Author Topic: Jaguar reveals XE compact to get diesel option  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Jaguar reveals XE compact to get diesel option
« on: April 29, 2015, 03:50:15 pm »
Jaguar dishes drivetrain specs
Read More...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Jaguar reveals XE compact to get diesel option
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 03:56:04 pm »
Why would you guess at undercutting the 3-series, I think it's more expensive in the UK.

Can't wait to see what the V6-S is like, and the probably ridiculous V8 XE-R...

:drool:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 04:05:26 pm »
Why would you guess at undercutting the 3-series, I think it's more expensive in the UK.

Can't wait to see what the V6-S is like, and the probably ridiculous V8 XE-R...

:drool:

The XF undercuts the equivalent 5-series by a decent amount so I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for the XE and 3-series.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 04:18:16 pm »
The F-Type is far less expensive than the 911, too. Just a hunch they'll beat the 3er on price, if they want to steal much of its market share.
I used to work here.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:04:12 am »
i think they are going to sell a boatload of these if they undercut bmw.  i'm rather surprised there isn't a 2l turbo gas engine on offer as well.  maybe that's coming.

That's definitely coming.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 10:22:12 am »
I don't think Jag needs to undercut the 3 Series by much with the XE as it has brand recognition, a following, and a rich heritage. Leave the value pricing to Acura and Hyundai with their entry luxury models. I have no problem placing Jag in the same sentence as BMW, Audi, and Benz

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 10:23:43 am »
"Next spring, Jaguar will launch its first serious volley into the modern compact sport sedan market with the 2017 XE, and today, the British automaker revealed North American versions will get a diesel engine option right off the bat."

Bold move, numbers must be good in the diesel world in order to justify diesel from the get go.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 01:10:17 pm »
I don't think Jag needs to undercut the 3 Series by much with the XE as it has brand recognition, a following, and a rich heritage. Leave the value pricing to Acura and Hyundai with their entry luxury models. I have no problem placing Jag in the same sentence as BMW, Audi, and Benz

Here here!  :winner:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:11:15 pm »
"Next spring, Jaguar will launch its first serious volley into the modern compact sport sedan market with the 2017 XE, and today, the British automaker revealed North American versions will get a diesel engine option right off the bat."

Bold move, numbers must be good in the diesel world in order to justify diesel from the get go.

All of the R&D is already paid for, most of the global sales will be diesel anyway.  It's only NA that is catching up a little.

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 01:32:49 pm »
Silly for Jag to not have a car in this segment.

Being new it should get lots of attention because the alternatives have been the same ones for ages.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 03:15:56 pm »
the diesel will generate 180 hp and 318 lb-ft of torque
Both models will be offered in a trio of trims, including Premium, Prestige and R-Sport; rear-drive will be the default, with AWD being an option with both engines, and in any trim.
Well, I think we know which one I'll be getting ;D

Who am I kidding - I love supercharged engines (though I'm a little peeved that they're calling a 3.0L Supercharged V6 the 35t...goddamn it, BMW - 'trend'-setting bastard).

Either way, this is the car I am most anticipating.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 08:12:48 am »
Both models will be offered in a trio of trims, including Premium, Prestige and R-Sport; rear-drive will be the default, with AWD being an option with both engines, and in any trim.

Who am I kidding - I love supercharged engines (though I'm a little peeved that they're calling a 3.0L Supercharged V6 the 35t...goddamn it, BMW - 'trend'-setting bastard).

Don't you mean Audi, with it's 3.0T badging? Anyways, there's speculation that this has been done because Jaguar is replacing it supercharged six with a twin turbo engine.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 04:28:08 pm »

Don't you mean Audi, with it's 3.0T badging? Anyways, there's speculation that this has been done because Jaguar is replacing it supercharged six with a twin turbo engine.
I meant BMW because of the 35 for a 3.0L, but yes, Audi is the "t" for supercharger culprit.

If that's true about the twin-turbo, then I'm a sad panda - I really, really love that 3.0S in the XF.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 07:57:31 pm »

I meant BMW because of the 35 for a 3.0L, but yes, Audi is the "t" for supercharger culprit.

If that's true about the twin-turbo, then I'm a sad panda - I really, really love that 3.0S in the XF.

Turbo/Twin-Turbo > Supercharger.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 08:16:45 pm »

It depends on the application IMHO.  Also, I have no idea if superchargers are more reliable than a twin turbo set up, but TT's seem to have their fair share of horror stories.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 10:42:50 am »
I much prefer the lack of lag in a supercharger.  So smooth.

...but as far as efficiency is concerned?  Yeah, parasitic losses and lack of high-RPM induction output definitely limit the supercharger's appeal.

...hence why I'm so interested in Volvo's twin-charged T6.

...and horribly overcomplicated twin-charged T8 PHEV.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 02:40:57 pm »

It depends on the application IMHO.  Also, I have no idea if superchargers are more reliable than a twin turbo set up, but TT's seem to have their fair share of horror stories.

Depends on the Twin Turbo setup.  I much prefer the setup of the 300ZX and BMW N54 which use 2 of the same size turbos, each fed by 3 cylinders.  You might be thinking the TT setups like the FD3S RX-7 which were not good at all.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »

Depends on the Twin Turbo setup.  I much prefer the setup of the 300ZX and BMW N54 which use 2 of the same size turbos, each fed by 3 cylinders.  You might be thinking the TT setups like the FD3S RX-7 which were not good at all.

No, I was thinking of the BMW N54.