Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Nissan Juke SL AWD  (Read 7869 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Nissan Juke SL AWD
« on: May 05, 2015, 06:28:51 am »

A mid-cycle refresh gives Froggy some new clothes
Read More...

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Nissan Juke SL AWD
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 09:38:42 am »
enjoyed the descriptive read.  Noticed no photos of the engine compartment, also no front or rear armrests (that comment came up in the CX-3 review).  Looks like the HR-V got its rear door latch design from this vehicle.  :D

Think I'll stick to my Soul  ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:40:18 am by conwelpic »

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:43:26 am »
The overly cheap plastic interior seems to be more concerning to me than the exterior.

I've grown to like seeing the Juke on the road, it's differences make it visually appealing although not for me.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 11:31:56 am »
Saw a "Nismo" version of these this morning......actually didn't look bad....lord jeebus, whats wrong with me. If they had this in awd with a 6spd manual, this would make an awesome poor mans WRX.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 11:45:43 am »
The AWD version does whip thru streets quite well.  What amazes me is that ppl are still buying them.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 11:52:49 am »
What amazes me is that ppl are still buying them.

Why is that Steve?  Just because the novelty of it has worn off by now? 
But pricing seems to be pretty competitive, NISMO models notwithstanding.  Case in point, that base 6MT model - where else can you find that much HP/TQ  for under 21K?  Granted you are missing out on lots of features, and the interior is far from luxurious, and it's not all that practical.  But for a FWD kinda-sport-compact, that price is tough to beat.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »

That, and the amount of problems these cars have had.  We think there is a design flaw regarding the timing chain.  Of course Nissan blamed the chain supplier, but I think it goes deeper that that.  The amount of TSBs on this vehicle have been many.  Engine and electrical mostly.  Premium gas.  Don't ever buy one used and out of warranty.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 12:39:35 pm »

That, and the amount of problems these cars have had.  We think there is a design flaw regarding the timing chain.  Of course Nissan blamed the chain supplier, but I think it goes deeper that that.  The amount of TSBs on this vehicle have been many.  Engine and electrical mostly.  Premium gas.  Don't ever buy one used and out of warranty.

Good to know.  I didn't realise Nissan was having so many problems with this engine - maybe that's why it hasn't been used in any other applications?  When the 1.6T first came out in the Juke, I assumed it would naturally migrate to the Sentra (SE-R), Rogue, maybe even Altima.  But if it's a dud reliability-wise, probably would be a disaster for Nissan to stick it into mainstream models.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:49:24 pm »
I put this thing in the "so ugly it's cute" category along with pugs and hairless cats. 

But that color combination....gawd!   The matte black + red accents looks stunning but pearl and purple?  Nope!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:52:20 pm »
When the 1.6T first came out in the Juke, I assumed it would naturally migrate to the Sentra (SE-R), Rogue, maybe even Altima

Yes, we all thought it was going to be fantastic, a new dynamic direction.  Not happening. 

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 01:58:43 pm »
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still .........................

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 02:15:57 pm »
i know this vehicle gets panned often in here, but i drove one when they first came out and it was a fun little vehicle...sure, it was tight inside, but if you don't need the room, it handled well, was pretty punchy around town and looked pretty "techy" inside.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 11:54:30 pm »
Is that engine in earlier Jukes, or just the latest one?

Yet to be determined.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 11:56:07 pm »
i know this vehicle gets panned often in here, but i drove one when they first came out and it was a fun little vehicle...sure, it was tight inside, but if you don't need the room, it handled well, was pretty punchy around town and looked pretty "techy" inside.

Has an excellent FIRST impression.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 09:05:24 am »
Is that engine in earlier Jukes, or just the latest one?

Yet to be determined.

I wonder if an unspoken benefit of "Nissan says the 1.6L direct-injection gasoline turbo, 16-valve DOHC aluminum-alloy inline four-cylinder engine is significantly revised for 2015" was greater reliability?

With the push that CAFE has created towards small turbo motors, you'd think it would behoove Nissan to figure this out on the Juke before they need to start rolling out similar motors in their volume models.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 02:50:52 pm »
Funny you say that - I think this is the Soul's closest competitor (save for the AWD difference).  It's funky, fresh, different, and an econobox with enough perks to make it feel unique.

I really like the froggy - and it's what I always call it.  The little froggy.

There are some things I don't like (cheap plastics throughout mostly, and the poor CVT application - I normally like CVTs but this one isn't great), but I really love this car.  Not likely something that I'd buy, but maybe I would.  I really dig it, and the accent colouring is wicked neat IMO.

For 2015, the Juke sees a mild mid-cycle refresh. The distinctive snout gets new projector beam headlights, LED accents, a recontoured “V-motion” grill and more aggressive bits beneath the bumper. Out back we see revised “boomerang” taillights with LED accents and a more aggressive rear fascia. The Juke’s mirrors now house standard LED turn signal repeaters.
Hilariously, I didn't even notice those changes when I looked at the pics until I read the article.  True enough and hilarious.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 03:19:10 pm »
Funny you say that - I think this is the Soul's closest competitor (save for the AWD difference).  It's funky, fresh, different, and an econobox with enough perks to make it feel unique.

A "soul"mate, if you will?  :hide: :run: :rofl2:

I agree with you; they are two of the more original designs out there.  They are also two of the most polarizing:  I find that one either likes them or hates them.  I am one who splits the difference:  I love the Soul but hate the Joke er Juke, even with AWD.

If the Soul had AWD, I believe its sales would be considerably higher than they are and would eat into the sales of many of those funky boxes on wheels as well as the Juke.  That being said, I know that my needs are somewhat different than either vehicle so, as much as I love the style of one but appreciate a key feature of the other, neither would be on my shopping list, AWD or no.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 04:42:29 pm »

A "soul"mate, if you will?  :hide: :run: :rofl2:

I agree with you; they are two of the more original designs out there.  They are also two of the most polarizing:  I find that one either likes them or hates them.  I am one who splits the difference:  I love the Soul but hate the Joke er Juke, even with AWD.

If the Soul had AWD, I believe its sales would be considerably higher than they are and would eat into the sales of many of those funky boxes on wheels as well as the Juke.  That being said, I know that my needs are somewhat different than either vehicle so, as much as I love the style of one but appreciate a key feature of the other, neither would be on my shopping list, AWD or no.
I know it's blasphemous, but if the Soul were given AWD and a more upscale interior, out of an Acura, let's say, I would pay >$35k for it.

I really like the Soul, but dislike econobox interiors in general (yes, I do drive a Corolla and a Forester).

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 07:13:30 pm »

I know it's blasphemous, but if the Soul were given AWD and a more upscale interior, out of an Acura, let's say, I would pay >$35k for it.

I really like the Soul, but dislike econobox interiors in general (yes, I do drive a Corolla and a Forester).

have you sat in a 2015 Soul SX Luxury model lately, that's quite an upscale interior for a "econobox"  ;D - panoramic sunroof, multimedia system with navigation, 8 speaker Infinity sound system, heated rear seats, power driver seat with power lumbar, heated steering wheel, auto climate control, leather seats, etc. etc.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 01:33:16 pm »

have you sat in a 2015 Soul SX Luxury model lately, that's quite an upscale interior for a "econobox"  ;D - panoramic sunroof, multimedia system with navigation, 8 speaker Infinity sound system, heated rear seats, power driver seat with power lumbar, heated steering wheel, auto climate control, leather seats, etc. etc.
...still has hard plastics throughout.  That's what I meant by "econo"

...and with respect,

^^ that is not an 'upscale' interior.

Feature content ≠ upscale.