Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL  (Read 6713 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL
« on: April 07, 2015, 06:30:40 am »

Soft-core.
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:28:28 am »
The problem, Brendan, with this article is that you placed a little bit of candy at the end called "Turbocharged minx".  After reading that again, *nostalgia!!*, I have totally forgotten about the Rogue.

...and such is its crowning grace:  A truly forgettable experience.  That's what consumers/mall-goers want and need.

As you say, the best feature of the car is the driver's seat.  It's brilliant and is, without a doubt, sufficient to sell droves of this vehicle on its own accord.  The powertrain desperately needs an update, though.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:41:18 am »
"I’d have the temptation to sneak out and see a little turbocharged minx on the side."

Hmm, seems to me that since we are talking about CUV's that the Forester Turbo is your answer.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:56:21 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:50:07 am »
I'm a very active 67 year old accountant and value for features isn't enough for me.  A lot more sportiness and a bit more power coming on at considerably lower tourque numbers, please.

Offline kfish

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14 Nissan Rogue SL; 15 Ram 1500 Laramie Limited Ecodiesel
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:37:17 am »
We purchased an SL about 8 months ago.  She-who-must-be-obeyed has it as her daily driver.  She absolutely loves it.  And I have to admit, so do I.  Granted, we're both pro-Nissan and have been for some time, so there is undoubtedly some cognitive dissonance going on.  Nevertheless, what I perceive to be the value proposition with this new Rogue (particularly the SL) has me questioning the relevance of the Murano we also currently have (which is our third one, BTW); so much so that it's about to be replaced with a full-size pickup.

In all fairness, we have no child seats with which to contend as our kids are solely the four-legged variety.  Also, neither of us has aspirations for NASCAR/F1/etc, so we find the power to be more than sufficient, highway passing or otherwise.  I personally have found there to be far too much emphasis on the nuclear acceleration capabilities of new vehicles these days anyway -- why in the world do I need 300 bhp in ANY vehicle?

Is it a fantastic vehicle?  IMO, yes, especially at it's price.  Is it perfect?  No.  Complaints?  More like minor quibbles:

- I don't like the tilt/telescopic mechanism.  The one in the Murano is much better.
- A little more sound insulation would be nice.  It's not bad, but I think they could have done better.
- I agree with the Xmas lights analogy regarding the daytime LEDs.
- I wish it had the Homelink garage door opener system integrated -- I've become fond of them (and the associated lack of an ugly opening device clamped on a visor).
"You can rob me, you can starve me...and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."  CE

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:07:55 pm »
I'm a very active 67 year old accountant and value for features isn't enough for me.  A lot more sportiness and a bit more power coming on at considerably lower tourque numbers, please.
I hope you meant lower RPM.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 12:41:24 pm »
She-who-must-be-obeyed
Also, neither of us has aspirations for NASCAR/F1/etc, so we find the power to be more than sufficient, highway passing or otherwise.  I personally have found there to be far too much emphasis on the nuclear acceleration capabilities of new vehicles these days anyway -- why in the world do I need 300 bhp in ANY vehicle?
:rofl: You're a noob and you quoted SWMBO!  Loves it.

As for the powertrain, it's not that we want "MOAR POWAH" as we commonly complain about, but we find, compared to the Rogue's competitors, the powertrain is simply not competitive.  It is more gruff, the CVT is more intrusive, and power delivery is not as smooth as is found in, say, the Honda CRV with its 2.4L + CVT.  In the recent comparison, the CVT in the CRV was the favourite transmission of the bunch, so it's not that the CVT is disliked 'generally', but Nissan's really isn't at the top of the pack.

Acceleration in the Rogue is fine, fuel economy is mid-pack and therefore acceptable (though it employs a CVT to do so), but it's not a leader in terms of smoothness or fuel economy.  The criticism that the powertrain should be updated is intended to be constructive.  Nobody here would require it to have 300bhp, and 170hp would be sufficient so long as it's smoother than it is and more fuel efficient.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 06:52:18 pm »
Superb writing. Made me laugh out loud. Manufacturers making doze-mobiles should get you to write the reviews solely to reduce the latent effects of somnambulism, Mr. McAleer.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 10:35:47 am »
I hope you meant lower RPM.

Oops, I meant more tourque at lower RPMs. 

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 11:11:30 pm »
Maybe I'm just more aware given how many times I've seen reviews of the Rogue recently, but there seems to be quite a few of them around where I live.  It would be on my short list to replace the 5 when the time comes.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 09:22:07 am »
Maybe I'm just more aware given how many times I've seen reviews of the Rogue recently, but there seems to be quite a few of them around where I live.  It would be on my short list to replace the 5 when the time comes.

Take a look at the B250 4Matic as well.  After test driving it two weeks ago, I was absolutely blown away. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 12:52:15 pm »
So much better than the previous Rogue.

Very entertaining article as well.  :thumbup:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken