

The A4 is a stalwart in terms of design sophistication and makes the ATS look like a car for teenaged boys by comparison. I think the two cars appeal to different people. The latest and greatest crowd probably would overlook the A4 plus and there's nothing from Audi here to compete with the ATS-V.

I think the ATS in all trims offers something different from Mercedes and Audi...I'm not sure what BMW is doing these days. I'm also unclear why the ATS isn't compared more with the IS and Q-whatever.

All in all the ATS seems like a good car that is priced correctly being cheaper than the germans for now.

It will fail though if they don't fix the cheap interior details that are widely reported...cheapo interiors reinforce the old Cadillac/GM stereotype. They will be punished for this by luxury buyers.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 03:26:14 pm »
They will be punished for this by luxury buyers in Canada, less so in the US, and not at all in China, where they sell most of their cars..
^^ fixed.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 04:49:11 pm »
They will be punished for this by luxury buyers in Canada, less so in the US, and not at all in China, where they sell most of their cars..
^^ fixed.

China is a Godsend land for every luxo maker right now but that will be over before you know it and then the more discerning Chinese buyer will be fooled no more. Milk it while it lasts, GM!!!  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 05:08:03 pm »
^^ fixed.

Good point. The auto world extends beyond this continent where preferences differ.

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 10:17:04 am »
:rofl2: Look who's back. Have fun in the penalty box?
sometimes I like to come back to listen to you mindlessly babble, and I'm never disappointed.

Northernridge

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 04:35:27 pm »
MT says today that Cadillac will produce an ATS-V+ with the LS7 V8 which makes more power and is lighter than the TT 6 in the regular ATS-V...take that M3. The manual trans. is sourced from the Corvette too.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1505_cadillac_ats_v_to_feature_ls7_power.html

Offline Silverjesus

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Cadillac ATS AWD
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2015, 02:34:17 pm »
I cannot honestly say that I'm enamored with the styling of Cadillac, but I can appreciate the performance, yet at the same time I want to know hold it would be as a day-to-day driver. I'd be curious how it holds up in a long-term durability test, although my experience with BMW isn't anything to write home about (maybe hail a cab to get home a few times - as it left me out to dry). I'm a wagon fan, and wish that the manufacturers would bring back a performance model - the only one currently out there at a "reasonable" cost would be the Volvo V60.

I've had my 2014 ATS AWD since May of 2014.  I've driven almost 15k and have had no issues. 

Offline Silverjesus

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2015, 02:39:09 pm »
snip
There is one area GM still struggles a bit and it is with the interior design. Top notch materials are used but GM does not know what to do with them and how to put them together. Darn shame the so-so cluster was retained for the ATS-V, a real head scratcher this one.

I tried a regular ATS last Sunday. Talking about cramped interior. The seat was up and I had to bend my head to fit in - I am 5'11". Even in the lowest position, my hair (I have very short hair) was brushing against the headliner. That's an automatic fail.
With scooped sport seats, the ingress/egress would be a chore. It may be technically superior to everything else in the market but if I can't be comfortable in it as a daily driver - it's a fail.

Were you sitting on a pillow?  I'm 6 feet with lots of hair and have never brushed anything with it in my ATS ;)

Offline Silverjesus

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2015, 02:44:14 pm »
Lots of comparisons between the ATS and 3 Series...fewer that include the A4 and new C Class. The dynamics change a bit when you add these to the mix. A few impressions...

The C Class has significantly improved with the new model, both in terms of luxury/design and driving (based on the reviews), the AMG version seems much more credible as a driver's sedan vs the last one. Mercedes has momentum with the new C and outclasses the ATS on lux...and maybe as a driver's car at the top of the line.

The A4 is a stalwart in terms of design sophistication and makes the ATS look like a car for teenaged boys by comparison. I think the two cars appeal to different people. The latest and greatest crowd probably would overlook the A4 plus and there's nothing from Audi here to compete with the ATS-V.

I think the ATS in all trims offers something different from Mercedes and Audi...I'm not sure what BMW is doing these days. I'm also unclear why the ATS isn't compared more with the IS and Q-whatever.

All in all the ATS seems like a good car that is priced correctly being cheaper than the germans for now.

It will fail though if they don't fix the cheap interior details that are widely reported...cheapo interiors reinforce the old Cadillac/GM stereotype. They will be punished for this by luxury buyers.

I went from a C Class to an ATS.  No regrets.  Purchase price may have been similar but so far Caddy's cost of ownership is a fraction of that of Mercedes.

Northernridge

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2015, 02:58:49 pm »
A fraction in the way that 99/100 is a fraction?   ;)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 08:40:50 pm »
^^ lol! He is probably happy Cadillac offers free maintenance for 4 year - which does reduce the cost of ownership - at least for 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 11:35:44 pm »
^^ lol! He is probably happy Cadillac offers free maintenance for 4 year - which does reduce the cost of ownership - at least for 4 years.

$50k car

vs $300/yr maintenance

oooo aaa who cares ???
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Silverjesus

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2015, 09:09:11 am »

$50k car

vs $300/yr maintenance

oooo aaa who cares ???

Benz maintenance is a lot more than $300 per year. 

Offline Silverjesus

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2015, 09:11:31 am »

Not quite.  I've paid $0 for maintenance so far.  If you've ever owned a new Benz, you'd know how much you'd have to fork out in maintenance.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2015, 09:27:54 am »

Not quite.  I've paid $0 for maintenance so far.  If you've ever owned a new Benz, you'd know how much you'd have to fork out in maintenance.

Northernridge's been driving E-class FOREVER.    in fact, some say he's Stig's long lost north american uncle who was born under the Mercedes TriStar.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D