Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Lexus RC F  (Read 27367 times)

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Lexus RC F
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2015, 11:27:21 pm »
If you want a prestige car that isn't a glass cannon, the RC is where it's at. The M4 continues in the long tradition of great cars when they're working, but that isn't going to be as often as a comparable Lexus.

M4 is a prestige car RC is not.....

That's an opinion shared only by German car fanbois, of which I am not.
What can you expect from a Japanese fanboy?
Bombastic

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2015, 11:29:08 pm »
If you want a prestige car that isn't a glass cannon, the RC is where it's at. The M4 continues in the long tradition of great cars when they're working, but that isn't going to be as often as a comparable Lexus.

I agree SirO!!
Ask 50 persons on the street what is a BMW M series and what is Lexus RC. Which one people  will recognize? You can agree whatever you want. RC is NOT a prestige car.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2015 Lexus RC F
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 12:17:01 am »

I agree SirO!!
Ask 50 persons on the street what is a BMW M series and what is Lexus RC. Which one people  will recognize? You can agree whatever you want. RC is NOT a prestige car.

And neither is a 3 series BMW

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 02:16:43 am »
RC F - Remote Control Fun, and it kinda look the part. It will be a while before people start to notice the new Lexus Sports Coupe, and even longer before any significant number of people will pay that kind of money for one. 

Went to the Lexus dealer in Richmond Auto Mall last year, saw the car for very first time, was intrigued by it, by that sticker on the side window shocked me. 

Burn out can be done on the old BMW E30 equipped with LSD, probably can pick one up today for $2000 or less for an almost 30 years old car, and still capable of burn outs, and lotsa money left to buy tires.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:21:02 am by initial_D »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 07:21:23 am »

I agree SirO!!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

It is perceived as one and that is all that maters.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2015, 08:21:48 am »

I agree SirO!!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

You don't think the M3/M4 counts as prestige?

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:10 am »

I agree SirO!!

I think you are arguing two different points. BMW's M Division does have a long history, and is much more likely to be recognized by the layperson. The RC is a new nameplate, and as such, would garner less recognition on name alone.

The true litmus test would be parking them side by side and asking 50 passerby as to the nature of the cars. I would wager that most would agree that both are prestige cars. After all, one is a BMW, and the other, a Lexus.

Speaking from the cheap seats of Civic ownership, I certainly view both as prestige cars!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2015, 10:27:46 am »

What can you expect from a Japanese fanboy?

I doubt anyone on here would see me as a fanboi of any brand.

Ask 50 people on the street what a M car is and you'd get a blank look from 35 of them. 10 would describe them as douchemobiles and the 5 with the flat brimmed caps would say they owned one "brah".
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2015, 10:32:53 am »

I agree SirO!!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

The M brand has an air of special but in Bombastics little experiment, if you put a Lexus and an M3 side by side, grabbed 50 random people and asked them which was one was better I doubt many of them would be able to tell you why the M car is better. All they would see is a Bimmer and a Lexus and probably would be happy with either car. My parents wouldn't be any more impressed if I pulled up with a BMW instead of an RC. In the shiny, happy world of automotive ignorance, as long as it has a premium badge on the grille, thats all that matters.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2015, 01:21:16 pm »

I agree SirO!!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

The M brand has an air of special but in Bombastics little experiment, if you put a Lexus and an M3 side by side, grabbed 50 random people and asked them which was one was better I doubt many of them would be able to tell you why the M car is better. All they would see is a Bimmer and a Lexus and probably would be happy with either car. My parents wouldn't be any more impressed if I pulled up with a BMW instead of an RC. In the shiny, happy world of automotive ignorance, as long as it has a premium badge on the grille, thats all that matters.
We were speaking about Prestige, not which one is better. Ask anyone and they will tell you BMW makes performance cars, Lexus makes reliable comfort cars. Period.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2015, 03:05:08 pm »
Not anyone......us, maybe you might get that but its not like the Wing F Lexus is a brown, old man mobile. The public at large see a badge and I bet quite a few would put Lexus on par with BMW for impressing the neighbors.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2015, 03:10:03 pm »
We were speaking about Prestige, not which one is better. Ask anyone and they will tell you BMW makes performance cars, Lexus makes reliable comfort cars. Period.

Only in your fevered little mind.

BMW has morphed from the "Ultimate Driving Machine" to "Fill Every Niche with Bloated Porkers". Except in Russia, where it shifted into "Blinged Out Mafia Staff Car".

Lexus has every bit as much prestige as the Germans. A huge chunk of Lexus loyalists come from German cars where the finally had enough of detonating HPFPs, cooked turbos and myriad random electronics failures.

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2015, 03:20:29 pm »

BMW has morphed from the "Ultimate Driving Machine" to "Fill Every Niche with Bloated Porkers". Except in Russia, where it shifted into "Blinged Out Mafia Staff Car".

Lexus has every bit as much prestige as the Germans. A huge chunk of Lexus loyalists come from German cars where the finally had enough of detonating HPFPs, cooked turbos and myriad random electronics failures.
"Only in your fevered little mind." - maybe in your pea size brain is NOT like that. Everywhere in Europe BMW is still the ultimate driving machine. Also, can you tell me please, what are the sell stats BWM against Lexus in China, the largest luxury car market?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2015, 03:54:24 pm »
Not anyone......us, maybe you might get that but its not like the Wing F Lexus is a brown, old man mobile. The public at large see a badge and I bet quite a few would put Lexus on par with BMW for impressing the neighbors.

Not around the gold coast.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2015, 04:00:33 pm »

Gold coast??  ??? Que?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2015, 04:02:26 pm »

Gold coast??  ??? Que?

Golden Horseshoe

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2015, 04:39:26 pm »

Gold coast??  ??? Que?

Golden Horseshoe

GTA area??

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2015, 04:40:28 pm »

"Only in your fevered little mind." - maybe in your pea size brain is NOT like that. Everywhere in Europe BMW is still the ultimate driving machine. Also, can you tell me please, what are the sell stats BWM against Lexus in China, the largest luxury car market?

Last time I looked, we weren't in Europe. Their jingoism doesn't translate to North America. Neither are we in China, where they still have a bit of a grudge over the whole WW2 thing, and the ongoing issue of territorial waters.

A substantial number of people in North America simply won't sacrifice reliability for a particular badge. It's the main reason why VW continues to implode in the US. They have very low retention rates for conquest customers. 

For those who desperately want a German brand, they invariably lease for the duration of the warranty, then ditch for a new one before they get worked over with insane repair bills. It works for them, but I wouldn't tolerate it. I haven't been to a dealer for an unscheduled repair since my long gone 1995 Corolla wagon.

All you have to do is look at the tail draggers in reliability scores. They are almost always European brands. Even when those brands are surveyed in Europe, the Japanese are invariably at the top.

Here's the result of a poll of the 20 best car brands printed in the Telegraph. The number one brand? Lexus. Benz was 5th, Audi was 10th, Porsche was 13th, BMW was 15th, VW was 16th.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/10018481/The-20-best-car-brands-listed.html?frame=2343119

The best individual car to own? Lexus IS. The BMW 3/4 is down in 19th place.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/driver-power/91218/best-cars-to-own-in-2015

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:49:12 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2015, 04:48:41 pm »
BMW is steadily losing the UDM reputation. The current 3 Series has poor steering feel and needs the adaptive suspension to handle properly. The 5 series, relative to its past abilities, is a softly-sprung boat (unless you spend $3,500 on Adaptive Drive). In many parts of Europe, if you drive a 3 series, the assumption will be that you're a travelling salesperson with no imagination.

Basically, BMW is chasing sales volume at almost any cost, and trying to create a vehicle for every ridiculous niche. I don't think Audi or Mercedes are much better, except that Audi has pretty consistently embraced being known for its design language and interior detailing. Overall I think the Audi brand is still ascending, while BMW's declines.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2015, 04:54:04 pm »

Gold coast??  ??? Que?

Golden Horseshoe

GTA area??

Yes man  :bang: